Women Shot Dead in Broad Daylight, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Women Shot Dead in Broad Daylight, Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

In what police say was a callous and likely calculated attack, a 36-year-old woman was shot dead in broad daylight as she drove her mother through Phnom Penh traffic on a motorbike yesterday morning.

[Bullet casings lie on the ground at the scene of a shooting in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district
Bullet casings lie on the ground at the scene of a shooting in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district yesterday morning. A 36-year-old woman was killed in the attack.]

Witnesses say they saw two helmeted men on a motorbike ride up alongside the victim, Kim Socheata, and her mother at about 9am in Por Sen Chey’s Kakab commune. As both motorbikes continued along the road, the men appeared to hesitate before the man riding pillion opened fire on the victim, striking her and knocking her to the road. She died at the scene.

“I was so shocked when the victim fell unconscious in front of me after I heard so many gunshots,” said Suong Sophorn, 46, who lives nearby. “I saw – and heard – their loud motorbike speed from the scene.”

Sophorn said she had at first suspected the two men intended to rob the women of jewellery, but noticed they made no attempt to steal anything. She believed the perpetrators knew their victim.

“They at first seemed reluctant to shoot, in case they might have mistaken the identity, but then they shot her. I wonder about this, because it is so cruel,” she said.

A second witness recounted a similar story to a Post reporter; however, neither could give detailed descriptions of the suspects. With helmets mostly obscuring the faces of both men, their most distinguishing feature was that they rode a large black motorcycle.

Yim Saran, Por Sen Chey district police chief, said officers were still piecing together what had happened and indicated that they had few leads.

“Journalists know already that it is a shooting,” he said when asked about details of the case, including the type of gun used.

He added, however, that officers had found bullet casings near the body that suggested six bullets were fired.
The victim, medical tests confirmed, was shot twice – in the ribs and above one of her knees, he said.

“Police suspect it is a case of.....

...click link to continue reading and for photo...

http://phnompenhpost.com/national/woman ... ad-capital

By Kim Sarom
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Women Shot Dead in Broad Daylight, Phnom Penh

Post by Jaap N. »

Horrible story.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

One of the articles in Khmer (I can't remember which newspaper it is but will try to find the link again) mentioned that her husband is a traders in luxury timber in Ratanakiri and that the police also suspected a "love triangle."

It might have more to do with her husband's business in my view.

But in any case, it is a dreadful, tragic and outrageous crime. I hope the killers will be found and especially the people who ordered the murder. May she rest in peace.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Thanks, GM.

One question: why do we get so many links and then there is only one more line left to read?

Kind of a let down, no?

Formatting problem?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Joon wrote:... the police also suspected a "love triangle."
Hmmmm, a love triangle with no acid attacks? Hard to believe.
vladimir wrote:
One question: why do we get so many links and then there is only one more line left to read?
Very good question.

Actually, I could just copy-n-paste the whole article and give no links, but I feel the least I can do to give them some credit for their journalism is to leave off a little so the reader has to click the link in order to read it in its entirety.

So, I leave the link, cut off the end, and even try to list the author here too so they get as much credit as possible.

I hope we can agree it's the least I can do in an attempt to be fair.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic