Your speaking khmer attempts

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Your speaking khmer attempts

Post by Username Taken »

Samouth wrote:Yol ort: yol nov.
Virajoe wrote:Can you write that in khmer? It's very difficult to pronounce transcribed khmer unless you already know the words/phrases.
Agree with Virajoe.

Samouth and Little Moon, can you also write in Khmer script. A lot of the Romanized Khmer is difficult to read.

Thanks. :good: :Bravo: :Rose:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:"yol ort" meaning please? :) its something ive learnt before but my minds gone blank :(
Do you understand?

:hattip:
thanks, no idea why its not in my notes
thanks bro :thumb:
Yol ort: yol nov.
yol ort & yol nov the same meaning?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Mr. Yan wrote:Jamie, I think the equivalent to "ey ke" would be an informal "what?", or more specifically like the English word "huh?" For example if I didn't hear or understand you sitting next to you at a bar I might say "huh?" between us, but I wouldn't say "huh?" to someone in a more respectful or formal setting. I think this is true for "ey ke". Once again though, probably good to double check.
You are right on this Mr Yan. You should also know this, we consider it rude for younger people to say ey ke with old people.
is this rude in the sense, that you should take offense, or they are just speaking out of term, like they are speaking to you as an equal (age) instead of older (should show more respect) ??
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:
Samouth wrote:Yol ort: yol nov.
Virajoe wrote:Can you write that in khmer? It's very difficult to pronounce transcribed khmer unless you already know the words/phrases.
Agree with Virajoe.

Samouth and Little Moon, can you also write in Khmer script. A lot of the Romanized Khmer is difficult to read.

Thanks. :good: :Bravo: :Rose:

it is not that hard for us to write everything in Khmer. However i wonder how many people on this forum can really read khmer.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:"yol ort" meaning please? :) its something ive learnt before but my minds gone blank :(
Do you understand?

:hattip:
thanks, no idea why its not in my notes
thanks bro :thumb:
Yol ort: yol nov.
yol ort & yol nov the same meaning?
yes they are the same. Youl nov Jamie? :lol:

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Mr. Yan wrote:Jamie, I think the equivalent to "ey ke" would be an informal "what?", or more specifically like the English word "huh?" For example if I didn't hear or understand you sitting next to you at a bar I might say "huh?" between us, but I wouldn't say "huh?" to someone in a more respectful or formal setting. I think this is true for "ey ke". Once again though, probably good to double check.
You are right on this Mr Yan. You should also know this, we consider it rude for younger people to say ey ke with old people.
is this rude in the sense, that you should take offense, or they are just speaking out of term, like they are speaking to you as an equal (age) instead of older (should show more respect) ??
if you think the person is younger or the same age as you, you can use it and you pretty much can use it anytime with your close friends.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
if you think the person is younger or the same age as you, you can use it and you pretty much can use it anytime with your close friends.
:thumb: :thumb:
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
This is one of those sayings I wish I didn't use so much, it's a bit of a catch all, and can be used and abused. I definitely occasionally use it with older people but fortunately it's people I know. If I didn't understand what someboby spoke, I'll try to use ''Tha mech bong?''. Hopefully that's not considered rude, I'm not quite sure actually!?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Raybull wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
This is one of those sayings I wish I didn't use so much, it's a bit of a catch all, and can be used and abused. I definitely occasionally use it with older people but fortunately it's people I know. If I didn't understand what someboby spoke, I'll try to use ''Tha mech bong?''. Hopefully that's not considered rude, I'm not quite sure actually!?
Wow you sound really like local Raybull by saying Tha Mech. Tha mech is not considered as rude. It is really good to use it for such situation. Jamie you definitely need to meet him and ask him to teach you some khmer phrases to make you more local when speaking khmer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic