Let's Get Serious- Political Questions

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Let's Get Serious- Political Questions

Post by obelisks »

I hate to rain on everybody's parade but those expecting dramatically more democracy in Cambodia are whistling in the wind.
just look generally in this region around you at at what is happening.
I was in Laos two weeks ago and chatting to a well educated hotel owner. I was asking him who becomes a government minister in that country and he said people know absolutely nothing about the people chosen or the procedures. And while everybody in Laos wants some kind of opposition because of the degree of corruption you can still only voice your discontent verbally. If you write anything derogatory about the Laos government you would definitely end up in jail.
Look at the terms of reference of the current trial of China's most prominent human rights lawyers Pu Zhiqiang which started today and who is accused of "inciting ethnic hatred" and "picking quarrels and provoking trouble" whereas all the has really done is promote free speech.
Today even International diplomats as well as the media were pushed and shoved very aggressively in a way that the BBC correspondent said he'd never seen it that way before.
just look at the way things are going in Thailand.
look at the contents of the recently agreed TPP and the climate agreement last weekend both conducted in secret. Why Did they need to be kept secret?
This is all part of the New World order agenda and It will suit them just fine to have someone remain in power in Cambodia until the real power is soon transferred to the global body may be in the form of a reconfigured United Nations.we are watching the beginning of the end of what we knew as democracy.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Sadly, it's change for the sake of change.

Let's see some real policies (a roadmap for the future), rather than 'get rid of the Yuon and all will be good'.
CNRP are going to return to the National Assembly. It will be interesting to see what type of opposition they will mount minus SR. Will they outline alternative detailed policies rather than singing from the same tired old song sheet? Could be KS's big chance to shine. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

takeoman wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:how does one stop corruption UNLESS one raises tax's ( or makes everyone pay them which many seem not to)
only when one makes a decent liveable salary can corruption stand a chance of ending
But what will be considered an acceptable, rather than liveable salary. I actually discussed this,many years ago, with an Indian official during an attempt to curb corruption.He basically said his new, improved wage, would give him the same lifestyle as the old one plus gifts(his word not mine), but he would still be accepting gifts, as combined with his new salary they would provide him with a much improved lifestyle. :hattip:
Exactly. Corruption runs much deeper here. Power corrupts everywhere, but here it's endemic and I'd argue largely cultural. What we see as cronyism probably stems as far back as Angkor.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

The CNRP return to the Assembly wasn't very inspiring, only 34 of them turned up. They said nothing, and let three new laws go through on the nod. One of their number later said he would have liked to have spoken, but they had been instructed by the party not to say anything.
Meanwhile Sam Rainsy is busy pointing out to the faithful abroad that foreign help has strings attached, and one should be wary of accepting it. One takes it that having had this revelation he will no longer be calling for help from foreign governments and institutions constantly. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SR is a cancer. His political promises are naive in the extreme. He has no stomach for the conflict required to win Cambodia back. He's an educated man who doesn't really understand his own country at all. If he wins it's a black day for Cambodia and particularly for foreigners and most of all for ethnic Vietnamese (of which there are nearly 1 million with Khmer passports).

HE is a player. He has no intention of changing his game and he really doesn't need to with the clown show on the other side of the political fence. The pretend friendship followed by the ruthless destruction of a couple of opposition lawmakers outside of their place of work tells you how he's playing the game.

Rainsy's number two is keeping his mouth shut about all of this because he has nothing to gain now. It's too far from an election for him to be certain of keeping Rainsy's seat if he took it and too far from an election to have much of an impact on the electorate at all. This is the run Rainsy, run Rainsy, run, run, show and it will keep happening until civil war erupts in Cambodia. The big question for that is whether it will be fast and brutal or slow and incredibly brutal?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

takeoman wrote:
Samouth wrote:
takeoman wrote:
Samouth wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:Great thread which I fully intend to contribute / respond to when I sober up.
Ok take a good nap. i am waiting to read your decent contributions to this thread.

And we are awaiting yours Samouth. Do you'll really believe that a man who can talk the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk invariably runs away is Prime Ministerial material? Should the CNRP go with Kem Sokha instead? When will the CNRP realise that boycotting the National Assembly merely means their voice isn't heard?
These and many other questions need to be considered and answered, by Khmers even more than ex pats. :hattip:
For my political view, i don't really like any Cambodian politicians, however, i just want to give him a chance. i can't guarantee whether he will be a good prime minister as he had never been a prime minister and really got the chance to lead the country. Me and like of most other Cambodians are sick with the power is solely on one person hands. We really want to have a change in our country. We want to have justice in our law system and more. I think it is good for him to have not been jailed in Cambodia prison. I would rather him to be on run for any crimes that he was accused of while what he did just for the sake of the country. I agree with you that boycotting is not a good move as the ruling party can always do anything without the presence from the opposition lawmakers. Hopefully with the involvement of foreigner countries and institutions we will have a fair election.
Much the reply I expected, but it fails to address the facts. Sam Rainsy talks a good game but much of it doesn't stand scrutiny. He promises just about everyone bigger salaries, and when pressed on where the money is to come from airily says from stopping corruption, as if all one has to do is wave ones hand and bingo no more corruption. Unfortunately corruption is deep rooted and will take years, possibly decades to tackle. Soon ASEAN integration will be underway, leaving little room for blaming every ill on the "yuon".You say you don't like all the power in one persons hands, I think you'll find Sam Rainsy would like all the power in his hands, and has no intention of sharing it. The bottom line is change for changes sake, based on a blind leap of faith ie "anything must be better than this", rarely works out well. I note you failed to answer the Kem Soka question. isn't he a better choice,rather than a throwback to pre 1970. What about a younger man or woman, one more in touch with the youth. Like me Sam Rainsy is an old age pensioner,a product of the last century. We old boys tend to be set in our ways and cling to outmoded ideas. :hattip:
You are right that Sam Riansy did promise a lots and i could see that not all of them have met yet that because he had never had the chance to lead the country. We, younger people, are sick with the current government while nepotism and favoritism are all over the places throughout the country. However, with Sam Riansy's criticism, we could see that the government has changed a lot of things like taking back the management of ticket selling at Angkorwat. Sorry i don't much about Kem Sohka to talk about him. It seems like he was accused of corruption at an organization he formed.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic