Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bendix
Expatriate

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by bendix »

Why is the VIP section for men only? I can understand why you might want to make it age restricted but it seems odd and unnecessarily divisive to exclude women. Almost Victorian in fact. It's like sending them out after dinner while the man smoke cigars, drink brandy and discuss whores and mistresses.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

The same reason there's a ladies-only forum. Discuss topics that may be personal or of no interest to the opposite sex.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I agree with most of the rest of the site, but i feel that the women-only thing might actually serve to exacerbate exactly what it was created to avoid: the feeling of separateness based on sex. Kind of like Saudi Arabia.

We should post things knowing that women are people too, and that they will be reading our posts.

Women are just a smart as men, if they have something confidential to discuss, they have email, just like us.

Perhaps the men's section, which I'm pretty sure discusses sexual exploits, should be separate from the site.

However, I understand it's not my site, just an opinion.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

bendix wrote:Why is the VIP section for men only? I can understand why you might want to make it age restricted but it seems odd and unnecessarily divisive to exclude women. Almost Victorian in fact. It's like sending them out after dinner while the man smoke cigars, drink brandy and discuss whores and mistresses.
I don't know that the VIP Nightlife section is restricted to men, is it? I think if a woman requests access, she will be given it. Admins to confirm this?
I quite like the separate women's section. They can go in there and emote to each other about shallow men and the dearth of decent hunky guys, and whatever else they feel like. Sounds ok to me.
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

jah steu wrote:
bendix wrote:Why is the VIP section for men only? I can understand why you might want to make it age restricted but it seems odd and unnecessarily divisive to exclude women. Almost Victorian in fact. It's like sending them out after dinner while the man smoke cigars, drink brandy and discuss whores and mistresses.
I don't know that the VIP Nightlife section is restricted to men, is it? I think if a woman requests access, she will be given it. Admins to confirm this?
I quite like the separate women's section. They can go in there and emote to each other about shallow men and the dearth of decent hunky guys, and whatever else they feel like. Sounds ok to me.
Since I would never actually visit such a decrepit place on the Internet this is a hypothetical but if women were allowed access I'd want all my posts from said section removed. You never know when they'll be used against you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Ttr
Expatriate

Post by Ttr »

vladimir wrote:Ttr, are you made in Japan or China?

Most Ttr's are made in China now.
I should have chosen TVR, made in Blackpool.
(the car, not me).
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

First big welcome to the new members. Thanks for giving us a look gang.

I'm working on a ton of shit atm, but I WILL get back to those PMs I've been sent... promise.

As for the ladies in the VIP section... we don't have a good way to ID the genders... so use at your own risk. If someone goes in there and starts making trouble, we'll deal with it as it arises. If a lesbian wants in... let her. We'll just watch.

Though why a woman would want to go and read about male sexploits, etc who is NOT a lesbian is beyond me.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Put that way, I like the idea of a men's only VIP section even more, though I prefer bourbon.

I also agree with the ladies having their own restricted section.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

General Mackevili wrote:Could you share the link to the site you're talking about so I can take a look? If you prefer to PM it instead, that's fine too.
http://www.politicsforum.org/forum/index.php
You have to join up in order to access the basement (moderation forum). If you have any more questions let me know.

PS- Your avatar is really disturbing and off putting. Can't you use the cute one from before??
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

bendix wrote:
Why is the VIP section for men only?
Satiated Parrot wrote:
The same reason there's a ladies-only forum. Discuss topics that may be personal or of no interest to the opposite sex.
^Bingo.

And it's no more "Victorian" than most businesses that have separate areas for men and women's restrooms.
vladimir wrote:
Perhaps the men's section, which I'm pretty sure discusses sexual exploits, should be separate from the site.
And that is precisely why it's a VIP restricted access forum. For people like you who feel the same way and want nothing to do with it. Win/Win.
jah steu wrote: I don't know that the VIP Nightlife section is restricted to men, is it? I think if a woman requests access, she will be given it. Admins to confirm this?
We have already announced on this thread that pretty much anyone who asked to be allowed in will be allowed in.

That's important to remember. It is not an invite only section. There is no vouching system in place.

Anyone who posts anything on the internet in 2014 should be aware that nothing is totally private, but the way wee have it set up makes it a lot more private than the rest of the site.

The last thing we'd want to do is give anyone a false sense of privacy.

Even if we had a vouching system it would eventually have problems, so we're avoiding that all together.

Also, I should think it's fair to say it's GENERALLY a section for males.

How many "host bars" are there in Cambodia compared to "hostess bars"?

How many places have "man drinks" on their menus instead of "lady drinks"?

I've lived here a while and have honestly never heard of either one existing.

Again, The Dragon and I are about as non-sexist/non-racist/non-discriminating as you can get, so please don't think it's like that at all.

And even though it's called the "Nightlife" section, you can discuss things that happen while the sun is up, but it's GENERALLY going to be about things that happen at night.

Again, making it VIP access that needs approval is just one step to take it away from public view, but by no means makes it 100% hidden from everyone you might not prefer is in there.

I'm happy with this setup.
Digg3r wrote: Since I would never actually visit such a decrepit place on the Internet this is a hypothetical but if women were allowed access I'd want all my posts from said section removed. You never know when they'll be used against you.
LoL. Yet another reason we let people sign up with whatever name they want to use and don't have them verify their identities.

Maybe we should start making everyone send us a scanned copy of their birth certificates before adding them to either group! Now we're on to something!

Anyways, thanks for the feedback from you all, it's very useful for us to have your input on everything. :good:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic