Have you ever been called "Ah" in Khmer?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Have you ever been called

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:what would a good response it say in reply if you hear someone call you "Ah Barang"

what would be an appropriate response to a stranger and also to someone you know/friend
Highly unlikely that a stranger would call you "Ah" anything. Unless you really pissed them off.

You could possibly counter with "Ah Ch'gai" or "Ah Ch'guot". But just to be on the safe side, be sure you're wearing your Fight Club t-shirt. :wink:
cool Dog/Crazy, my usual responses :whip: :plus1: :thumb:
when messing about with friends i commonly used to put the Ah' on the front but without realising there was any significance to it, as id heard them do it lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:what would a good response it say in reply if you hear someone call you "Ah Barang"

what would be an appropriate response to a stranger and also to someone you know/friend
Highly unlikely that a stranger would call you "Ah" anything. Unless you really pissed them off.

You could possibly counter with "Ah Ch'gai" or "Ah Ch'guot". But just to be on the safe side, be sure you're wearing your Fight Club t-shirt. :wink:
Hey Jamie, never ever call me this okay and i never call you Ah Barang too. I am easily to lose my temper. :assasin:

By the way Ch'gai means dog and Chgout means stupid.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

Hey Jamie, never ever call me this okay and i never call you Ah Barang too. I am easily to lose my temper. :assasin:

you get angry at me Ah' Samouth?? :twisted: hahahaha
i am English we like to tease our friends, you should research the word "banter" :good:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

i am English we like to tease our friends, you should research the word "banter" :good:
ok watch out when you are in Cambodia. :assasin:

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

ok watch out when you are in Cambodia. :assasin:
:assasin: :dragonchase: :twisted:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Have you ever been called "Ah" in Khmer?

Post by rozzieoz »

I just get called mup mup :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

rozzieoz wrote:I just get called mup mup :)
it is good that you don't mind it. I could feel that the person who called you mup mup just teasing you in a very loving way. No insulting there.

looking from picture, i think Jamie is bigger than me. i think i can call him mup mup or k'mup. :lol:

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

I'm sure we covered it earlier on when discussing it, but i cba to sieve through the previous pages lol
i have quite a lot of friends on facebook who put "Ah" at the start of their names, what is the reason for putting in front of their own names?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:I'm sure we covered it earlier on when discussing it, but i cba to sieve through the previous pages lol
i have quite a lot of friends on facebook who put "Ah" at the start of their names, what is the reason for putting in front of their own names?
Are they female? If so, it is really normal. For woman, to put ah before their names mean to make it sound cute.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:I'm sure we covered it earlier on when discussing it, but i cba to sieve through the previous pages lol
Are they female? If so, it is really normal. For woman, to put ah before their names mean to make it sound cute.
:thumb: :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic