Why Sihanoukville is not deserve to be called SHITHOLE or so-called SHITVILLE

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Lately we have a lengthy debate about Sihanoukville, mostly people pointed out the negatives of Sihanoukville over its positives. People called it shithole or so-called shitvillle. During water festival, i had great time travelling to Sihanoukville for one week. It was one of the best of my travelling so far. Even though, i was born and grew up in Shanoukville, but there are so many places in Sihanoukville that i have never been to. Within this recent travelling, i went to many places, just in Sihanoukville and that made me appreciating Sihanoukville even more. Sihanoukville has a lot of things to offer than one needs. Not to mention, it is absolutely not deserve to be called shithole, leave alone the shitville. I don't get mad when people say bad things or have negative thoughts about Sihanoukville and i am not defending Sihanoukville, because i am originally from Sihanoukville. That is not the case. People have rights to express their thought and say whatever they want about the place. However, i hope that this review might slightly change their perception toward a lovely tiny town, Sihanoukville.

Beaches

From what i read in those debates about Sihanoukville, people always mentioned the crowed beach of Sihanoukville, Ocherteal beach and serendipity beach. People complained it being crowed and dirty. Guys, Sihanoukville has more beaches than these just two. We have Independence Beach, Otress Beach I and II, Chane Thmey Beach (New Beach), Sokha Beach (Where the tail of the dragon located), Danak Sdach beach, Snake Island beach. All these are located in the center of the city. If you want your trip to be a bit adventurous. You can rent a motorbike and drive down to Ream Beach ( a very quite beach where i grew up, about 30 Km from the city) and don't forget to check the old bridge and a small village by the sea. If you have time you could go further to an unspoiled beach called Chane Sen Sok or Virak 8 beach and if you are at Ream, it is worth to check out the pagoda up on the hill. I went there last week and good new is that there is a new established bungalow resort, where you could get good coffee, western foods and a swimming pool, clean and air-con bungalow for 25 dollars per night.

Otress Beach

Views in front of Independence Beach

Ream Beach

Along the way to Ream Beach

The view in front of the village by the sea

The new established bungalow resort

Islands

Sihanoukville is also well-known for its beautiful islands and not to mention those islands are not really far away from the shore. You can pretty much visit those islands easily. I went to Koh Rong during my previous visit. Koh Rong is a really beautiful island with a really long white sand beach and also a place where you can do trekking. However, people seem to be really negative against Koh Rong. What come to people mind when talking about Koh Rong, it would be something like. Koh Rong is full of backpackers, party all day long, drug and sex. Again guy, Koh Touch village is not the only beach on Koh Rong. You absolutely could find a very quite and relaxed place on Koh Rong such as Sok San resort and etc and not to mention a small island next to Koh Rong called Koh Rong Samleom is an absolute paradise. Apart from these two islands, there are more islands in Sihanoukville that you should check out. I went to water buffalo island for snorkelling. It actually turned out to be the most highlight of my recent trip down there. I really enjoyed it. Back to Ream Beach, there are some islands down there that you guys should check out, such as Koh Takiev and Koh Russey (Bamboo Island). I would recommend you guys to check out these two stunning and absolutely beautiful islands when you are at Ream beach, however you also can take the boat from Sihanoukville to these islands.

Koh Takiev

Bamboo Island

Koh Rong

Water Buffalo Island

If you want to be away from beaches and Islands, you can drive down to Kbal Chay waterfall or take a 3 hours or 1 day trip to see mangrove with the trip organiser at Ream National Park Office right in front of the airport of Sihanoukville.
Last edited by Samouth on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Why Sihanoukville is not deserve to be called SHITHOLE or so-called SHITVILLE

Post by phuketrichard »

I dont think anyone is knocking the abundance of nice beaches/islands in the area, ( some nice pics)
but knocking the town, the police hassle and those it attracts
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Why Sihanoukville is not deserve to be called SHITHOLE or so-called SHITVILLE

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Nice post Samouth and some great pictures.

:beer3: :thumb: :good:
qinjingyou
Expatriate
China

Post by qinjingyou »

Nice pics, I may come visit again.
在见
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i like the place. considering the bad feelings the term shitsville stirs up why not auto change it so washington dc or canberra to substitute for each iteration?

i thought all that kind of stuff was going to be left elsewhere?
Last edited by frank lee bent on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Nice effort Samouth :thumb:

One can't be more local than you are so it is very natural that you defend SHV. However to be frank you lack of traveling to other comparable places does invalidate your topic title.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

There are more and more good roads with little traffic, and traffic jams are unknown.It can actually be a pleasant experience driving from one place to another.

Road under construction from Sokha to Independence: Image New wide road: Image
Old road still useable after rainy season: Image

Much of the area close to town and beaches is still undeveloped countryside. Image

Not for everyone but there is a lot to be said for clean air and little traffic, and I enjoy the countryside inside the town.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

good pictures
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

When did they upgrade the beach chairs in Sihanoukville?
Spoiler:

Sorry about the guys in suits, i couldn't find a picture with bogans
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Have anyone been to mangrove boat trip ? I have never been by myself, but i used to talk people at office of Ream National Park. They organise this kinda trip. For 2 hours trip is 30 dollar and the whole day trip is 50 dollar and they will bring you to an island i am not sure which one. If anyone here have been on this kinda trip. Please kindly write it here thanks.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic