NGO Help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tadpole
Expatriate

Re: NGO Help

Post by Tadpole »

[Mod edit]
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: NGO Help

Post by General Mackevili »

EvieP wrote: Here they have an education and a safe keeping.
EvieP wrote: They currently do not have money to feed the children...
Yikes. If they don't even have enough money to feed the kids, it hardly sounds like "safe keeping" to me.
:(

How many mouths do they have to feed?

And the first step to becoming a well-respected NGO is "transparency." So, which NGO is it? :)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EvieP
Tourist

Post by EvieP »

Tadpole, well that was a great use of your time writing that. Thank you for your very intelligent and useful input. Bravo.

Gonk, happy to send you any information if there is a private messager on here but considering this is apparently a forum to throw abuse and patronize, I choose to actually exit this and try to find help administrative help in other ways.

There is enough negativity in this world already that I don't need to encounter more when I am trying to help people.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Tad Pole's nonsense removed.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

And I know you probably think we're being a cynical lot here, but here's an interesting article from the Phnom Penh Post today talking about this exact same situation, and they seem as cynical as us, if not more so:

The Ministry of Social Affairs yesterday issued a new sub-decree ordering all orphanages to get a permit, submit to inspections and limit the conditions under which children can be admitted.

According to many experts, including Social Affairs Minister Vong Soth, orphanage care does more harm than good to children, who are frequently exploited for sympathy money from tourists.

Many centres are unregistered, leaving the children vulnerable to irregularities and abuse.

What’s more, over three quarters of orphanage residents have at least one living parent, and parents are the better caregivers, said Soth.

http://phnompenhpost.com/national/new-o ... t-children

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: NGO Help

Post by epidemiks »

EvieP wrote: I need to get them registered officially to be able to do any real good on a bigger scale..

How easy is this to do and realistic?
EvieP wrote:No I don't think they are operating illegally?
If they're not "officially registered", how can you presume they are operating legally?

Local ngo registration procedure :

“A Local NGO is registered through the Ministry of Interior (MOI), and unlike an International NGO, does not require additional approval from another Ministry. The MOI will require:

Application form;
NGO’s Memorandum and Article of Association (MAA), issued by MoI;
Plan of NGO’s structure, signed by director, issued by MoI;
Map of the NGO’s address, certified by the local Sangkat;
Photos of office’s facade.
Copies of the office’s lease agreement;
Biographies of Cambodian director, administrator and financial officer with photos and copied ID cards;
Approval letter issued by the local municipality.

Once all the documents are submitted, and unless the application presents unusual difficulties, it typically takes a few months to fully register. So long as they fully understand the correct procedures and official fees from the outset, there’s no reason an NGO couldn’t complete these steps themselves. However, experienced and trustworthy legal advisors can earn their fees by knowing exactly what steps to take, and which are unnecessary red-tape."

https://cambodianlaw.wordpress.com/2010 ... -cambodia/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic