US man sentenced 1 year for abusing boys

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

US man sentenced 1 year for abusing boys

Post by phuketrichard »

seems like a light sentence but what gets me is it seems APLE was involved and more and more i find myself questioning anything that involves hem...

Too many "orphanages " in Cambodia with kids that are NOT orphans but merely from families that can not afford them.

Presiding judge Kim Rath Narin said defendant Daniel Stephen Johnson, 36, the former director of Hope Transitions, an unlicensed orphanage in Phnom Penh, was also ordered to pay $1,000 in fines, despite his assertion that the child protection organisation Action Pour les Enfants (APLE) had bribed the families of his accusers.

Colonel Lao Lin, of the Ministry of Interior’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Unit, said Johnson was arrested last December in collaboration with the FBI and APLE.

Johnson provided reporters with a statement saying he was “disappointed” in the decision, accusing APLE of trumping up his case “to further build a name for them[selves]”, and calling for a “serious investigation” of the organisation.

“I have hundreds standing up for me, including the children. We have signed statements from the parent(s)/families of the children stating they were offered and/or received a bribe from those pushing this case,” the statement reads, noting that an appeal is imminent. “The same families have also written statements pleading for my release.”
I dont question the guy should be locked up but APLE's name keep cropping up and accusations of them paying victims$$ to lie so they can raise more $$

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/u ... using-boys
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Expatriate

Re: US man sentenced 1 year for abusing boys

Post by 104 »

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... arges-here

Possibly US pressure see previous article

“According to Cambodian laws, this American man now will not be sent to the United States as planned,” Pithey continued. “He must face his charges, must be convicted by a Cambodian court and serve his sentences in Cambodia first … before he is extradited to face his criminal cases in his own country.”

Johnson is slated to be sent to court for official charges by the end of the week, Pithey added.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

104 wrote:http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... arges-here

“According to Cambodian laws, this American man now will not be sent to the United States as planned,” Pithey continued. “He must face his charges, must be convicted by a Cambodian court and serve his sentences in Cambodia first … before he is extradited to face his criminal cases in his own country.”

Johnson is slated to be sent to court for official charges by the end of the week, Pithey added.
IF he is extradited to the US and tried there, how long will he be likely to get if convicted? I understand there are 5 cases of rape in the US he is wanted for?
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Jaap N. wrote:
104 wrote:http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... arges-here

IF he is extradited to the US and tried there, how long will he be likely to get if convicted? I understand there are 5 cases of rape in the US he is wanted for?
The US is so fucked up, it really depends. If he is found guilty of ALL 5 rape charges, I am just using common sense and guessing that the judge would give him life in prison, don't know about possibility of parole. It also depends HIGHLY on how good of a lawyer he can afford. What race were the girls he allegedly raped? What state will he be tried in. Can it be a federal case/court?

Here is the thing- In the US, even if he is sentenced to 1 year in a maximum security prison, he will be killed by the other inmates for pedophilia. A lot of US Prisons are starting to build/section off special cell blocks just for convicted pedophiles because the other inmates always murder them.

There are cases of judges offering a lighter prison sentence if the guilty party agrees to chemical castration.

Somebody tell Vlad to ask one of his lawyer friends.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

ONE year?

Fuck. Welcome to do-anything you bloody like country.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

vladimir wrote:ONE year?

Unless you smuggle drugs into it, then you're totally fucked!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Jaap N. wrote:
vladimir wrote:ONE year?

Unless you smuggle drugs into it, then you're totally fucked!
Unless you're the guy with the monopoly.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic