Virginity for sale

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by nightmare.believer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am

It was established practice in ancient Cambodia to have the elder monks deflower young virgins. You cant look at this situation with your western eyes.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by Soi Dog » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am

nightmare.believer wrote:It was established practice in ancient Cambodia to have the elder monks deflower young virgins. You cant look at this situation with your western eyes.
1) This is not ancient Cambodia
2) a wealthy Chinese businessman is not a monk

Your recent posts make Flying Chicken's seem coherent and rational, by comparison.
User avatar
JBTrain
Expatriate
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm
Reputation: 4
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by JBTrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 am

nightmare.believer wrote:It was established practice in ancient Cambodia to have the elder monks deflower young virgins. You cant look at this situation with your western eyes.
So ethical judgments of cultural practices should only be made by those who practice them? That's nuts. And ethically indefensible.
Using Tapatalk
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by nightmare.believer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 am

JBTrain wrote:So ethical judgments of cultural practices should only be made by those who practice them?
No. But you don't have to go around slapping burgers out of people's mouths because you are a vegan.

They eat dogs in South Korea. I lived above a dog soup restaurant. I've seen the tortured looks of the skulls placed next to leg quarters and back meat in ice cream freezers in the traditional markets. I even happened upon two dogs being tortured in a cage, tennis ball in mouth, wire hanger through that and tied so as to rip at the edges of the dogs' mouths. Torturing the dogs before death makes the meat sweeter.

The whole western world is against this because their beagles all have human names and are fed by nuzzling their noses in owners' crotches at the dining table. To the Koreans, a dog was just another farm animal to be consumed.

Are they wrong? Are you sure you're right?
User avatar
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:26 am
Reputation: 2984
Location: Behind you.
Australia

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 am

Too fuckin right they're wrong for torturing animals!!

Fuck me.
The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 11330
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 2087
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by frank lee bent » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 am

seems very weird the4 idea virginity could have much value in the first place.

i guess a new car is a good analogue. worth more before the engine is run in. but you have to drive it slow for a while at first.
User avatar
ali baba
Expatriate
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 am
Reputation: 34

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by ali baba » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 am

frank lee bent wrote:seems very weird the4 idea virginity could have much value in the first place.

i guess a new car is a good analogue. worth more before the engine is run in. but you have to drive it slow for a while at first.
It was a method of ensuring patrilineal inheritance. It is certainly an anachronism today.
Scarier than malaria.
User avatar
JBTrain
Expatriate
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm
Reputation: 4
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by JBTrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 am

nightmare.believer wrote:
JBTrain wrote:So ethical judgments of cultural practices should only be made by those who practice them?
No. But you don't have to go around slapping burgers out of people's mouths because you are a vegan.

They eat dogs in South Korea. I lived above a dog soup restaurant. I've seen the tortured looks of the skulls placed next to leg quarters and back meat in ice cream freezers in the traditional markets. I even happened upon two dogs being tortured in a cage, tennis ball in mouth, wire hanger through that and tied so as to rip at the edges of the dogs' mouths. Torturing the dogs before death makes the meat sweeter.

The whole western world is against this because their beagles all have human names and are fed by nuzzling their noses in owners' crotches at the dining table. To the Koreans, a dog was just another farm animal to be consumed.

Are they wrong? Are you sure you're right?
You won't find me slapping burgers from anybody's mouth. But yes in your specific example involving torture in my view they are wrong (which would make me right). I'm somewhat famous in the interwebs for my views on dog consumption.
Using Tapatalk
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 am
Reputation: 3
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by nightmare.believer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

"I'm somewhat famous in the interwebs for my views on dog consumption"

Why's that? What's your interest?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Virginity for sale

Post by OrangeDragon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:38 am

JBTrain wrote:So ethical judgments of cultural practices should only be made by those who practice them?
To some degree... because of cultural context. Like lopping the tip of a child's foreskin off, permanent genital mutilation, despite evidence that it causes emotional damage, occasional lasting physical pain, decreased sexual enjoyment, social issues, etc. All because a 3000 year old culture dictates it.

It really comes down to one trying to assert their cultural norms on others with differing cultural norms.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big'n, camboguy6, CEOCambodiaNews, Conny, Element6, Google [Bot], laredo, Majestic-12 [Bot], Oumedc, Soriya and 724 guests