Hun Sens Deadline...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Hun Sens Deadline...

Post by Username Taken »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm
You'd think, if you want to run a post-war Third World country, you'd have a little beef supporting you?
Yeah right. He's only been at it for 30 odd years.

Are you a new arrival to Cambodia? :facepalm:
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

To John B.,

Again, I feel uncertainty (fear) impedes real (Western) understanding of this long-serving head of state.

They fear he ticks all the marks of a ruthless mob boss: dark, a bit dangerous, outspoken contempt, foreign, former military, oftentimes dressed "unfashionably", the list goes on. Missing opponents and no one says a word. Not a peep. Not a single spilled bean. Each time. Silence.

I think the silence may be not so much fear as support. Some people I'm sure didn't care for that dissenting voice.

When the big guy makes a point though, he makes you grin after he asks you to be indignant about some wrong, and you end up saying, "You know, he's kind of right."

You perk up and listen harder, and he explains another wrong unfolding, its dangers, its consequences, and what must be done about it.

His "down to earth" manner is reassuring to a lot of Cambodians, as simple as they are. He's got answers and reasons and he's sharing them with them.

I see villagers tune into the big man, at first skeptically, then one by one each of them nods and sort of relaxes. I can almost see their thought - "Someone is thinking for us. Someone is clearing the gullies, pumping water to our dry crops, warning us of societal dangers."

He projects a caring, strong authority figure.

Kind of hard to explain him to voters back home, though. He makes for easy pickin's by looks alone.

EDITS: So many little typos, like scattered grains of rice, so difficult to see at first ...
Last edited by SmartAston Martin on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm
You'd think, if you want to run a post-war Third World country, you'd have a little beef supporting you?
Yeah right. He's only been at it for 30 odd years.

Are you a new arrival to Cambodia? :facepalm:
I was born at night, but definitely not last night.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

SmartAston Martin wrote:
I think the silence may be not so much fear as support. Some people I'm sure didn't care for that dissenting voice.
That's because like him or not, he represents stability in the kingdom and general region.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 pm
Trying to break down complex political topics with simple speech and using parallels on down home life for the masses of Cambodia? Kinda simplified. Like he's speaking to country farmers living in a wooden stilt house with a little TV and big rabbit ear antennas?

That has always been his skill, I'm amazed it took so long for some of you to notice.
Some of us know better than to rant on social media.......does not mean we don't understand. =@
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Apologies Mr Bingham. Not directed at you. I don't believe it is expedient for foreigners to make pointed statements on local politics of sprout off like Mr SAM.

The local population has the ability to track and locate posters and if selected for accommodation at Prey Sar or other location as necessary there is f++k all anyone can do to help.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

how do you think they ID all those Chinese deportees? there is a very sophisticated and world class surveillance unit.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Cambodians deserve HE.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

indeed. just as Australians deserve their PM and fnq has de lacies, entchs and katters.
all the young proletarians in my circle support CPP as they are afraid the opposition would immediately foment war with Vietnam.
conscription is not popular.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 pmTo average Westerners, he is definitely not your media-polished Trudeau, Trump, or Macron.
No ‘average westerner’ considers Trump media-polished, unless you include the lunatic asylum demographic.

And given what how the western media has been behaving for the last 5 years or more, I'd prefer anyone to somebody they praise.

One has to ask, if the west is so fantastic, why are its supporters not all living there?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic