Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Fines for no helmet to increase to 15000 riel

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
PP prices I guess. In SV it's 5000r - for the moment at least. I get the feeling that traffic fines are about to increase across the board. That was one of the reservations I had about calling out the SV cops on their fines. They might just make it $5 for everything - in that case the tourists may be better off, but not the residents - and it's amazing how easy it is to forget you've left your light on from the night before. :(
yeah ive only ever been fined twice, 5000r for lights on, and 10,000r for no helmet, theyve tried on other occasions but i refused to pay them and just drove off

i was driving with 2 of my khmer friends on our own bikes, and we got pulled over because 1 wasnt wearing a helmet, she paid the officer 5000r then goes to me after, that was my dad! lol he even charge his own daughter!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:It is still cheaper than I turn on the light at day time.
You pay more than 15000 for a light on ?
20000 riel for a light on, but I bargain 10000 riel. Maybe I'm look very gentle that was why every time I am fined is more expensive than others.
You should practice a tough look just for traffic police then!

I pay 5000R if I'm stopped on my bike. And I pay 10000R if I'm stopped in my car. I'm very rarely stopped - actually was not stopped from 2010 until this year, but the amounts I pay are still the same. I'll happily wait for them to accept the normal amount, and I'll smile and call the trap policeman "Bpuu" - always works. I've had them start negotiation as high as $40!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If a 5000r tax on motorbikes is not worth while the government collecting because the cost is worth more than the fee,, then it's a wonder that HE did not give the same directive to forget about collecting a fee for no helmets being used.

Hang on,, why did he not just increase the moto tax the same as he increased the no helmet fine ? The government workers still have to be paid, wether they are collecting taxes or not.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

The increasing number of cars makes up for more than the road tax from the motos. Cars are quite expensive. They must be making so much money from that now (unless it all disappears in some black hole).
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

That is correct, plus it's normal in a lot of western countries for tax relief on small bikes and electric vehicles to incentivise less pollution and road congestion.
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

Whereas here a small bike has no impact on pollution or road congestion.
Isn't it lovely to step out to the street in the morning, take a deep breath, and inhale the ever present smell of moto fumes...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Duncan wrote:If a 5000r tax on motorbikes is not worth while the government collecting because the cost is worth more than the fee,, then it's a wonder that HE did not give the same directive to forget about collecting a fee for no helmets being used.
Huh? Taxes and fines are totally different. The fine for not wearing a helmet was raised to increase compliance and (hopefully) save lives. It being cheaper to buy and wear a helmet than risk the fine. The moto tax was just about revenue and as you state "the cost is worth more than the fee".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kuroneko wrote:
Duncan wrote:If a 5000r tax on motorbikes is not worth while the government collecting because the cost is worth more than the fee,, then it's a wonder that HE did not give the same directive to forget about collecting a fee for no helmets being used.
Huh? Taxes and fines are totally different. The fine for not wearing a helmet was raised to increase compliance and (hopefully) save lives. It being cheaper to buy and wear a helmet than risk the fine. The moto tax was just about revenue and as you state "the cost is worth more than the fee".
They both end up in someone's back pocket, so what's different about them. If it's costing too much to collect, the answer is to be more efficient in the collection of the money.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:yeah a moto and some select newer cars in england only costs £18 for the year to tax, my last sports convertible was £120 for only 6months
MX5?

:P
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic