Poll: 350 mpg challenge, PP to Kampong Cham (125 km) on 1 litre.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

125km/l or 353 mpg or 0.8L/100, do you think it's possible?

Yes (given the right conditions)
43%
No (despite good conditions)
57%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 7
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Poll: 350 mpg challenge, PP to Kampong Cham (125 km) on 1 litre.

Post by AE86 »

I figured to post up here too, just in case anyone doesn't frequent the K440 Cars Bikes section.

Anyway, I'm heading to Kampong Cham in a few weeks, and the goal is to build a scooter that will get me there from Phnom Penh on 1 litre of fuel, which equals 353 mpg or 0.8L/100km.

The bike in question is a Honda Giorcub (not a Super Cub), 4 speed clutched manual full faring scooter. It features a 49cc, 3.5 horsepower engine and 0-100 time of impossible, top speed of 55 kph.

As of now, (this is my second one of these), I've managed to top out at "just" 70 km/l (190 mpg or 1.4L/100) but it think it can do better with a little tinkering. To be honest though, I have no idea if it's even possible, and this build is more shooting for the stars than anything.

Wanting to see what you all think (or if you care :D) and if you think it's possible.

I'll be making the ride in a few weeks, building up the scooter in the meantime on this thread.

So far here are the preliminary build steps of the scooter. Engine is apart.

Alright, cracked open the motor and found a few areas where I can save on some internal friction.

Cases...

Firstly, big drive bearings that I suspect it had. I know bearings are bearings, nearly eliminating all friction in the first place, but the smaller the surface area, the lower the friction. Small gains, probably not worth it, too late bought the parts already...

Located some small cases for it.

Drive bearing size comparison.

Carburetor on these beast seems to flow well...maybe a little too well.

I think restricting it with a mini carb would help...

As would putting on a cylinder head with pea sized valves and ports. :D

Looks like there's some gains to be had at the expense of a little power. I'm guess I'll end up with a 2 3/4 horsepower machine when I'm done, :lol:

Have fun reading
-Akira
Last edited by AE86 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-insert signature here
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Poll: 350 mpg challenge, PP to Kampong Cham (125 km) on 1 litre.

Post by Username Taken »

Can you add another choice to the poll? "Yes, under the right conditions."
Tadpole
Expatriate

Post by Tadpole »

Great idea! If you make it, get the newspapers to report on it.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^I've been in U.S. and Japanese local news for hypermiling events and there's never any interest from the public usually. One of "our guys" did 30 mpg in a V8 Ford F-350 and the general response was "Fff, I'm not going to drive nicely to save on fuel..."

UT, that's just a "Yes" then?
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

you can do it boss, we have faith in you bro!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Got an engine cobbled together today:

Small port/valve cylinder head, small bearing cases, small oil pump, small final drive gear and small carb, but still kept the original 8.8:1 CR piston. 10W-40 oil. Standard rocker arms because I couldn't find rollers available for a 50.

Power is SEVERELY DIMINISHED :lol:

Preliminary runs have me sitting at 84 km/l (237 mpg, 1.19L/100km).

I haven't got the jetting right yet and it's running a tad rich, and the spark plug is one degree too hot, but I'm sort of doubting that jetting is going to find me the extra 40 km/l I need, so I'm now looking at a higher compression setup already and some more drastic engine measures.

To be continued.
-insert signature here
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Well that was boring.

127.7 km/l (361 mpg or .783L/100km) over a 1 hour ride today, GPS verified.

Backed off two sizes on the jetting, colder plug, thinner oil (SAE 30), pumped up tyres to 45 psi and cruised up the country side roads. Got stopped by the police even, but had docs in order and all was well. They found the external petrol bottle amusing.

I guess this wont be so much a "will I make it?", but how far can I go on how little. I guess I'll need to make a new poll or something.
-insert signature here
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Interesting that on this forum you have 3 Positive votes and 3 Negative votes.
OTOF it's all negative. 8 'No' votes.

I wonder if any of them change their tune after this latest information.
Tadpole
Expatriate

Post by Tadpole »

AE86 is the Gandalf of two-strokes.

Thou shall not pass me at 35kmh
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Username Taken wrote:Interesting that on this forum you have 3 Positive votes and 3 Negative votes.
OTOF it's all negative. 8 'No' votes.

I wonder if any of them change their tune after this latest information.
I haven't been able to log in for the last two or three days, I keep getting a "Server Unexpectedly Dropped Connection", so I have no way to update over there. Not sure why though, here is fine, as is everywhere else.

The results were a bit of a surprise to me though. I wasn't expecting much passed 100 km/l with luck on my side, so to break 125 already kind of took the fun out of this whole challenge.

Tadpole wrote:AE86 is the Gandalf of two-strokes.
It's a 4 stroke though.

I'm a "Fool of a Took" when it comes to 2 strokes, therefore I stick 4 strokes.

Anyway, thinking of what next to aim for. Anything over the goal is just fluff, which seems kind of boring now.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic