Future of Cambodian farmer

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Ed Hammer
Expatriate

Re: Future of Cambodian farmer

Post by Ed Hammer »

z
Last edited by Ed Hammer on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili: I just don't want you littering our forum with your drivel.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

I have 3 Khmer goats, born in may. Their weight is now only 11 kilo . I give my goats 24/7 hay and fresh grass. I gave them complete banana trees mix with ricebran, alot mangoleaves and 3-4 other kind of leaves. Everyday I gave them some fresh fruit, green beans + sesamseed ( it seems the copper level in the soil is very low here) and copper is a important mineral for the goats. You can earn some money with 50-100 goats , but the costs are higher as the wins.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

diesel wrote:I have goats, saanen, Boer,Nubian and Khmer goats.
I just started, I import some goats of Vietnam. My plan was / is to start a small diary farm. I hear many people day that goats are easy to kept. But many people forget that we are in the tropics. Goats are really sensitive to parasites. Goats not grow well in tropics. If u have a good boerbreed here ,he becomes max 60kilo.
Goats need good food , a mix between the right minerals and vitamins. And goats eat a lot. Raising goats and start a diary farm sounds easy, but it is not so easy as it sounds. And there are no good goats here in Cambodia. Raising Khmer goats is useless, because they not grow because the bloodline, parasites and goats are sensitive to a lot of sicknesses.
And the vets here don't know about goats. They really don't know. I tried to find a vet here to bring him some decals to check the wormload etc. But they never heard of it, and so are there many things.

But I'm still convinced about the potential about a diaryfarm, prices of milk products are high.
But keep and take care goats on a good way is a expensive and unsure business.
Your first problem is,, you are farming two different types of goats, and two totally different types of management and food are needed. Make up your mind which type you want and concentrate on that.
The reason parasites are a problem is in your faming technique. As I mentioned before , goats are browsers. Their first choice of food is the new tender shoots and leaves of plants, which have no parasites on them. If you keep them contained and in close contact with the other goats, then they will pick up parasites from the other animals.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

What u say Duncan is to easy. Its not working like that here. Yes I know I have Boer goats and saanen goats, but I have only 2 Boer goats and 4 saanen goats, that's totally not a problem to manage. The problem is the right food and the parasites. Goats carries always s wormload, but sometimes they activated and the problems starts. And that has 90% to do with the right kind of food, minerals and vitamine mix. I know goats can get parasites of other goats ,rectal/mouth, or parasites in the wet grass etcetc. But everything starts with the right kind of food, and that's not easy to find here. And the fairytale that goats are easy eaters?? No true.
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

I think everybody get the same problems. In Thailand there WHERE some dairy farms, managed by westerns, but the last year many farms closed, and all they walk into the same kind of problems. Goatmarket in Thailand is completely down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic