Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

Post by phuketrichard »

find a few hobbies,
buy a kindle an load it with books
if ur in sr or shv, buy a bicycle ( PP its just to much traffic)
walk around town ( SR & PP)
Take up painting
Learn Khmer

if you never spent much time in bars/pubs why start, just cause its cheap?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

phuketrichard wrote:find a few hobbies,
Take up painting
Learn Khmer

Mate, you're preaching heresy right now. You're on very dangerous ground. Not spend the majority of your time and $$ on boozing? Right. Why would you be here otherwise?

Hobbies? Reading? Writing? Art? Working out? Swimming?

Get real - who wants to do that shite in Cambodia? You can do that stuff back home...here you can black out whilst driving, not care about other people's safety or welfare, die without anyone else caring whatsoever, have unprotected sex with females on the street for under $5.00...

In other words, complete and unfettered sweet freedom!!!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

dagenham wrote:
Mate, you're preaching heresy right now. You're on very dangerous ground. Not spend the majority of your time and $$ on boozing? Right. Why would you be here otherwise?

Get real - who wants to do that shite in Cambodia? You can do that stuff back home...here you can black out whilst driving, not care about other people's safety or welfare, die without anyone else caring whatsoever, have unprotected sex with females on the street for under $5.00...
Stop being such a drama queen lol. Nobody has said anything remotely like that. You are making stuff up, just to lecture us!
dagenham wrote:
I don't probably know anyone here who doesn't drink everyday
The $4 bar crawl guys don't drink every day. They work long hours on the internet. They blow off steam for $4. You just made a drama queen type of assumption. You were wrong, and probably wrong about a whole lot of other moderate drinkers. If you want to talk about something else , apart from alcohol, then post about rent, food or anything other living expenses, rather than being so judgemental of others.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

dagenham wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:find a few hobbies,
Take up painting
Learn Khmer

Hobbies? Reading? Writing? Art? Working out? Swimming?

In other words, complete and unfettered sweet freedom!!!
I am so glad to see that Dags finally came around and accepted the expat style of life here. Good on you for keeping an open mind about things. Dags, I want to buy you a beer, I just finished 5, I will drive as fast as I can with no helmet and meet you at Garage? First 5 Whiskeys on me.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

UKJ wrote:
dagenham wrote:

Stop being such a drama queen lol. Nobody has said anything remotely like that. You are making stuff up, just to lecture us!
Wrong, Mate. I was describing meself and why I'm here.
dagenham wrote:
I don't probably know anyone here who doesn't drink everyday
UKJ wrote:The $4 bar crawl guys don't drink every day. They work long hours on the internet. They blow off steam for $4. You just made a drama queen type of assumption. You were wrong, and probably wrong about a whole lot of other moderate drinkers. If you want to talk about something else , apart from alcohol, then post about rent, food or anything other living expenses, rather than being so judgemental of others.
Who's being judgmental? It's a fact. Most everyone here in PP drinks everyday. Moderation is a slippery word to define. For some it's 1-3 drinks daily while for others it's 12-15...whatever...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

dagenham wrote:
Most everyone here in PP drinks everyday.
The $4 bar crawl was in Snooky!

I think your default thought pattern assumes everyone drinks everyday, as you seem to have a bit of an obsession about drinkers. There was reason for you to think it about the $4 guys , so you may just think that about PP expats. I doubt most drink every day.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

UKJ wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Most everyone here in PP drinks everyday.
The $4 bar crawl was in Snooky!

I think your default thought pattern assumes everyone drinks everyday, as you seem to have a bit of an obsession about drinkers. There was reason for you to think it about the $4 guys , so you may just think that about PP expats. I doubt most drink every day.
Are you kidding? There probably isn't one person on this here forum who doesn't have at least 1 drink a day (and, of course, many have more). I personally don't know of anyone who doesn't drink daily and gets drunk at least once a week (if not more times).

I'm not judging here - I'm simply looking around. You think PP is a church missionary training center? Or? These people largely function (to varying degrees) with jobs, families, responsibilities, etc. - I'm not necessarily talking about the layabouts at GSM.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Speak for yourself. Before today I did not have a drunk for over 48 hours.

I did make up for it with 3 bloody Mary's with breakfast though.
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

Mon , tues, Weds, Thurs, I don't drink unless they are holidays. I used to drink every day and did for years (20+) but I've seen the effects here and they ain't pretty, so i'm trying to get better.However , saying that , it's just about 2 in the afternoon and I've already knocked back 12 cans, although i was up at 4 for an hour of yoga , then in the gym for another hour and a half .
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

horace wrote:Mon , tues, Weds, Thurs, I don't drink unless they are holidays. I used to drink every day and did for years (20+) but I've seen the effects here and they ain't pretty, so i'm trying to get better.However , saying that , it's just about 2 in the afternoon and I've already knocked back 12 cans, although i was up at 4 for an hour of yoga , then in the gym for another hour and a half .

Sounds like a balanced approach. A few days abstinence each week is a healthy thing and a moderate amount of exercise.

It is a routing I would like to think I can follow when I arrive later this year but the temptations are high, lol
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Locked Previous topicNext topic