Koh Rong Sonloem

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Koh Rong Sonloem

Post by lostjeremy »

Hope everyone got to visit and relax there at least once before it's destruction...

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Koh Rong Sonloem

Post by Queef »

lostjeremy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:23 am Hope everyone got to visit and relax there at least once before it's destruction...

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
What are you talking about? The place is already a dump. Can't walk on the sand without shoes on. I mean you can if tetanus is the least of your concerns. They water reeks and has a darkish/ brownish color in some places. There's already a bunch of wannabe eco-tourism resorts that dump their raw sewage right in the ocean. The destruction started years ago my friend.
We should say enjoy Kampot, Kep, and parts of Koh Kong before they get completely destroyed.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

What's the problem walking on sand barefoot. In some places one has to.

There are big bays as pristine as can be.

WhIch part is the filthy bit, can't be worse than it was on Serendipity in Snook those 10 years ago
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 am What's the problem walking on sand barefoot. In some places one has to.

WhIch part is the filthy bit, can't be worse than it was on Serendipity in Snook those 10 years ago
I'm a barefooter, however I was told first- and secondhand of a person getting those skinburrowing worms/parasites in his feet from sand.

Plus, it would be better to keep any open wounds (including small cuts) away from filthy water
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 am What's the problem walking on sand barefoot. In some places one has to.

You'll find all kind of garbage on the beach. Not just plastic. If you don't mind getting stabbed by rusty metallic things and/ or pieces of broken glass, then shoes are definitely not necessary. Swimming in someone's shit isn't really something I find relaxing and enjoyable. Oh and the sand flies. I forgot the sand flies.

"There are big bays as pristine as can be" based on Cambodian standards maybe (or for someone that lives in a country where the beach isn't exotic at all). Anyone that visited beaches in southern Europe or the Caribbean will be disappointed by the sight of KRS. Some of my Bulgarian friends just came back from there. They're definitely not going back to KRS any time soon. They're from Bulgaria ffs.

I was told the first time I was there that the filth was due to the rainy season and the currents/ winds changing directions. I went back during the dry season and it was still filthy. Idk what SHV looked like 10 years ago. All I know is that Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem are definitely nothing like what you can see on Google Images. False advertising for sure.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Queef wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 pm

You'll find all kind of garbage on the beach. Not just plastic. If you don't mind getting stabbed by rusty metallic things and/ or pieces of broken glass, then shoes are definitely not necessary. Swimming in someone's shit isn't really something I find relaxing and enjoyable. Oh and the sand flies. I forgot the sand flies.

"There are big bays as pristine as can be" based on Cambodian standards maybe (or for someone that lives in a country where the beach isn't exotic at all). Anyone that visited beaches in southern Europe or the Caribbean will be disappointed by the sight of KRS. Some of my Bulgarian friends just came back from there. They're definitely not going back to KRS any time soon. They're from Bulgaria ffs.

I was told the first time I was there that the filth was due to the rainy season and the currents/ winds changing directions. I went back during the dry season and it was still filthy. Idk what SHV looked like 10 years ago. All I know is that Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem are definitely nothing like what you can see on Google Images. False advertising for sure.
Beachgoers Beware? 5 Pathogens That Lurk In Sand

Walking barefoot on a tropical beach may sound idyllic, but in some areas, you'll want to be wary of hookworms, which are parasites that can infect both people and animals. Some species of hookworm that typically infect cats and dogs can be transmitted to people through sand or contaminated soil, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The superbug MRSA is particularly problematic in hospitals, but the bacteria can also be found out in the environment, including on beaches, studies have found.

The perils of a day at the beach aren’t always as easy to see as riptides, broken shells and jellyfish— the sand at the shore may harbor E. coli and other potentially dangerous disease-causing bacteria, a recent study showed.

The fungus is among us at the beach, too. Types of fungi that cause skin and nail infections — which belong to a broad group known as "dermatophytes" — have been found on beaches. They may spread through direct contact with people, animals or sand, according to the American Society for Microbiology (ASM).

At beaches that allow dogs, the sand might harbor Toxocara canis, a parasitic roundworm that typically infects canines, according to ASM.
https://www.livescience.com/62898-sand- ... eases.html
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

OK

When I was there a few years ago the long Beach was pristine. There was only like 1 or 2 buildings there

You must be talking about the town beach or something.

Yes I wore boots walking most of the way but there's forest to cross full of centipedes and stuff
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 pm OK

When I was there a few years ago the long Beach was pristine. There was only like 1 or 2 buildings there

You must be talking about the town beach or something.

Yes I wore boots walking most of the way but there's forest to cross full of centipedes and stuff
I was there in December. Place is a shithole. Which one is Long Beach? Saracen? If it is Saracen, then it's far from being pristine. Too many resorts. Too much trash.

I went to several beaches, including one that required a 3 hour walk through the "jungle". Trash and more trash.

KRS and KR are cool if you're 20 and just want to drop acid and get shitfaced, however if you're looking for nature and a peaceful environment, they are not the place to be. Rabbit island if far better, even with the trash.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

OK

Maybe it's changed since I was there. I thought it was a bit of a hideaway paradise but i guessit isn't no more.

What I did know is there's not much buildings on the place when I was there so not really polluted.

Rabbit island better...the one near Kep ?
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I was there last March and swam 10km in a weekend around Saracen Bay area. Didn't really see any trash at all, not in the main beach or out in the water. But I didn't see any sea life either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic