Virginity for sale

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11472
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2856
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Virginity for sale

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:57 pm

hard for us westerners to accept but.....
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -sex-trade

Its a daughter "duty" to assist the family and if by selling something that will most likely be given away for free.....
Truly wrong but Its Asia

Who is the criminal?
the mother for selling her daughter
or the
rich man that buys?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 pm

vs the norm of selling them into a lifetime of it via an arranged marriage...
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by nightmare.believer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:07 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:vs the norm of selling them into a lifetime of it via an arranged marriage...
I dated a Japanese who left me to get into an arranged marriage. But I can guarantee her virginity was not intact.
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by ali baba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:52 am

phuketrichard wrote:hard for us westerners to accept but.....
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -sex-trade

Its a daughter "duty" to assist the family and if by selling something that will most likely be given away for free.....
Truly wrong but Its Asia

Who is the criminal?
the mother for selling her daughter
or the
rich man that buys?
Do you think parents take the decision to push their children into prostitution lightly? The woman in the article didn't appear to. In fact the thought didn't even occur to her until someone else suggested it. The family was a victim of circumstances if the articles portrayal was accurate.

PS- Mu Sochua has never been a member of the CPP. I have emailed a link to her wiki page to the guardian's corrections department.
Scarier than malaria.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by Soi Dog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 am

ali baba wrote: Do you think parents take the decision to push their children into prostitution lightly? The woman in the article didn't appear to. In fact the thought didn't even occur to her until someone else suggested it. The family was a victim of circumstances if the articles portrayal was accurate.
Whether the decision was taken lightly or agonized over is irrelevant. The damage is done. Doesn't selling her virginity practically guarantee she will never find a decent Khmer husband, and therefore have to rely on prostitution from now on? I can't imagine it being a one-time event. She is now her family's financial lifeline, but she will never be respected by them.
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by ali baba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:55 am

Soi Dog wrote:Whether the decision was taken lightly or agonized over is irrelevant. The damage is done. Doesn't selling her virginity practically guarantee she will never find a decent Khmer husband, and therefore have to rely on prostitution from now on? I can't imagine it being a one-time event. She is now her family's financial lifeline, but she will never be respected by them.
No need to speculate when you can read!!
The article linked in the OP wrote:I asked Uy if I could meet Chamnan, who is now 22, but it wasn't possible. With the little money left over from her ordeal, she had returned to Kandal province and found a job in a government garment factory making underwear. Does she resent that Uy's grand plan didn't materialise? "I don't think so. She has a steady boyfriend now and hopes to marry him. She has a better life." But then, as a mother, Uy probably would think that.
Your welcome, lazy poster.
Scarier than malaria.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by Soi Dog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:34 am

ali baba wrote: She has a steady boyfriend now and hopes to marry him. She has a better life." But then, as a mother, Uy probably would think that.
I have no doubt she has found a local guy who wants to sleep with her. It says she hopes to marry him. She can hope to win the lottery too...doesn't mean it will ever happen.

How long before the family needs another influx of cash, and the daughter is selling herself again?
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by ali baba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 am

Maybe her boyfriend wants to do more than just sleep with her once. Maybe he'd like to share his life with her. Who knows?

You sound like you are projecting misanthropy in your posts. Some men don't hate women, rare as these men are. It's amusing that you compare the chances of a young woman with a boyfriend getting married to a lottery win.

--How long before the family needs another influx of cash, and the daughter is selling herself again?--
Have you heard of a dowry aka bride-price? Why would the family rent her out if they can offload her and get a payday simultaneously?
Scarier than malaria.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by Soi Dog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 am

ali baba wrote:Maybe her boyfriend wants to do more than just sleep with her once. Maybe he'd like to share his life with her. Who knows?

You sound like you are projecting misanthropy in your posts. Some men don't hate women, rare as these men are. It's amusing that you compare the chances of a young woman with a boyfriend getting married to a lottery win.

--How long before the family needs another influx of cash, and the daughter is selling herself again?--
Have you heard of a dowry aka bride-price? Why would the family rent her out if they can offload her and get a payday simultaneously?
You are assuming no negative reputation impacts from her having sold her body to another man. From what I understand of Khmer culture, that aspect of her past is viewed even more negatively than in some other cultures, although I doubt having your son marry a prostitute is viewed positively in any culture. Selling her virginity made her as prostitute. I am not judging her, but any prospective in-laws surely will.
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by ali baba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 am

How would any prospective in-laws know she sold her virginity?
Is it the sort of thing Cambodian women announce to others?
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post