Working & living in Cambodia, jobs in care?

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
unclekevin
Tourist

Working & living in Cambodia, jobs in care?

Post by unclekevin »

Hi.

Are there many jobs in the care sector? or is there a need for care workers in Cambodia, whether that is working in Schools, orphanages, childcare centres etc? The reason why i ask, is that I'm becoming disillusioned with life in the UK and i would love to work in South East Asia, I fell in love with Vietnam, but especially Cambodia, when i travelled there last year.

I'm currently employed as a Therapy Support Worker/Care Worker, I work with clients who have had a brain injury, my clients suffer from memory loss, cognitive skills and they have some learning difficulties. I work within my clients therapeutic plan, I help them in whatever needs they require, to enable them to regain the life, they lived before their injury, I've been doing my current job for five years now, I have acquired qualifications and certificates of achievement, and below are just a few examples of what I have achieved

Level 2 diploma in Health and Social Care.

Safeguarding children and young people.

Safeguarding adults

Emergency first aid at work.

Level 2 Health and safety.

Infection and prevention control

Am i right in thinking that most jobs are in a volunteer role? If I'm honest, I would like a paid job where I can put my experience and knowledge to great use. I wouldn't mind, starting working as a volunteer first, but it would then lead to a paid job after. At first, i started looking into teaching English as a foreign language in South East Asia, but I haven't got a degree or the relevant qualifications that are required to get a well paid job, I thought about doing an online TEFL course, but I then read that they are a waste of time, then I wondered about jobs in care, which leads me here, and to my post.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kevin.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Working & living in Cambodia, jobs in care?

Post by TheGrinchSR »

1. There are lots of jobs in Cambodia for would-be unqualified English teachers.A TEFL would be a big step up on what many of the current crop of English teachers have to offer.
2. You have little (to no) hope of finding a paid caring position here - those are jobs which it's easy to train a local for (which is why they want Western volunteers) and then pay them much less than a Westerner would need to live on in Cambodia
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Hello Kev.
For sure there is a need in almost any direction you look.
You will find a whole new meaning to disillusionment if you come here.
On no account come here to look for work.

There is a way though, find a role with an international aid agency, NGO, charity or other development organisation before you come.
You MUST hire from an overseas location to get a decent job.
Local hires do not get a sustainable salary.

Check out the UN job site and do some research- there are whole fora devoted to these kind of jobs.
You may need to intern for 6 months to a year in order to get a foot onto the ladder.

Do not even think of teaching English.

Good Luck!
unclekevin
Tourist

Post by unclekevin »

Thank you for the replies, greatly appreciated.
bkktrapper
Expatriate

Post by bkktrapper »

You could be a volunteerism dude for a while in a ngo or you could work for beer and tips plus 15 dollar base wage in many siem reap bars and who know after a month or two you might stop "caring" at all. :beer2:
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic