Electric oven. Reasonable?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Electric oven. Reasonable?

Post by Username Taken »

StroppyChops wrote:We're in the market for a bench top electric oven, found this for $120. Any thoughts on price, alternate suggestions?

The answer is in the brand name. So it looks to be 'No Morries, mate!!'. :Yahoo!:

:beer3:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Check out the "Just showing off" thread in the Getting Your Fill section. You can see my Akira oven. I've had it for two years and bought it for 50$ at Sunsimexco on Sihanouk. I use it in spurts. Sometimes I don't use it for two months, while at other time it seems I use it 4 times per week. Cheap and you can cook anything with it (but costs less than a full-sized oven). I also saw a really nice oven for 60$ or so at Home Top on Mao Tsé Tung. Really sturdy looking with rugged knobs and all. Two grills. Check it out.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Check out the "Just showing off" thread in the Getting Your Fill section. You can see my Akira oven. I've had it for two years and bought it for 50$ at Sunsimexco on Sihanouk. I use it in spurts. Sometimes I don't use it for two months, while at other time it seems I use it 4 times per week. Cheap and you can cook anything with it (but costs less than a full-sized oven). I also saw a really nice oven for 60$ or so at Home Top on Mao Tsé Tung. Really sturdy looking with rugged knobs and all. Two grills. Check it out.
Cheers - looks like it's worth shopping around a bit.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Check out the "Just showing off" thread in the Getting Your Fill section. You can see my Akira oven.
This one:

Just running through that thread and seeing what you make in it, . . . . . . . . . . . . I want one! :thumb:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Ganja cookies?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I would wait till the electric bill comes before celebrating.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

You can cook whatever you want Vlad... ;)

The bill isn't that high, but I do see a slight increase if I've used it a lot that month. But honestly, it's not significant. It's 1380 watts, so not exactly insane. If you were to set it to maximum and cook for one hour (rare), it would cost you 0.25c. Do that 3X/week=4-5$/month. I've never noticed a big bump though to be honest. I remember being skeptical about those little toaster ovens at first, but you really can cook anything in them. Chicken nuggets, pastries, pies, pizza etc. But obviously cooking with an oven takes more time/effort than just frying up something.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

According to figures from the Energy Saving Trust, gas and electric ovens use the same amount of energy units, in the 200s of kWh per year, but the much higher price of electricity compared with gas makes electric ovens far more expensive to run.

On average, gas ovens cost around £9 a year to run, whereas electric ovens cost around £44 a year, so installing a gas oven gives you an annual saving of £35.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Depends on the price of electricity vs gas. Where I come from electricity is dirt cheap so no point in using gas. Electric ovens traditionally also hold their temperature better than gas ovens, though I think this might have changed recently given advances in technology.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Electric ovens traditionally also hold their temperature better than gas ovens,
No these little ovens are single wall , no insulation.
I've got a Black and Decker electric convection oven approx same size as the one shown on this thread also has rotisserie I will sell you.
Interested ? $40.USD
looks like this:
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic