Burma goes to the polls

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Burma goes to the polls

Post by Anchor Moy »

Voting today. Will be interesting to see what happens next. As this article states, the army will still hang on to power, so difficult to know if there will be profound change or whether it will remain a democratic facade like most of SEA. Also interesting to see how certain people are going to react if they get into power. Whatever happens, the army will have to be wooed with much diplomacy.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... n-to-power
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Burma goes to the polls

Post by phuketrichard »

the Army is guaranteed 25% of the seats regardless,

I pray it goes well, its a great country an would love to see the people reap some rewards,
heading back next month for my 4 trip in 18 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:the Army is guaranteed 25% of the seats regardless,

I pray it goes well, its a great country an would love to see the people reap some rewards,

When you get back, a report on any noticeable changes would be interesting .
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:the Army is guaranteed 25% of the seats regardless,

Like Richard, I hope this is the start of something better for Burma. But sadly, I think it will be "SEA same same" - standard pseudo elections held to allow/encourage western investment.

Aung San Suu Kyi casts her vote :
...President Thein Sein said on Friday “the government and the military will respect and accept the results”.

Jasmin Lorch, from the GIGA Institute of Asian Studies in Hamburg, said: “If the military gets the feeling that its vested interests are threatened, it can always act as a veto player and block further reforms.”

The New York-based advocacy group Human Rights Watch said the elections were fundamentally flawed, citing a lack of an independent election commission with its leader, Chairman U Tin Aye, both a former army general and former member of the ruling part

“Long lines of voters on 8 November won’t make these fundamentally flawed elections free and fair,” said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. The body said ruling party dominance of state media and laws preventing many Muslims in Myanmar from voting have also discredited the vote...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... r-25-years
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

so far at least , no violence.

live blog

http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/electi ... -blog.html

"The results are inline with our expectations"

70% of the seats U Win Htein @ NLD campaign office

Winning results coming in for both North and South districts of Yangon for #NLD
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I suspect the violence will only happen when the results show just how much opposition there is to the ruling party
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic