19Yo Chinese Girl Dies by Falling from Phnom Penh Highrise

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

19Yo Chinese Girl Dies by Falling from Phnom Penh Highrise

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Do not know what happened? A beautiful girl fell from the 12th floor condo
August 05, 2020 10:42 Yim Chhoeun
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: It's been reported that a Chinese woman fell from the 12th floor of a condominium building, causing a surprise at 11 pm on August 4, 2020 at CONDO THE PENTHOUSE residence Sothearos Street in Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon.
According to the report, the body of the victim was a 20-year-old Chinese woman living in room 1208, on the 12th floor of the building.
That evening, security sources said that they were guarding around the condominium when they suddenly found the dead woman lying on the ground. They called the police, who were accompanied by forensic experts when they went to inspect the deceased.
The scene was cordoned off, while the guards turned off the lights and prevented journalists from taking pictures. There was no comment from the condominium managers.
According to the authorities, the Chinese woman shared the room with other women and she was not alone when she died. It is still not clear if she fell accidentally, or whether she jumped, or was pushed or thrown.
The woman had drugs in her system and more police research is underway to establish the cause of death. There are suspicions that she may have been a victim of human trafficking.
The body of the deceased was taken to Stung Meanchey pagoda to wait for her relatives. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 19Yo Chinese Girl Dies by Falling from Phnom Penh Highrise

Post by John Bingham »

In other sources you can see clearly that she was 19, not 20. It's on her passport. And apparently she only entered the country on August 3rd. Appalling story so far.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I guess she just couldnt handle the quarantine.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

canucklhead wrote:I guess she just couldnt handle the quarantine.
Stupid comment considering it’s suspected she was a sex trafficking victim.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am
Well said Roz. Such a facile comment for what is a tragic event.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Reading through these death threads will teach you one thing at least. There is definitely no shortage of foreign misanthropes in Cambodia.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

rozzieoz wrote:
Is that currently the case? That was my first thought as well, even though there's no direct evidence. It's all a bit weird.
-19 years old (so no useful working experience to be here, little education, and apparently not a residing family's child)
-very recently arrived
-living with a bunch of other women in some condo unit

Kind of rings alarm bells even without knowing all the details. Sounds like a young woman promised one thing and she quickly found out it was all a lie.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

We don't know. And we probably never will. And perhaps it's not even any of our business. But it is sad nonetheless.

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee"
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm -living with a bunch of other women in some condo unit
let's hope they follow up on this
and get the whole organization

they could do worse than get the chinese embassy involved

monstra mihi bona!
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Can anyone explain the rationale of why they would pixelate a normal passport photo of a dead person? What does that accomplish? (I realize this is from the original media.)

No matter how hard I try I can’t avoid conjuring up the scenario of a young girl being brought here under false pretenses. And when refusing to enter prostitution she’s thrown out of the window like a bag of garbage. Or she is pressured so badly that she jumps herself.

And the most outrageous thing of all is because these are Chinese, it will all be swept under the rug.

Warning graphic image
Spoiler:
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic