COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:17 pm When it rain, it pours...

All Pedro and Zando shoppers to quarantine at Sokha Hotel.
At who's expense?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Post by atst »

I did wonder about that the other night seems to be a lot of lights on at the Sokha hotel now when a week ago virtually none. Thought maybe it's being used for quarantine again
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

4 more tested positive.

Ith Komal, male, 35, living in Boeng Kang Kong III, who visited Zando on November 27th

Sorn Sun Panharith, male, 20, living in Takhmao, staff at the Pedro store on Sihanouk Blvd

Long Sony, female, 38, living in Takhmao, staff at the Pedro store

Tao Kimhok, male, 33, living Boeng Tompong, who had contact with Nhel Sokolap, who was found to be infected previously.

As of 7 am on December 9, Cambodia has found a total of 354 cases of COVID-19, with 307 treated and 47 active cases who are currently hospitalized.

On the night of December 8, 2020, the Ministry of Health issued a press release asking all citizens living in Phnom Penh that visited the Zando Store and Pedro store from November 27, 2020, to report a statement at Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh, with all expenses taken care of by the Royal Government.

[cne link removed]
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:52 am I did wonder about that the other night seems to be a lot of lights on at the Sokha hotel now when a week ago virtually none. Thought maybe it's being used for quarantine again
I think that's all it is being used for, you can't make a private booking, their website has blocked off all the days right through until next December, Maybe they know something!

Since I have been here I have never seen many lights on at the Socka. They are probably the busiest they have ever been.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm sure the government got a cheap rate, not like anyone else is using the hotel anyways.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:36 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:50 am Somebody said the coordinated responses were getting better.
Are they? or is it turning into the nonsensical chaos that many of us feared?

Khmer group hysteria is a bit of a thing, and false rumours fly like termites in May.
That ain't gonna help.
Tell you what Stern, I read the tabloids and this site, all online, in some kind of safety at home, go to the supermarket when need, but after midnight, not many people shopping that time, but food panda works a treat just now. Yesterday the landlady's sister only one I see with a mask when she calls for the rent monies.
but food panda works a treat just now

Those guys interact with a lot of people and handle a lot of dirty cash (tuks picking their noses then giving you change). That's where you shield has a big hole. I would be doing some home cooking as much as possible if you are trying to shield.

Knock up a curry!
You are certainly correct about this, I wonder how many members actually thought of the same?
I didn't, and it's plane to see the bottle of alcohol in every restaurant entrance. We have a spray bottle of alcohol just in the door way of the apartment, my partner put it there, I thought she was having some kind of flashbacks when she run my bar/restaurant, no, she like you doc67 purposely put it there for if we entered or for the reason of food delivery, the riders to are free to clean there hands if they wish.
I do still cook the odd curry at times, but also believe it or not enjoy most other food's too, tonight, it's meat and two veg.

What would you and members say that the most used money notes would be here?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'm a big fan of money. real money.
but just like going to the loo i wash my hands or use hand sanitiser after almost every time i touch it these days, religiously.
Not a lot of Covid circulating here right now, but it has reminded me just how dirty banknotes can be.

Possibly a good time to step up the handwashing generally in Cambodia right now.
(but you gotta do it well. Sanitiser use becomes an natural habit after the first couple of hundred times or so)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Josideb wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am 4 more tested positive.

Ith Komal, male, 35, living in Boeng Kang Kong III, who visited Zando on November 27th

Sorn Sun Panharith, male, 20, living in Takhmao, staff at the Pedro store on Sihanouk Blvd

Long Sony, female, 38, living in Takhmao, staff at the Pedro store

Tao Kimhok, male, 33, living Boeng Tompong, who had contact with Nhel Sokolap, who was found to be infected previously.

As of 7 am on December 9, Cambodia has found a total of 354 cases of COVID-19, with 307 treated and 47 active cases who are currently hospitalized.

On the night of December 8, 2020, the Ministry of Health issued a press release asking all citizens living in Phnom Penh that visited the Zando Store and Pedro store from November 27, 2020, to report a statement at Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh, with all expenses taken care of by the Royal Government.

[cne link removed]
Hey, anyone who is down and out in Phnom Penh, here's your chance of a 2 week holiday at the upmarket Socha Hotel, courtesy of The Royal Government of Cambodia.

No more ducking and diving between Smilie and Super Duper stores with your picture in the window, no more guesthouse owner chasing you around town.

Just rock up to the Socha and tell them you were in both Pedro and Zando stores and you need to quarantine. In no time you'll be in a plush air conditioned room with room service day and night. How good is that...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Now that's an idea, pity I've paid up in apartment till 19th , shit happens
I do notice lots of windows open during the day at least you can get fresh air and the views would be nice
I wonder if they check the cameras at the shops to confirm you did go, or is that to simple.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

atst wrote:I wonder if they check the cameras at the shops to confirm you did go, or is that to simple.
Checking many cameras and hunting down shoppers sounds like a lot of work for no tea money. One or two, maybe. But are the local cops that motivated?

They put an official announcement. So actually checking is optional. Staying locked in your room for 14 days is optional, as well.

As the numbers of people negative before flight, negative after flight, positive after 14 day quarantine at designated hotel, increases, I keep thinking that people aren’t really staying IN their rooms, and are congregating wherever they want in the hotel.

Like the pool, the restaurants, the bar, the gym.
And possibly not deep cleaning each room and area after a quarantined person leaves.

I’ll put my tin foil hat back on, now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic