Road rage foreigner

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Road rage foreigner

Post by Joker Poker »

Once again today I had a knob try to pass me on the inside as I'm turning. Even though I had the indicator on, looked in my mirror saw the fool and then hand signaled my intention to turn. With him till persisting, I shouted "ídiot" and the retard pulled back and gave up.

This has happened on numerous occasions, but only once, at the St 51 traffic lights, with a Barang. Think he might have been doing a few lines of something and was like an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Question for Samouth:

Can you translate Khmer driving into a kind of how they think of others thing? Not meant to be a loaded question, but I see so much cuntish driving, especially in the provinces. I just wonder what on earth is going on in their minds. Do they really think that they are that important, driving their clapped out old Camry, or their graft funded Lexus?

I assume that it is just a manifestation of their true personality, and the scary thing is that it is so prevalent.

Also, why not let people cross the road? Why the cuntish behaviour when someone wants to cross the road? I was trying to cross St 19 recently and this prick on a moto sped up and aimed right at me, swerving at the last moment. He very nearly collected an elbow in the face - missed him by about an inch.

Cheers,

JP.

Not been on much lately, combination of being bogged down with other things and giving up because of the slow loading of CEO pages.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

LTO wrote: In my observation, foreigners are some of the most unsafe drivers here. Much more likely than Khmers to do things like not wear a helmet, make unsafe left turns or cut across traffic inappropriately. But I don't think it's entitlement. It's ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance of the local ways of doing things and the arrogance to believe their hasty interpretation of what they see is correct. They look around and see a lack of law in Cambodian driving and interpret it as a lack of rules, imagining that means they can do whatever they want, when in fact there are broad rules, habits and patterns to which most people adhere, if at least generally, which does make traffic predictable. Or almost as bad, they try to apply western traffic sense to Cambodian traffic, and end up raging over something like improper lane usage (and looking the right fool in Khmer eyes on multiple levels.) None of which is to say that the way driving and traffic works in Cambodia is good, but it is the way it works.
I don't know where you make your observations but they seem kind of undifferentiated. Did you ever observe traffic or even drive on the highways or in the provincial towns? And after 6 p.m. Khmer usually ditch their helmets because there is no police around. Why don't you go down Norodom on a Friday night? Nothing is ever predictable with Khmer driving, and surely this is not how it works. 1800 traffic deaths so far this year really don't speak for this kind of remark. Of course, one has to adapt to the local way, not only when it comes to traffic. But the way Khmer ride their little scooters, and drive their cars and trucks, one is tempted to think that all these people have no brains, no common sense at all. There is a certain nationality that does act and think the way you describe but they are in the minority. Now, my observation is that most foreigners do drive carefully, unless they are drunk. It's definitely not the tourists who risk their lives in traffic here. It's the expats - again, of course, with the exception that proves the rule.
Ted
Tourist

Post by Ted »

Hi

I am a foreigner too and I do notice that there is unfair practise especially to foreigner. Eg When the traffic is in amber, or green yet to turn red. Traffic police will target foreigner driven vehicle but let the local go. This I witness several times. Not saying that other part of the world is a perfect place to live in but rather pissed off with this unfair practise. However I am agreeable or happy to paying more if it is properly written eg entrance fees to places of interest and that exclude pp airport.

Recently my friend also complain about local driver whereby he was "challenge" by another Cambodian driven car. It was a narrow lane near kakibi hotel. He kept to his side of the road while the Cambodian driver refuse to make way for him even though there is a side pathway for the other driver. My friend reverse but that Cambodian driver still high beam him. My friend has no choice as he is blocked by old Cambodian car and waited until a guard came over to help. The driver of that old car even want my friend to wind down the window to "talk" as both car passes through. That S hole driver raise his voice while my friend ignore him as he don't understand Khmer and move on for their dinner.

My friend told me they were cursing the Cambodian car driver in their heart that the Cambodian driver is going to be like his car plate number 2124. When translated in Chinese , it mean hungry first then hungry die .:lol:

If it happens in Singapore, he will put the car recording on internet and shame that driver, Singapore police will also step in to teach the driver a lesson not to be a road bully. Too bad this is Cambodia and not friendly to foreigner.
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Road rage hell!Cambodians are the only people who give me pedestrian rage. Not only can they neither negotiate the streets with a vehicle they tend to herd together on sidewalks (if they haven't already parked there. There is just no sense of personal space I've even given up on their ability ty to sit properly. If I ride a bus I buy two tickets since every Cambodian male feels entitled to his seat and half of mine or else the females carry all their shopping acquisitions so that there's no leg room. Can't sit or walk properly and you're surprised they can't drive?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Joker Poker wrote:Once again today I had a knob try to pass me on the inside as I'm turning. Even though I had the indicator on, looked in my mirror saw the fool and then hand signaled my intention to turn. With him till persisting, I shouted "ídiot" and the retard pulled back and gave up.

This has happened on numerous occasions, but only once, at the St 51 traffic lights, with a Barang. Think he might have been doing a few lines of something and was like an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Question for Samouth:

Can you translate Khmer driving into a kind of how they think of others thing? Not meant to be a loaded question, but I see so much cuntish driving, especially in the provinces. I just wonder what on earth is going on in their minds. Do they really think that they are that important, driving their clapped out old Camry, or their graft funded Lexus?

I assume that it is just a manifestation of their true personality, and the scary thing is that it is so prevalent.

Also, why not let people cross the road? Why the cuntish behaviour when someone wants to cross the road? I was trying to cross St 19 recently and this prick on a moto sped up and aimed right at me, swerving at the last moment. He very nearly collected an elbow in the face - missed him by about an inch.

Cheers,

JP.

Not been on much lately, combination of being bogged down with other things and giving up because of the slow loading of CEO pages.

Good post this. That overtaking when one is trying to turn left or right with their indicator on feels by far the most dangerous thing that I encounter regularly. They will get me one day as I have had so many near misses that my luck must be near to running out. I have actually seen them move over from a clear road so that they can pass me on the right side if I'm turning left, almost as in a game of lets frighten the foreigner. Also the point from an earlier post about cutting blind corners at speed. I am also acutely aware of Cambodians pulling out, at speed and without looking, onto main roads from side streets.

As far as Cambodians realizing they are the worst drivers in the world in so many ways. Just look at Samouth's post on this thread. Totally unaware...

Incidentally, The OP and another new member T rather remind me of a letters to the editor of the KT. Do CEO now have T.Mohan as an active poster (or 2)?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i had a bad crash on my moto about a year ago, i just gone round the golden lion round about and heading to downtown, i just pull out the round about and im faced with a moto with 3khmer males driving at me quite fast, no lights on, on the wrong side of the road, no time to move, ended up hitting head on, smashed up my bike and my shoulder, the cunts then quickly pick up their moto and quickly scoot off!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic