Your favourite Phnom Penh moneychanger ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Your favourite PP moneychanger ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks, that's great.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

good moneychanger?

Sovann at 69 & 71 Street 136. Across from Psar Tamei in a street with many moneychangers and pharmacies. It’s between St. 51 [Pasteur] and 53 St and Central Market. He does all kind of currencies, including dollar-riel of course, and has always given a slightly better rate for non-riel transactions than any other shop I tried. He and his crew are dour but scrupulously honest.

He has an ongoing love affair with money and gold. If you check his DNA I’m sure you’ll find he’s a direct descendant of the moneychangers that Jesus kicked out of the temple.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Knowing a money changer for years and establishing a trustful relationship with him goes a very long way.

A few exemples of what they can do:

- Agreeing to meet us for business in front of pochentong a day that I was landing with some family in tow and didn't wan't to go downtown before driving south.
- Very conveniently dealing with other kind of valuables in case one needs quality precious metals or even precious stones.
- Not counting the stacks of small riels notes that you just withdrew from a MFI to change into dollars.
- After listening to why I had only a few dollars to change in baht the day before a business trip to Thailand because I had forgotten about yet another banking holidays. Proposing and insisting on lending me a few thousands $ at no cost and without any collateral... :shock: :good:
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

Agreed on Hy Hour on Charles de Gaulle. Best rates, even when you need bundles or bricks of 100 or 500 riel notes.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

JanKrohn wrote:Best rates, even when you need bundles or bricks of 100 or 500 riel notes.
Why on God's green earth would you... nebmind. Cheaper than toilet paper, right?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Your favourite Phnom Penh moneychanger ?

Post by Username Taken »

^^ For visits to rural Wats on public holidays. Hand out lots of money. Often just 100s. But lots of!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Your favourite Phnom Penh moneychanger ?

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:^^ For visits to rural Wats on public holidays. Hand out lots of money. Often just 100s. But lots of!
We have a basic home rule... we fold the 100s into thousand-riel bundles and give those to beggars (disabled, and yeays only, never children or able-bodied people) - that would buy a half-kilo of rice at any rice merchant. If the asker turns their nose up, we know they don't actually need it. We'll give it day after day if asked, seems to keep a happy balance, and gets rid of those pesky 100s.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic