Almost Half a Ton of Drugs Seized by Navy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Almost Half a Ton of Drugs Seized by Navy

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More photos:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:16 pm That's a hell of a coincidence. I wonder....
They busted the 'supposed leader' of The Company in Amsterdam last week
and one of his big-time long-time colleagues in Singapore a few days ago
then this

I wonder if the cops have maybe just cracked the phone code.

All greatly diminished of course with the news that another of the big players slipped his cuffs last night whilst in the custody of cambodian authorities.
post472789.html#p472789

(Incidentally, next time somebody is heading out to Koh Polowai please give me a call.
The outermost Cambodian island group and it looks stunning on GoogleEarth.
Two matching kidney shaped islands. A small naval base, an airstrip and a few hundred coconut trees
Approx 100km to S'ville)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Police search out source of 500kg stash of ketamine
Voun Dara | Publication date 09 February 2021 | 21:41 ICT

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has instructed investigators to clearly identify the sources of drugs being trafficked to Cambodia in light of the recent case where nearly 500kg of ketamine was found on Koh Poulo Wai Island in Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Rong Samloem commune.

Speaking at the ministry on February 9, he said more work must be done with a focus on identifying the international sources of drugs being trafficked from abroad.

“Why study this more now? Because now we know that more and more drugs are being trafficked through Cambodia because we keep seizing more and more of them. A few days ago, [the navy] seized nearly 500kg of drugs hidden on Koh Poulo Wai in Preah Sihanouk province and handed them over to police,” he said.

Sar Kheng emphasised that the nearly 500kg of drugs were most likely not destined to be used in Cambodia. Rather, the offenders were probably trans-shipping them through Cambodia for distribution in nearby countries with larger populations such as Vietnam and Thailand.

While on routine patrol on February 6, the naval forces of the Front Line Maritime Security Command of the National Committee for Maritime Security (NCMS) discovered 465kg of drugs that had been stashed on the island, according to Tea Sokha, the deputy navy commander and commander of the NCMS.

Meas Vyrith, secretary-general of the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD), said: “With the nearly 500kg of ketamine the navy found, we are now examining it closely and looking at things like the methods used for packaging to see if this is possibly related to any cases we’ve encountered in the past.”

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... h-ketamine

:Bravo: There's a clue here.
Perhaps there could be some connection between these latest drugs and all the other hundreds (maybe thousands?) of kilos of drugs that have been seized in Cambodia disguised in these exact same golden Chinese Tea packets ?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: The authorities suspect that the discovery could be part of a Chinese operation connected with Thailand and Sihanoukville.

12 February 2021
Lt Gen Kim Khoeun said police suspect the drugs seized were imported from a neighbouring country and authorities will cooperate with other nations in order to prevent crime at sea.

A high-ranking military official working for the National Committee for Maritime Security, who asked not be named, told Khmer Times yesterday that at 11am on February 5, naval forces based in Pouluwai Island found 23 boxes containing drugs floating in the sea.

He said the drugs were inside foam boxes and were found floating around two kilometres west of the island.

He added that the 23 boxes, containing a total of 464.5 kilogrammes of ketamine, had Chinese writing on them.

“Based on this, the suspects are probably Chinese nationals,” he told Khmer Times yesterday.

“They could have transported drugs from Thailand by ship and tried to import them to Sihanoukville by hiding them in the Pouluwai Island area,” he said.

“But while transporting the drugs, they probably saw our marine forces guarding the seas. They then possibly threw the drugs into the sea and fled,” he added.

Every day, he said, there are a lot of large waves and hurricanes around Pouluwai Island, which prevents the naval forces from patrolling all areas all of the time, adding that the National Committee for Maritime Security sometimes does not have enough gasoline to fill the ship to patrol the seas.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50813422/p ... nd-at-sea/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:11 pm
Marty wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 am Obviously to us, smuggling literally tons of ketamine and of methamphetamine in Chinese tea packets isn't working anymore. Why not hide this half ton of ketamine in that 6.5 tons of Vietnamese Chemical Shrimps?
OK I get that. Everything is x-rayed. But since these are Chemical Shrimps, why not have the drugz dissolved in the other chemicals? Only solid objects will show up on x-rays. What about dissoving these drugz in gasoline and transport in pipelines or tanker trucks, as was successfully done in a James Bond 007 movie several years back? I'm just saying these are some inept criminals if they can secure or synthesize tons of this stuff, but then have it get caught in transport. Good chemists, bad logistical dudes.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Marty wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:43 am
Marty wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 am Obviously to us, smuggling literally tons of ketamine and of methamphetamine in Chinese tea packets isn't working anymore. Why not hide this half ton of ketamine in that 6.5 tons of Vietnamese Chemical Shrimps?
OK I get that. Everything is x-rayed. But since these are Chemical Shrimps, why not have the drugz dissolved in the other chemicals? Only solid objects will show up on x-rays. What about dissoving these drugz in gasoline and transport in pipelines or tanker trucks, as was successfully done in a James Bond 007 movie several years back? I'm just saying these are some inept criminals if they can secure or synthesize tons of this stuff, but then have it get caught in transport. Good chemists, bad logistical dudes.
There's plenty made in other countries, such has America and Europe including the UK. But admittedly in less quantity, WHY! You don't need to ask, it's all about the availability to source the chemical (legal drugs) to produce that of an illegal drug in high demand. Unfortunately for the chemist, maker in first world countries the substances used are closely monitored.
I would say in this part of the world if the government's of the countries wanted to put a halt to the drugs progress and process it would be possible to stop it more from the beginning of the supply, also if it was looked into more closely they may find that of the elusive king pin.
But something tells me many fingers are in the pie, so that's never going to happen.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Meth dissolved in gasoline ? :head shot: Sounds like a sure-fire killer.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:45 pm
Meth dissolved in gasoline ? :head shot: Sounds like a sure-fire killer.
Yes, that particular brand of meth is never smoked. Snorted or injected only.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Marty wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:43 am OK I get that. Everything is x-rayed. But since these are Chemical Shrimps, why not have the drugz dissolved in the other chemicals? Only solid objects will show up on x-rays. What about dissoving these drugz in gasoline and transport in pipelines or tanker trucks, as was successfully done in a James Bond 007 movie several years back? I'm just saying these are some inept criminals if they can secure or synthesize tons of this stuff, but then have it get caught in transport. Good chemists, bad logistical dudes.
That's clever, but not exactly a new concept. Medical grade Ketamine comes in a liquid solution for intramuscular or IV injection (my sister has been an anesthetist for many years). Back in the 90s it was easily available over the counter in India and other countries. Cambodia was a source for a while, and much of the product here was made by Roche in Dublin, I never touched it but found it amusing . So people would just repackage it as Rose Water or Contact Lens Solution and there was no problem sending it by parcel service it or carrying it as luggage, it wasn't even classed as a risky recreational drug at the time. It wouldn't show up on any normal drug tests used by customs either. So that all changed with 9-11 and suddenly liquids came under scrutiny. These days most of the Ketamine around isn't coming from pharmaceutical sources, it's from illegal labs in China and Myanmar. It's smuggled as a powder as the liquid form is far heavier, bulky and has a propensity to leak. I can't imagine how terrible a K- fueled party in "Westport" would be. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Just the descriptions of the "high" sounds unappealing to me. I'd avoid. But there must be some appeal if tons of this stuff are caught in transport and probably tons more get through.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic