Buying and owning parrots/monkeys

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Buying and owning parrots/monkeys

Post by StroppyChops »

Does anyone have any experience with buying and owning parrots or small monkeys in Cambodia?

Parrots - interested in Indian ringnecks, macaws, similar. Where to buy, prices, health issues in Cambodia etc?

Monkeys - regulations about keeping them, what (if any) species are available, which ones make successful pets, do they respond if you name them Cambod?

Uncle Google seems to be fairly quiet on this topic, which is unusual.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Buying and owning parrots/monkeys

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:
Monkeys - regulations about keeping them, what (if any) species are available, which ones make successful pets, do they respond if you name them Cambod?
Pffft.

From what I understand, it's illegal to own a monkey as a pet here, but like all the other rules and regulations here, is ignored.

I almost bought a monkey from one of the booksellers here, and that's when a few Cambodians in the tourism industry said it was illegal.

I was also sad and surprised to find out how many of my Facebook friends in the West thought it was a cruel idea.

There can't possibly be a better pet though! ImageImage
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

I agree that a monkey would be fun, but I've heard that they're an absolute headache. Attacking guests, ripping up couches and curtains, throwing shit etc.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Satiated Parrot wrote: ...they're an absolute headache. Attacking guests, ripping up couches and curtains, throwing shit etc.
Fuck all that noise! Those also happen to be the exact same reasons I never date bar girls.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I generally like most animals, but monkeys/baboons/apes are OK in the wild, but horrible as pets/when they come into frequent contacts with humans in built-up areas.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I personally would report any person owning one to WildAid immediately.

I hope you have a large aviary if you intend getting a parrot, not some horrible 1m3 metal cage.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

An American friend in Vietnam was given a young male monkey. He got rid of it after it started raping his 2 cats. Solitary monkeys in captivity can go crazy and become quite violent! Stick with parrots!
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Parrots can be nuts as well. Mine would attack anyone which came near me. They also require a lot of care and attention. If you want a low-maintenance pet, get a budgie.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I know someone who goes over to Trat to get birds, apparently there's a place just over the border than sells them. I think he said an African Grey parrot was $150 or $200.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

giblet wrote:I know someone who goes over to Trat to get birds, apparently there's a place just over the border than sells them. I think he said an African Grey parrot was $150 or $200.
Please don't buy one!

From arkive.org:

African grey parrot threats

Habitat loss, particularly the loss of large nesting trees, is likely to be having a significant impact on African grey parrot populations. However, the main threat is the capture of large numbers of wild individuals for the international pet trade (2) (13). Estimates suggest that up to a fifth of the global population may be harvested annually to be sold as pets, though actual numbers captured are likely to be higher than those officially recorded, due to the number of birds that die during capture or transport, and due to illegal trade (2) (13).

Worryingly, there also appears to be an increasing market for parrot heads and tail feathers, which are being harvested for purported medicinal purposes, and which are more easily stored and transported than live birds (14).

African grey parrot conservation

The African grey parrot is still numerous and found over a wide range, and occurs in a number of protected areas such as Salonga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This park is a World Heritage Site and the largest tropical rainforest reserve in Africa, although political instability there makes protection difficult (15). However, despite trade being monitored to some extent under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) (4), current levels are considered unsustainable and the African grey parrot is now in decline (2) (13).

Conservation measures proposed for the African grey parrot include reducing quotas and banning exports from some countries, as well as attempting tighter control of trade and increased monitoring and research (2) (13). It has been suggested that the population of African grey parrots on Príncipe should be treated separately in terms of its conservation, as it is heavily harvested. Conservation of this isolated and perhaps unique population should be aided by the fact that it is the symbol of the island (9).

The import of wild-caught African grey parrots is now banned in the USA and in Europe (16) (17) (18), and this may further help to decrease the level of trade in this highly intelligent bird. However, more research may now be needed into the trade in parrot heads and feathers if this emerging threat is to be effectively countered (14).
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Satiated Parrot wrote:Attacking guests, ripping up couches and curtains, throwing shit etc.
General Mackevili wrote:Those also happen to be the exact same reasons I never date bar girls.
LOL! Ba dum Tish! They're here all week, tip your waitress.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic