Village girls

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Village girls

Post by prahkeitouj »

It is odd. If she is looking for a job here, why does she need to stay with a stranger? Can you speak Khmer ,Duncan? I wonder how can you both communication with each other? Do you share the room with her? I know barang won't rape,but barangs are very naughty. It's like your friend brought the cat a grilled fish to look after. He he he...( just kidding)
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

prahkeitouj wrote:It is odd. If she is looking for a job here, why does she need to stay with a stranger? Can you speak Khmer ,Duncan? I wonder how can you both communication with each other? Do you share the room with her? I know barang won't rape,but barangs are very naughty. It's like your friend brought the cat a grilled fish to look after. He he he...( just kidding)
I agree that this is a fishy situation LS. (I hope you know this expression?)

Anyway, Duncan, what was the arrangement here ? Or what is your understanding of the arrangement ? I'm afraid you may have missed something. Don't you get that feeling ?

AFAIK, girls from the country do not come to the city alone, they come with other girls from their village or with family members.They stay together and look out for each other; mostly they don't trust city people when they first arrive. They certainly don't trust barangs - or as Samouth says, they may ever have seen one before irl.
So why, alone ? And why a barang ? A why a single male ? How's your maths ? How does this add up?
Maybe ask your "friend" what is going on. If he giggles, its a bad sign. Good luck.
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Re: RE: Re: Village girls

Post by qinjingyou »

prahkeitouj wrote:It is odd. If she is looking for a job here, why does she need to stay with a stranger? Can you speak Khmer ,Duncan? I wonder how can you both communication with each other? Do you share the room with her? I know barang won't rape,but barangs are very naughty. It's like your friend brought the cat a grilled fish to look after. He he he...( just kidding)
Nah, I think you have the situation right.Image
在见
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

There's been some good advice given here.
But how you can take in this girl without a proper explanation from your friend is beyond me...you must trust this khmer friend alot as you're putting yourself in a vulnerable situation. If heard a few stories similar to this amongst khmers but never with a barang, and in those cases there was always a very bad circumstance that lead to it and those khmer people were aware of it and could properly evaluate the situation. So I would be extremely cautious given that your friend didn't tell you much (did you even ask?) and you can't properly comminucate with her (not that she would give a straight answer anyways).
If you have a large place then you might want to accommodate her till she has some money together to rent a place, otherwise I would rent a small place near her work place (as she's already found one) and maybe offer to cover some khmer literacy lessons to help her out. Forget about english lessons if she can't even write/read khmer. This will limit your exposure to this strange situation. Don't let any emotional feelings get in the way, which might be what your khmer friend is hoping for, as I don't see how you could have any meaningful life with an illiterate country girl if you don't speak khmer. If you do develop feelings for her you could always top up her monthly income in a discreet way while still keeping your options open for that 'perfect one'. If somehow she doesn't get the job I would follow Barang_dae_slae's advice unless you really get very good explanation of the circumstances that led to this.
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

which barang do you hang out with ?

nice the quote "It's like your friend brought the cat a grilled fish to look after. "
maybe is the right explanation of the fact, the friend would like to find a good hubby for her

I know a village girl that she is illiterate in Khmer, she speaks basic English and she can write/read a little bit in English. I paid for her an English course. I hope she will improve her job prospects.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Hahaha... I couldn't remember. it is just what the Khmer saying. Douj youk trey ang tov pnher cchmar".
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
peter.storm
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by peter.storm »

I hope you have verified her age.
Facebook;- Creating Narcissists from nobodies!!!!!!

Hornithology;- The study of featherless birds!!
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

It does not make sense. Any even semi respectable family out in the countryside would be horrified at the scenario you have just described. Culturally it goes against just about all khmer family values. It sounds like they are trying to pawn her off on you so you will take care of her and eventually take care of the family. PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!!!

picooie

Samouth I agree with your suspicions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic