Boat festival in "Shitsville"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Boat festival in "Shitsville"

Post by wackyjacky »

For years I've listened to the SV insults & said nothing, because I know that the place I live has many faults. People in good cities aren't as insecure as you Pig Penh lot. Do you see posters on the Thai forums constantly running down Pattaya which is a far worse shithole than SV ? You have to go 10K outside PTY to safely swim, not a half km like Serendipity to Sokha. Folks in Bangkok know they're better & enjoy PTY for what it is, like PP Khmer do with SV. Your insults stem from the fact that you know you live in a shithole. It causes cognitive dissonance & you need to lash out. I swim and/or sail a lot and most days I'm saying to myself - "Wow this place is fucking beautiful." When do you PP guys ever say that ? The best you get is - "Wow, traffic isn't so bad today". "Wow, it isn't so hot today". "Wow, the air isn't horrible today". "Wow the noise isn't so bad today". You constant SV detractors are without a doubt jealous & insecure. Good luck with that.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Ok, here's the answer I gave on TOF when Scobz asked a question was asked about expats feelings towards their Various Cambodian home towns.

"Ok, I've just got home after work and this is the first comment I've read. So with no malice carried from any other comments here ( lets face it, its 3 pages already and I'm pretty sure S/ville will be mentioned) I will give you my honest feelings.
Phnom Penh is, to me, just another city. Its cold and heartless like cities everywhere tend to be. The people that live there choose to do so for reasons of work and convenience. Very few people who live in cities don't dream of a sea or tree change. They feel, for whatever reason, that they are stuck there and a lot resent that.
Another reason is that it is very easy to remain anonymous to a large extent, in a city. You have your crew of mates and are comfortable enough that you don't need to meet new people and expose your self to new ideas/ideals.You can espouse an opinion and never need to actually back it up,in person,because of this anonymity
Sihanoukville is a very different kettle of fish.
It is a (relatively) small COMMUNITY.But it many ways, it is a very close and tight knit COMMUNITY.You really have to try hard to remain anonymous here and I, in all honesty ask - why would you? Why would you miss out on the spirit that makes small towns so much different from big cities? Do we all love each other? FUK NO. Do we all agree with each other? FUK NO.But do we love what this lifestyle gives us? Fuk YEAH.
The people who choose to live here, do so because they love the area and the life. Sure, we make sacrifices to live here and you actually have to make an effort to make it work, but it is OUR choice.It is OUR lifestyle choice. That is one of the reasons I get so pissed off with the whingers who "live" here temporarily. We all know you aren't going to make it, so just exercise your rights and fuk off.
Its also the main reason we defend it. If it doesn't suit you and you don't have or want what it takes to make a life here, that's fine by us! But stop knocking those of us who do.
My POV anyway. Just trying to honestly answer your question.Take it or leave it, I couldn't give a fuk in the long run, because I have never been happier or more content in my life since I have lived in Sihanoukville and I don't need anyone else's affirmation on that."

That's my clear and somewhat concise thoughts on the matter, withOUT the anger caused by the vitriolic bullshit spouted by some PPites, who still manage to come down here for holidays a few times a year.
Last edited by Hotdigr on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

And Wacky, you have a much higher tolerance level for their absolute bullshit then I have. Lasting 4 years without retaliating mate!
I think I've been banned 4 times now from TOF, for telling people to go and get royally fukd when they criticise SIHANOUKVILLE !
Fukem, keep calling them out :beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

wackyjacky wrote:For years I've listened to the SV insults & said nothing, because I know that the place I live has many faults. People in good cities aren't as insecure as you Pig Penh lot. Do you see posters on the Thai forums constantly running down Pattaya which is a far worse shithole than SV ? You have to go 10K outside PTY to safely swim, not a half km like Serendipity to Sokha. Folks in Bangkok know they're better & enjoy PTY for what it is, like PP Khmer do with SV. Your insults stem from the fact that you know you live in a shithole. It causes cognitive dissonance & you need to lash out. I swim and/or sail a lot and most days I'm saying to myself - "Wow this place is fucking beautiful." When do you PP guys ever say that ? The best you get is - "Wow, traffic isn't so bad today". "Wow, it isn't so hot today". "Wow, the air isn't horrible today". "Wow the noise isn't so bad today". You constant SV detractors are without a doubt jealous & insecure. Good luck with that.
i've really enjoyed your input, and everything you have said has been right on point mate! :bow:
make sure you come out for a beer sometime mate! :beer3: hotdogr is getting the first round in ;) haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

tbh, I would choose any seaside resort over any inland town.

PP is a shithole, comparable in many ways to Johannesburg in SA. No one lives here because of the scenic beauty or the easy traffic. Money is the only attraction.

If my job asked me to relocate to Sinville or Kampot/Kep, even Rattanakiri, I would go.

Just don't ask me to go to Battambang/Sisiphon/Poipet.

I think we can all agree that Poipet the Toilet is the supreme shithole.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Hotdigr wrote:And Wacky, you have a much higher tolerance level for their absolute bullshit then I have. Lasting 4 years without retaliating mate!
I think I've been banned 4 times now from TOF, for telling people to go and get royally fukd when they criticise SIHANOUKVILLE !
Fukem, keep calling them out :beer3:

I stopped defending SHV there in 2005.

Pointless to do so. You cannot change preconceived ideas of the closed minded, especially those who are insecure in their own lives.

The recent post by GMJS440 is particularly reminiscent of one such person who wants very badly to be part of the in crowd.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

wackyjacky wrote:Your insults stem from the fact that you know you live in a shithole. It causes cognitive dissonance & you need to lash out..... You constant SV detractors are without a doubt jealous & insecure. Good luck with that.
Jealousy syndrome display is exactly what I've been replying to the stupidest of them in the past but I guess they never got the point.
Wackyjacky post being way more explanatory, I hope some will understand. However I have also been taught never to underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

@jamie: I will buy the first round :beer3:
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

wackyjacky wrote:For years I've listened to the SV insults & said nothing, because I know that the place I live has many faults. People in good cities aren't as insecure as you Pig Penh lot. Do you see posters on the Thai forums constantly running down Pattaya which is a far worse shithole than SV ? You have to go 10K outside PTY to safely swim, not a half km like Serendipity to Sokha. Folks in Bangkok know they're better & enjoy PTY for what it is, like PP Khmer do with SV. Your insults stem from the fact that you know you live in a shithole. It causes cognitive dissonance & you need to lash out. I swim and/or sail a lot and most days I'm saying to myself - "Wow this place is fucking beautiful." When do you PP guys ever say that ? The best you get is - "Wow, traffic isn't so bad today". "Wow, it isn't so hot today". "Wow, the air isn't horrible today". "Wow the noise isn't so bad today". You constant SV detractors are without a doubt jealous & insecure. Good luck with that.
Good post apart from dissing my hood Pattaya, or as we like to call it The Cannes of the Eastern Seaboard :D . This week I've enjoyed the Loy Krathong festival and concert in Naklua, a day out at The Ocean Marina Boat Show and The International Fireworks Display last night. Next week it's the final round of a World Jet-Ski circuit event on Jomtien beach with the Thailand Open Golf Championship and some star players up the road the week after. Always something going on. :thumb:
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Please stop bitching at each other like spoiled schoolchildren. It's going to solve nothing. Had enough of that crap on the other forum! Agree to disagree, drink a beer and thats the end of it! :beer3:
Most of us live in the same country which is Cambodia. And it's seen and spoken about from many from Thailand (when I mention in LOS I live here) as a shit hole. Most of them dissing it have never been here! Most of us stay here because we love it or prefer it, even with it's shit hole areas !
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Fourkinnel wrote:Please stop bitching at each other like spoiled schoolchildren. It's going to solve nothing. Had enough of that crap on the other forum! Agree to disagree, drink a beer and thats the end of it! :beer3:
Most of us live in the same country which is Cambodia. And it's seen and spoken about from many from Thailand (when I mention in LOS I live here) as a shit hole. Most of them dissing it have never been here! Most of us stay here because we love it or prefer it, even with it's shit hole areas !
i disagree, many that speak of Cambodia have not only been there but perhaps lived there ( present company included)
Thailand has Pattaya, Cambodia has shv

Everywhere has it + and -
just got to find ur own piece of paradise :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic