Woman drowning at the beach?

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
thePeck
Expatriate
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm
Karma: 0
Location: Russey Keo
Contact:
United States of America

Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby thePeck » Thu May 15, 2014 6:59 pm

My girl just said a girl on our bus to the beach about 2 weeks ago drowned. Can't find anything. You hear anything OD over there?
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 5544
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Karma: 102
Location: OgooBoogoo
Palestine

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby vladimir » Thu May 15, 2014 7:23 pm

A word of advice to everybody: in my younger days I did a lot of surfing and swimming.

You cannot always judge what the sea is doing from what you see on the surface, and some calm water can hide very strong rip currents underneath. You might think Sinville beaches look calm, but they can be very dangerous.

Be careful, a few seconds is all it takes, and please watch your kids (and other people's, not everyone is a good parent, but the kid shouldn't suffer if we can help).
Oh, Carruthers, if you can hear me, wave your antennae.
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4183
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 6
United States of America

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby OrangeDragon » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 5544
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Karma: 102
Location: OgooBoogoo
Palestine

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby vladimir » Fri May 16, 2014 7:27 am

Best advice if you find yourself in a rip, relax, go with it and try and float on your back. Fighting it will often kill people.
Oh, Carruthers, if you can hear me, wave your antennae.
User avatar
thePeck
Expatriate
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm
Karma: 0
Location: Russey Keo
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby thePeck » Fri May 16, 2014 6:41 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
I bet you've been called that though lol ;-)

I grew up on Florida beaches, we ALWAYS had bitch rip currents. Because of all the sand bars it caused bad ones. But Vlads advice is sound. Just let it pull, don't panic and after it's done swim back in or Parallel to the shore if it's still strong.

I haven't ever felt one at the beach here yet, or one I'd even call a rip tide.
User avatar
Bosco
Tourist
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 4:03 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby Bosco » Fri May 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Was down the coast in Ha Tien for a swim yesterday. Also a nasty current there. The Viets have better markings warning people which is helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4183
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 6
United States of America

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby OrangeDragon » Sat May 17, 2014 2:58 am

thePeck wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Yeh, it was a khmer girl (not sure of age). A lot of speculation, no answers... my speculation is the rip current that orch. beach has that half of the residents say doesn't exist. it's pulled me out and under once in the 3 times i've swam there, but never far. but i'm also not a khmer chick, of any age, and have been swimming in strong currents since i could walk.
I bet you've been called that though lol ;-)

I grew up on Florida beaches, we ALWAYS had bitch rip currents. Because of all the sand bars it caused bad ones. But Vlads advice is sound. Just let it pull, don't panic and after it's done swim back in or Parallel to the shore if it's still strong.

I haven't ever felt one at the beach here yet, or one I'd even call a rip tide.
it's far from massive, not even overpowering to an experienced swimmer. weak enough that when it grabbed me i dipped under and was able to go semi-perpendicular out of it before i was even clear of it. but to a 50 kilo girl who's never been in the water over her belly button and is wearing a t-shirt and heavy wet jean shorts... devastating i'm sure.
User avatar
Hotdigr
Expatriate
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Karma: 45

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby Hotdigr » Sat May 17, 2014 11:40 am

You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo, so I'm not putting this out as gospel. But the latest I heard from a couple of Khmer girls down on the beach was that it was a suicide after she broke up with her boyfriend a couple of days before.
User avatar
Bosco
Tourist
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 4:03 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby Bosco » Sat May 17, 2014 11:58 am

Hotdigr wrote:You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo
Yes, it's a complete shithole.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
User avatar
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4183
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Karma: 6
United States of America

Re: Woman drowning at the beach?

Postby OrangeDragon » Sat May 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Hotdigr wrote:You fella's know how this town runs on rumour and innuendo, so I'm not putting this out as gospel. But the latest I heard from a couple of Khmer girls down on the beach was that it was a suicide after she broke up with her boyfriend a couple of days before.
how? she jump off the pier then wade out to where she couldn't touch?

;-)


  • Advertisement
Booking.com

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Newsworthy”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CEOCambodiaNews, Google [Bot] and 278 guests