Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Post by prahkeitouj »

Username Taken wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
i think if you stop giving money there will no beggar
Give or not is depend on us, a good- hearted can't stop giving.
Giving money to children just encourages them to keep begging.
Give them money today, and they'll be back for more tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that, and . . .
They will grow up believing that begging is the only way for them to survive.

Better to teach them how to fish. Image
I do understand, but I don't think they can help those children how to fish.
Shame! Our ancestors will cry if they see Cambodian beggars in the wonderful temples.
They don't have to fish.

They can grow and sell veges.

They can exchange some chicken / duck eggs for some lessons in reading / computer / etc.

OK, maybe it sounds too idealistic, but the point is that they DO have alternatives. Whether that involves fishing or not, is irrelevant.

Today's begging kid = tomorrow's moto thief getting beaten to death.
Hahaha... I said I do know your meaning. " teach someone how to fish or give fish to someone, which one is better?". It is what we are talking about.
I think they should ban the beggars to beg in the temples better than tell the tourists to stop giving money to them. I think at least children should draw pictures, play music or use any skill to earn money better beg money.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Yeah, but, many of those 'beggars' live within the heritage park area.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Post by prahkeitouj »

Username Taken wrote:^^^ Yeah, but, many of those 'beggars' live within the heritage park area.
Yes, that is what I think they can't help them how to fish. If they have skill , they won't want to be beggars.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Post by Username Taken »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Username Taken wrote:^^^ Yeah, but, many of those 'beggars' live within the heritage park area.
Yes, that is what I think they can't help them how to fish. If they have skill , they won't want to be beggars.
Right!

So, they need to learn new skills. Painting, or carving, or weaving, or something that they can 'sell' to the tourists rather than money for nothing.

btw, there is no such word as can't. They 'can'. If they really want to. :whip:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dos and don'ts at Angkor Wat - the video

Post by prahkeitouj »

Username Taken wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Right!

So, they need to learn new skills. Painting, or carving, or weaving, or something that they can 'sell' to the tourists rather than money for nothing.

btw, there is no such word as can't. They 'can'. If they really want to. :whip:
Right! :-)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Stop! Says Apsara Authority
Cambodia Breaking News (Siem Reap): The Apsara authority are having to remind people to behave again. They are having problems to stop the public from eating, drinking, and littering the area in front of the Angkor Wat.
Some people have been sitting on the grass in front of the Angkor Wat area, eating, drinking, and playing loud music, and most of all leaving the area covered with trash. This is unbecoming for a place of pilgrimage such as Angkor Wat and insults the Khmer civilization. It looks bad and is disrespectful.

The Apsara Authority have requested to all people to appreciate and preserve the environment of the Angkor Wat Temple and to stop eating and drinking alcohol on the grass and to stop littering.
Also, the Apsara authority prohibits any activity that is destructive to the Angkor Wat area.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

All locals. They should charge them 5000 Riel or something to get in, that would stop them having so many picnics there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its their country, cant they enjoy a picnic if they wish?
of course would love to see them pick up after themselves
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They could have a picnic somewhere else.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

October 3, 2019
Aspara Authority enforces food ban
The Apsara Authority yesterday warned that authorities have started taking action against those who consume food or alcohol at the Angkor Wat moat, Prohm Kel temple and Trapaing Ses pond in defiance of a prohibition which came into effect on Tuesday.

The ban also applies to food vendors who ply their trade in the area, but not those who have been allowed to operate stalls there.

In August, the Apsara Authority issued the prohibition, but allowed a 45-day grace period for vendors and tourists to comply.

Long Kosal, Apsara Authority spokesman, yesterday said the prohibition applies to activities such as selling food, selling or putting up mats or hammocks, having loudspeakers and consuming alcohol around the Angkor Wat moat and other areas.

He said following Tuesday’s expiry of the grace period, Apsara along with relevant police units and local authorities are sending working groups to the ground until Monday to flush out, educate and warn vendors who are not complying with the ban.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50647448/a ... -food-ban/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic