British couple living in Cambodia. How do you see your life in Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British couple living in Cambodia. How do you see your life in Cambodia.

Post by John Bingham »

Samouth wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:I truly loved living in Cambodia. It was an awesome ride. I like living in Thailand now but... it's not the same. If the banking was better in Cambodia - I'd move back in a heartbeat.
I can't tell about Thailand as i have never been to Thailand. However, i always thought that living in Thailand is much better than Cambodia in so many reasons.
It's shit - it's full of Siems and the worst type of foreigners.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I bet their house is in Stoke Newington. I live in Cambodia because it's cheap and my wife doesn't want to move. I don't feel anyone is exploited by me living here on the cheap.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

excepting perhaps one's good self. LOL
not that serious, but a kernel of truth.
almost every barang i know here benefits the country by their presence.
kudos to the Khmer for realizing the benefits of an open door policy, and their forebearance in tolerating the foibles of the mad majority who wash up on these shores.
kindred spirits i suspect.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

At least they are honest that they are living here just because they like it. Did they say how long they've been here ? Not worried about dissing the majority of SR expats' lifestyles anyway; that was either refreshingly candid or rather naive. :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

That's a cute baby! :-)
They look live simply and happily in the countryside.
BTW I still like living in Cambodia more than in Thailand. Beside Political issue and norms, I love everything here.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They seem to have quite a haughty attitude, like they are somehow more worthy than these cliquey "expats" they talk of, who gossip so much and are just here to speculate and exploit the situation. Maybe that goes on in the circles they mix in. Their take on Cambodia seems quite alien to me. Good luck to them either way though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I
StroppyChops wrote:
Our Australian cat is worth hours of discussion, even when he's not visible. As an eight-kilo Burmese our Khmer neighbours don't believe he's a domestic cat, and we allow them to think he's a clar, a tiger, or at least part wild-cat. They're terrified of him, and if that helps keep him safe, then good.
Brown Burmese?
Tough cats and very dog like. Loyal, smart and affectionate.

I miss my Burmese. In fact it's the only thing I miss about home, although I'd actually call Cambodia home now.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

John Bingham wrote:They seem to have quite a haughty attitude, like they are somehow more worthy than these cliquey "expats" they talk of, who gossip so much and are just here to speculate and exploit the situation. Maybe that goes on in the circles they mix in. Their take on Cambodia seems quite alien to me. Good luck to them either way though.
I would say over confident, as opposed to haughty. They could be in for a shock if they have "bought" the land in their own names, certainly can't have obtained a hard title if that is the case. I would imagine the joy of doing very little will wear off fairly soon. What then, not much call for a foreign electrician in the countryside, nor for an English teacher, unless there is a private school somewhere near by. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:I truly loved living in Cambodia. It was an awesome ride. I like living in Thailand now but... it's not the same. If the banking was better in Cambodia - I'd move back in a heartbeat.
I can't tell about Thailand as i have never been to Thailand. However, i always thought that living in Thailand is much better than Cambodia in so many reasons.
It's shit - it's full of Siems and the worst type of foreigners.
i am not sure if you do mean it or it is just a troll. :?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic