Unidentified Luxury Lexus Driver (Possibly a Governor) Kills Two in Fatal Smash

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Unidentified Luxury Lexus Driver (Possibly a Governor) Kills Two in Fatal Smash

Post by mannanman »

MrBen87 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:00 am Heartless bastard didn't even check the victims and I presume he wil get away with it, probably by paying off the "witnesses" or it will just disappear along with the rest of the other "police are searching for"
Unfortunately (or not) that’s the custom in many Asian countries. Paying damages/compensation to the family, even if it went to court, especially someone coined up.

To our western eyes it’s deplorable but to many countries it’s normal.

RIP.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Unidentified Luxury Lexus Driver (Possibly a Governor) Kills Two in Fatal Smash

Post by Jerry Atrick »

mannanman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:12 pm
MrBen87 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:00 am Heartless bastard didn't even check the victims and I presume he wil get away with it, probably by paying off the "witnesses" or it will just disappear along with the rest of the other "police are searching for"
Unfortunately (or not) that’s the custom in many Asian countries. Paying damages/compensation to the family, even if it went to court, especially someone coined up.

To our western eyes it’s deplorable but to many countries it’s normal.

RIP.
We just have insurance companies to do the paying off in "western" countries

Anyhow, tragic as this accident was it's not murder - it's a road traffic accident - and a beaten up moto pulling a heavy trailer turning onto a main road doesn't really stand a chance against an SUV

If it were the "west" the families of the dead lads wouldn't get jack shit as insurance wouldn't pay due to illegal moto and trailer combo without license (almost absolutely certain) and the SUV would be fixed by owners insurance

At least here the families will get some compensation for their loss, even if it's a drop in the metaphorical ocean
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

If this happened in Philippine the Governor would by now have paid a "look alike" to say he was driving ... wasn't me I was here with so and so my new driver had the car that day seen it before .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic