Naomi Segal Bronstein from Canada Saved Thousands of Cambodian Orphans, Including 65 from the Khmer Rogue Days

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Naomi Segal Bronstein from Canada Saved Thousands of Cambodian Orphans, Including 65 from the Khmer Rogue Days

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From the San Diego Jewish World: There is a Jewish Story Everywhere

...In 1969-70, the United States escalated the war by secretly bombing Cambodia. To add to the chaos, the extremist Communist Khmer Rouge were attacking from the countryside. Naomi decided to make a trip into Cambodia where she found a large number of malnourished and sick babies abandoned by their parents fleeing from the Khmer Rouge. Naomi started an orphanage in Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh that she called “Canada House”. Canada House received food donated by Canadians. On one occasion, a jar of gefilte fish arrived, presumably because the donor knew Naomi was Jewish. The staffer who received the gefilte fish, not knowing what it was gave it to the local priest to feed his cat. The cat loved the gefilte fish.

As the Khmer Rouge advanced upon Phnom Penh in 1975, all Westerners were advised to leave. Sixty-five of the babies had paperwork for adoption in Canada and Naomi was determined to save them from the Cambodian genocide of 1.7 million people that was about to begin. The only way out was by air to Saigon, where they were flown to under fire by an American Air Force plane...

http://www.sdjewishworld.com/2015/11/01 ... f-orphans/

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Naomi Segal Bronstein from Canada Saved Thousands of Cambodian Orphans, Including 65 from the Khmer Rogue Days

Post by StroppyChops »

So is this who we blame for prahok?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JohnnieJAlvarez
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Naomi Segal Bronstein from Canada Saved Thousands of Cambodian Orphans, Including 65 from the Khmer Rogue Days

Post by JohnnieJAlvarez »

Hello, that's my mom holding that baby. Can someone help me get more information on this picture?
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

JohnnieJAlvarez wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:49 pm Hello, that's my mom holding that baby. Can someone help me get more information on this picture?
Did you contact the publisher of the photo? Are/were you the baby she's holding? What's your mom's name? Is she still alive?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

LamarFreddie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:06 am
JohnnieJAlvarez wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:49 pm Hello, that's my mom holding that baby. Can someone help me get more information on this picture?
Did you contact the publisher of the photo? Are/were you the baby she's holding? What's your mom's name? Is she still alive?
Unfortunately, that photo does not appear on the linked article, nor on the Wayback Machine copy.

However, this link has more images of her which might lead to more information.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

Why would someone post something like this and not bother to follow up at all?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic