What are your favourite hangover cures ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: What are your favourite hangover cures ?

Post by wackyjacky »

I have worked and owned bars all my life. My own 40 year research which no doubt includes way more hangovers, and I believe that the previous study is bullshit. This is what works: Big meal 1st. This will settle your stomach against the depredations to come. Pint of water with every cocktail. More water before sleep combined with Ibuprofen or Aspirin. No Acetaminophen, it's toxic to your liver. Alcohol is a diuretic, plus it takes a lot of water for your liver to do it's job. So you will be dehydrated. Alcohol is converted to acetaldehyde and then to acetate which causes inflammation all over your body and is the source of your headache. That's why you eat an anti-inflammatory. Stuff that gets decent barrel aging (red wine, Whiskeys, Cognac etc) will give you a worse hangover due to Cogeners which are basically toxins left over from the fermentation and aging processes. American Whiskey aged in charred oak barrels is the worst. I am looking at you J D ! So the darker your liquor, the more toxins. Beer has a lot of the nasty shit from fermentation. A craft beer has more, that's why it tastes so good. One will have 3X as much as a Scotch. I like a shot and a beer a s much as the next guy, but you might as well be drinking hangover juice. The last thing you want in the morning, exercise will get rid of your hangover much quicker than laying around all day too. After I have avoided all these protocols, I prefer a big greasy breakfast and opiates. Avoid those like Paracetamol that includes Acetaminophen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

going off what you said about the darker the alcohol.... Jager gives me a stinking hangover! would that be due to the dark nature of the alcohol?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

No, it isn't barrel aged, but who the fuck knows what is in Jaegie ? There' a shiltoad of herbs in the mix. Kinda like Chartreuse, which will give you an even worse hang over. I got drunk with their national sales manager once and he admitted to Valerian Root. It's an herb with Valium like properties. IME, sugary stuff gives you worse hangovers. Insulin could have something to do with it, the extra stress on the liver, increased acetates, or maybe you just drink more of them because they don't mess up your stomach like shots of Bourbon or Tequila. Or all of the above. IIWY, I'd switch to Fernet. It tastes like ass, so you'll do fewer shots. Imagine Jaegie with 80% of the sugar missing.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:going off what you said about the darker the alcohol.... Jager gives me a stinking hangover! would that be due to the dark nature of the alcohol?
Jäger gives you a hangover because it was created by the devil himself.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Absolute cunt -----> :evil: <------ 'orrible Bastard
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:beer3: It's that time of the year again, so here's a helpful article to help you with those hangovers:
DEALING WITH THOSE QUICKFIRE lIGHTNING SHOCKS OF EMBARRASSED MEMORY THAT SNIPE THROUGH YOUR HEAD, PTSD FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE

At some crucial point in your hangover your evening splays itself in front of you like a Prodigy video as you fit, lavishly, into stasis, rendered unworkable by the reality of The Shit You Do When You Are Drunk.
This is how you die: a 2001: A Space Odyssey journey through a space inhabited by your worst drunken behaviors and most terrible spat sentences, flashing before you as a single tear winds its way out of your face, as you replay yourself trying to air kiss someone hello and headbutting them instead, as you suddenly judderingly remember vomiting into your hands inside a taxi and then just sitting there, like, holding it?
:bad:
https://www.vice.com/en_au/read/the-vic ... govers-240
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic