Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

Post by dagenham »

vladimir wrote:
UKJ wrote:I remember guys saying that they could get wasted on $4 a night in Snooky
If you drink Mekong, you could get wasted for less than half that.

If this is your main criteria, perhaps living here will be dangerous for you.
I'm really shocked that people come here to drink themselves to death because it's cheaper to do so "at home"...hmmm...smart & thrifty and prudent people I must say...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Where, and how, and for how much to you think everyone should drink, Dagenham?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:Where, and how, and for how much to you think everyone should drink, Dagenham?
From that post: " 12-14 beers, 2 buckets (8-10 whiskey shots) and 3 free shots of whiskey/orange/grenadin." per person for $4.00 sounds like a very healthy daily habit anywhere on the planet to me.

Uh huh...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

If you're gonna do it, might as well do it on the cheap!

At least that's what my auto mechanic always told me.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:If you're gonna do it, might as well do it on the cheap!

At least that's what my auto mechanic always told me.
True that. I don't probably know anyone here who doesn't drink everyday - varying amounts to be sure. Most drink a lot. But what's "a lot" here? 20 beers or more I would guess - under that is just quenching thirst.

The major difference here from "back home" is that it needs no planning whatsoever. It's absolutely legal to drive here while blacking out. No one cares if a Barang dies from liver failure or heart attack with his head laying gently down on a table (as long as he enough on him to pay his bar tab).

In other words, heaven.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Would this be an inopportune moment to ask about the wisdom of drinking and driving with or without a helmet? ;)
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

vladimir wrote:Would this be an inopportune moment to ask about the wisdom of drinking and driving with or without a helmet? ;)
Excellent question Sir Vlad...hardcore loser selfish drunks who endanger innocents on the road should definitely Not wear any kind of protection...so they can perish as quickly as possible. Helmets are for designed for people who deserve to keep on living.

Let 'em all bleed out on the tarmac I say...provides a bit o' colour for the living...
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

dagenham wrote: Cool. What a great life!]Getting wasted on a massive amount of alcohol every night - for cheap!! Wow...impressive indeed...must be truly intriguing people to hang out with...
They seem to enjoy it, and who are you to judge them? The only thing that concerns me is their safety when so drunk. I won't mention what else they do as you will choke on your warm milk and spray it over your slippers!

They are young Brits. That's what young Brits do. Apart from seeing it every weekend in the UK you see TV programmes with names like " Boozed Up Brits Abroad". Live and let live, I say. I guess you are a one man Temperance Movement and want to bring back the birch and national service? :D

Personally, I thought it was pertinant information on an " Under a Grand" thread, that you could go out and get drunk for under $4. What can you tell us that's useful, and preferably non judgemental?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

UKJ wrote:
Personally, I thought it was pertinant information on an " Under a Grand" thread, that you could go out and get drunk for under $4. What can you tell us that's useful, and preferably non judgemental?
Yeah, Dagenham. Where's the cheapest place to buy a decent helmet? :crazy:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

In the beginning, an interesting topic and a good start to the thread. Now it just seems to be sliding into a soap box, placed high on some moral ground but then again an area that could do with some talking about.

I am due to relocate to SEA at the end of the year and if I have a concern it is will boredom cause me to drink excessively?

I have quite a busy life here but still find myself in the pub, too much but without the millstone of work, will this be increased OR will I finally be free of the work/reward culture and be able to settle down to a nice leisurely routine, involving 'Chores' and the basic unhurried things, folk enjoy in a retired life?

So, in Siem Reap, Shinoukville and Phonom Penh, what is there to do, out side a bar culture for a middle aged single man? That can be done inside the 'Living Cheaply Under a Grand' budget (I won't be but it is an effort to keep this post a little on topic)

:beer:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Locked Previous topicNext topic