How do you pretend to be Poor ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
UKJ
Expatriate

Re: How do you pretend to be Poor ?

Post by UKJ »

If you think an expat is about to ask you for a loan of money, ask him first , so he doesn't ask you ;) I like the saying - Never a borrower or a lender be.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sorry kiwi - 1) scream abuse when some little old lady tries to make 100 riel profit off you. 2)walk everywhere, even when its pissing with rain and the sewers are overflowing - with no shoes of course 3)carry a water bottle with you and fill it up for free in the toilets of the closest bar/restaurant 4)grow dreads and a beard - saves getting a cut and shave (also serves as umbrella/food storage) 4)get a $1 hammock that you can offer to sling up when you want to crash at a bar-buddy's 5)never pay for a drink - its always payday tomorrow/you've just been robbed 6)hang about outside weddings waiting for someone to throw you an empty can which might have a drop left 7)hold on to that can, it's worth money, and while you're at it grab that can out of the hands of the 4 year old, snotty-nose kid next to you...
Thats probably enough to get going.

Then start a thread on an internet forum called "Why do people in Cambodia look down on me?"
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

I have perfected the penniless backpacker look. Do you wash your shirts in the bathroom with soap and water, then hang them to dry? It shows. Do you hang your sweaty clothes up, allow the sweat to dry, then see which ones are the least...fragrant? Yes. It shows. Are you wearing a pair of running shoes that you ran 600km in, retired them, and now just wear them for going out and about? Fill in the blanks: It _ _ _ _.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

And that pink wax in your dreadlocks reveals itself to be a bar of hotel soap that you lost 3 months ago (that you pinched out of the shared bathroom while staying in the $2 dorm)... I remember you now.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Anchor Moy wrote:And that pink wax in your dreadlocks reveals itself to be a bar of hotel soap that you lost 3 months ago (that you pinched out of the shared bathroom while staying in the $2 dorm)... I remember you now.
I'm not a thief. I'm just thrifty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic