So you drink. Well done, you.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
UKJ
Expatriate

Re: So you drink. Well done, you.

Post by UKJ »

Soi Dog wrote: That's silly. Alcohol consumption ability is still some lame yardstick many men judge each other by and you know it. I would have thought people would have grown out of that stupidity by their late 20's, for Christ's sake. And why would it be weird not to mention it in forums?
I totally refute that adults judge each other by alcohol consumption. I would say they grow out of it by their late teens. Maybe your culture is different. Or maybe you just ( wrongly) perceive it that way.
Soi Dog wrote: If there is no need for people to repeatedly mention having consumed copious amounts of lemonade or Snickers bars or other such things, which no one does, then why would they feel the need to repeatedly mention how much alcohol the drank, are drinking now, or plan to drink later? It is obviously because they feel it makes them "one of the boys".
Where on the forum have people " repeatedly mentioned drinking copius amounts of alcohol". Is it in the VIP section? I don't get what your problem is. Would you complain if they said they were going out to eat two pizzas or a box of snickers? Or is it just alcohol you object to reading about?

Soi Dog wrote: This is not a temperance movement, because I don't give a monkey's toss how much alcohol anyone drinks. Nor should anyone else. We've established that no one cares how much anyone else drinks. So why the need to mention it so often in internet forums like it is some badge of honor?
When was that established? imho, the talking about alcohol shouldn't be censored, and people should be free to mention what they drink, eat or whatever, without being told what they can and cannot mention.

The Temperance Movement comment was a joke, as I had just read another unprovoked rant in the grand thread. Two anti alcohol rants in a row. It's you guys who are making a fuss when others merely mention drinking. Live and let live guys.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Again, I never said anyone shouldn't mention alcohol or shouldn't be allowed to do so. I just asked why people think their drinking preferences are interesting enough to discuss so often, and doesn't writing and reading posts about it ever get boring. Look at my first post. You read the multiple drinking posts in the "living for under a grand" thread, and look in the Cambodia After Dark section. I'm pretty sure if some other posters and myself had several threads about our preference for drinking lots of milk, eventually some of you would say "Dude...what's with all the milk threads/comments. Enough already. No one really cares how, when and why you like to drink f*cking milk, or if you are currently downing two bottles of milk with your buddy".

I think this thread officially qualifies for an 'asinine section' move. :thumb: I should have started it there in the first place.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Wait for it...

nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Alright, I'm just going to unzip and pull it out: I don't judge anyone by how much they drink. I judge them by how well they hold their liquor. I knew a guy who drank 9 beers during the first inning of a world series one time. We were all up the block at a friend's house. I don't remember what he drank after that, but he was cool, so I don't have a problem with him drinking a six-pack-and-a-half like it was water, and he was really fucking thirsty.
Don't drink a few bartles and james and start dancing at The Big M. You look stupid...and European...and like a male freelancer working the female bong thom crowd.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Soi Dog wrote:Again, I never said anyone shouldn't mention alcohol or shouldn't be allowed to do so. I just asked why people think their drinking preferences are interesting enough to discuss so often, and doesn't writing and reading posts about it ever get boring. Look at my first post. You read the multiple drinking posts in the "living for under a grand" thread, and look in the Cambodia After Dark section. I'm pretty sure if some other posters and myself had several threads about our preference for drinking lots of milk, eventually some of you would say "Dude...what's with all the milk threads/comments. Enough already. No one really cares how, when and why you like to drink f*cking milk, or if you are currently downing two bottles of milk with your buddy".

I think this thread officially qualifies for an 'asinine section' move. :thumb: I should have started it there in the first place.
The reason people mention alcohol and not milk, is that they are more interested in alcohol. You can guage what people are interested in, by the amount of times it's mentioned! Milk though, is boring. I have never seen it widely discussed on a forum, or seen people ask the price, or what time it's available till. I doubt there have been many songs or fiction books or movies about drinking milk. Nor are there milk bars on every corner. Because people aren't interested in milk! There seems to be a whole lot of interest in alcohol though. Therefore, it will get mentioned a lot.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

UKJ wrote: There seems to be a whole lot of interest in alcohol though. Therefore, it will get mentioned a lot.
:facepalm:
Flynn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Flynn »

Soi Dog wrote:I'm pretty sure if some other posters and myself had several threads about our preference for drinking lots of milk, eventually some of you would say "Dude...what's with all the milk threads/comments. Enough already. No one really cares how, when and why you like to drink f*cking milk, or if you are currently downing two bottles of milk with your buddy".
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

For all the milk lovers on here, who feel left out.

Dr. Feelgood - Milk and alcohol 1979

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Last night I flattened 2lr of milk!

Full cream!

Match that, you wimps!

And I drank it direct from the cow, no gay pasteurised shit for real men...

But that's anudder story.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Flynn wrote:
[/quote]
Milk for breakfast anyone? Thanks, Flynn, for making me postpone my breakfast. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic