US envoy to Thailand being investigated for royal defamation

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Wow, the Thais are really going for it now.

They seem to be in a race to the bottom with Cambodia and Burma.

In the words of the Dude: "This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

The US ambassador to Thailand is under investigation for royal defamation over comments he made criticising lengthy jail sentences from the kingdom's lese majeste law, a foreign media group and police said Wednesday.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 32148.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: US envoy to Thailand being investigated for royal defamation

Post by Anchor Moy »

The UK ambassador also under fire for commenting that while people trying to peacefully protest against corruption were arrested and detained, anti-US protests by nationalists outside the US Embassy were allowed. The authorities are not happy.
The government has slammed the British ambassador's comments "supporting law-breakers" and is considering whether to summon him for talks.
I had hoped the fact 200 people allowed to demonstrate at the US Embassy, might be relaxation on freedom of assembly https://t.co/GRrQ9t7Vzj
— Mark Kent (@KentBKK) December 7, 2015
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... y-comments

Another fantastic public relations exercise by the generals. Keep it up.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Hopefully, those who are silly enough to still be there will let us know when the "farang" start getting their invitations to the necktie parties, if they're able to.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Meanwhile it is reported in today's Guardian that the senior police officer who conducted the recent human trafficing investigation has applied for political asylum in Australia. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

takeoman wrote:Meanwhile it is reported in today's Guardian that the senior police officer who conducted the recent human trafficing investigation has applied for political asylum in Australia. :hattip:
I hope he has arrived by boat for a first-hand experience "on the ground" of the realities of human trafficking and Australian political asylum.
Do you have a link to the article ?
Thailand is an interesting place these days.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Thai police can not prosecute him.
Yes, it's called diplomatic immunity. But prosecution or no prosecution, the point is that the Thai authorities are directly confronting both an American and a British government official. This not bode well for ordinary "farang" as this development will likely stir up anti-"farang" sentiment. If you think that will end well, you're a lot more optimistic than I am.

And this is just one relatively minor part of the big picture. Anyway, the tension level is rising steadily.
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

When i first arrived in Asia, i made regular trips to Thailand, but i haven't been back since the first coup and won't until this nonsense stops. I suppose saying that puts me in violation of lese majesty too.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: RE: US envoy to Thailand being investigated for royal defamation

Post by Digg3r »

Mojo wrote:i made regular trips to Thailand, but i haven't been back since the first coup
Wow, you're old. What's the secret?

June 24, 1932: The Khana Ratsadon party overthrows the absolute monarchy of King Prajadhipok.
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Investigating and prosecuting are 2 independent things . He can be investigated and found to be in the wrong then the Thai government can officially complain to the U.S., or even give him the boot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic