State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by StroppyChops » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:25 pm

PhnomRon wrote:You should be more objective and skeptical of claims like that.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by vladimir » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Sailorman wrote:Good on you Australia, your politicians have more guts then the idiots we have running America.
If you really believe this, I feel sorry for you.

They simply follow Hitler and have very few morals or ethics.

Sometimes it takes more balls to be compassionate than to act like a dick.

Try and pay attention.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by StroppyChops » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Says the Saffer! :D Image
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:20 pm

bendix wrote:440 will not be resurrecting the thread for reasons I have outlined there.

Separately, when 440 first received the bare bones of the story 2 months ago, it looked like a very very interesting story, hence KIR's initial excitement. However, once the details had been fleshed out and the facts checked that position changed. There was a debate about whether we should run it or not, and I suggested - and KiR suprisingly agreed - that it wasn't a 440 story.

Don't let those facts - which the Gen knows to be true - get in the way of your obsession Stroppy.

For a missionary and no doubt genuinely devoted man of the faith, you do seem angry and bitter and quite quite unforgiving. Isn't it time we all moved on?
Then there was no phone call between the subject and KiR when the subject discovered KiR's intent with KiR claiming he had no idea what he meant and that no such planned article existed? I heard otherwise and am inclined to believe it.

Did I tell you the story about the time he stood behind me in Garage bar while screaming "You're a Twat, I'll ruin you!" at a 6 foot tall dude over my shoulder? This was about a week or so before he deleted me and called me worthless. (I thought it was only the Palestinians who used human shields...)

Maral of the story here is, he's great about talking big shit... but when confronted he piddles in his panties and heads for the hills.

I respect your decision to keep it squashed... it's, as you say, not really a newsworthy thing. But don't go puffing KiR up to be the hero in that decision when he wanted nothing more than to get something juicy out there for one of his witch hunts but got backed down on it by the person he was to be reporting on.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by StroppyChops » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:I respect your decision to keep it squashed... it's, as you say, not really a newsworthy thing. But don't go puffing KiR up to be the hero in that decision when he wanted nothing more than to get something juicy out there for one of his witch hunts but got backed down on it by the person he was to be reporting on.
Exactly. In spades.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
HotRecruiter
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:38 am
Reputation: 0

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by HotRecruiter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 pm

"Let's run him out of town! Grab the torches, the tar, and the feathers!"

Oh, wait, that's KiR's words ...

Wonder what karma he's brought upon himself?

And I wonder how irritated Playboy was with his behavior?

And how well Scobie is taking KiR's last-minute sabotage...
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 pm
Reputation: 1
United States of America

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by 4000islandsguy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:42 am

General Mackevili wrote:Just to clarify a bit...

This might be a touchy subject on K440 for good reason, so cut the new owners a bit of slack.

Basically, as you might know, now that we have CEO, we are randomly fed info/stories/tips about Cambodia related stuff from fellow members or random people. We look into it all, and some we decide to publish and some we decide is better left untouched. Keep 'em coming!

A couple months ago KiR mentioned an "expose sure to rock the expat community."

We got wind of it, looked into it ourselves and decided it was much ado about nothing, which is what most expats seem to also think about it now. Based on everything we learned about KiR's version, it appeared to be nothing but an irresponsible smear piece with the "intent" of being a character assassination of the guy for no other reason than to drive traffic to Khmer440.

We contacted the dude about the story that was about to be published about him, and he contacted the courts to clear it up, which is done now. Simple as that.

It is quite obvious that most people weren't in favour of running the version KiR was working on, and it apparently got canned. He probably wasn't very happy with us either, but I think we did the right thing. I believe he even banned/deleted a couple K440 posters that merely asked about the supposed expose.

Personally, I'm glad a regular news channel got a hold of it rather than K440 publishing a typical smear piece on an expat just to get some more traffic. Much ado about nothing.

And as a funny aside, we even had a few people approach us and ask us if we thought the expose was about them, and then they proceeded to tell us their own sketchy story of what they thought it might be about, LoL! I would fathom a guess that no less than 10 expats were packed and ready to leave at a moment's notice when Khmer440's expose dropped, and at least 5 left already just to be safe, LoL!

Anyways, that's the basics. Hope that helps clear things up a bit and justifies the new owners' reasons for distancing themselves from this story now.

So, no big conspiracy. We think KiR did the right thing by deciding not to run with it, and I would hope it explains why even the new owners would rather not touch it at all.
Things are becoming clearer now. 440 is owned by the guy and covers up the story and CEO also is in on the same conspiracy because GM loves pizza. One hand washes the other it seems.

On a more serious note about the American judicial system, I have had my own experiences myself. Started when I was around 13 years old, got caught with around 6 roaches in my pocket. Normally as an adult you would pay a fine if that anymore. So I was arrested and went to court the next day. My appointed attorney told me that I would be given 6 months when I asked what would happen if I plead innocent. Being incarcerated as a kid and hearing that you won't get out carries a bit of weight.

If I plead guilty 6 months probation and get out of jail today card was the reward. This is a little wrong for a few reasons. The punishment for making a declaration of innocence basically exceeded the penalty for being guilty. It is a basic level of extortion to induce a plea. Then we have the whole conundrum of the probation, drug rehab, prison industry.

OD is right that probation is certainly a ticket to further problems. So matters later for me that had occurred turned into more severe offenses that were punishable by violations. They sent me to residential treatment homes, group homes, and drug rehab that I lied to get into because you were allowed to smoke.

Eventually after around three years of running away and being round up for really no great reason I was referred to a residential group home for "troubled youth". No criminal charges were filed to be committed in this way. I ran away a few times and was always caught and returned. The term of what I can only consider incarceration although legally speaking was considered something more like custodial care was one year.

So I broke into my Mother's house and stole her car keys when I knew she was away on a trip. Managed to drive 150 miles to the Twin cities and eventually got rounded up again. The sentence I received for two felonies earned me 3 months in detention. So I would have done a year without committing any real crime but after committing a few felonies came out of it after 3 months. So basically the detention centers and state are farming out beds to make way for new customers.

It was worse to be a girl in this system as they typically offend less often and there are more available beds in segregated institutions for youthful offenders. The 3 months I got would have been around 9 months if you were a girl, at least during that period of time.


TLDR Justice is just a business and troubled child gets one year and convicted felons get 3 months. It is very much about available bed space and budgetary constraints when it comes to these matters, but fry the pizza guy anyway!
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 am

4000islandsguy wrote:The punishment for making a declaration of innocence basically exceeded the penalty for being guilty. It is a basic level of extortion to induce a plea.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

This works particularly well in young adults who are uninitiated in the ways of the courts. Effectively the courts will punish you for tying up court time by selfishly wanting to argue your innocence. Court-appointed defence knows this and is too underpaid and underpowered to ever seriously consider challenging the state on low profile matters.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:29 am

StroppyChops wrote:
4000islandsguy wrote:The punishment for making a declaration of innocence basically exceeded the penalty for being guilty. It is a basic level of extortion to induce a plea.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

This works particularly well in young adults who are uninitiated in the ways of the courts. Effectively the courts will punish you for tying up court time by selfishly wanting to argue your innocence. Court-appointed defence knows this and is too underpaid and underpowered to ever seriously consider challenging the state on low profile matters.
It's also the way KiR's 440 worked... if you suggested someone was innocent or had been overcharged/etc you were an apologist and ostracised... sometimes even being suspect of being cut of the same accused cloth.
User avatar
0to60
Expatriate
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:41 pm
Reputation: 0
Cambodia

Re: State resolves case against Cambodian pizzeria owner

Post by 0to60 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:58 am

4000islandsguy wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:Just to clarify a bit...

This might be a touchy subject on K440 for good reason, so cut the new owners a bit of slack.

Basically, as you might know, now that we have CEO, we are randomly fed info/stories/tips about Cambodia related stuff from fellow members or random people. We look into it all, and some we decide to publish and some we decide is better left untouched. Keep 'em coming!

A couple months ago KiR mentioned an "expose sure to rock the expat community."

We got wind of it, looked into it ourselves and decided it was much ado about nothing, which is what most expats seem to also think about it now. Based on everything we learned about KiR's version, it appeared to be nothing but an irresponsible smear piece with the "intent" of being a character assassination of the guy for no other reason than to drive traffic to Khmer440.

We contacted the dude about the story that was about to be published about him, and he contacted the courts to clear it up, which is done now. Simple as that.

It is quite obvious that most people weren't in favour of running the version KiR was working on, and it apparently got canned. He probably wasn't very happy with us either, but I think we did the right thing. I believe he even banned/deleted a couple K440 posters that merely asked about the supposed expose.

Personally, I'm glad a regular news channel got a hold of it rather than K440 publishing a typical smear piece on an expat just to get some more traffic. Much ado about nothing.

And as a funny aside, we even had a few people approach us and ask us if we thought the expose was about them, and then they proceeded to tell us their own sketchy story of what they thought it might be about, LoL! I would fathom a guess that no less than 10 expats were packed and ready to leave at a moment's notice when Khmer440's expose dropped, and at least 5 left already just to be safe, LoL!

Anyways, that's the basics. Hope that helps clear things up a bit and justifies the new owners' reasons for distancing themselves from this story now.

So, no big conspiracy. We think KiR did the right thing by deciding not to run with it, and I would hope it explains why even the new owners would rather not touch it at all.
Things are becoming clearer now. 440 is owned by the guy and covers up the story and CEO also is in on the same conspiracy because GM loves pizza. One hand washes the other it seems.

On a more serious note about the American judicial system, I have had my own experiences myself. Started when I was around 13 years old, got caught with around 6 roaches in my pocket. Normally as an adult you would pay a fine if that anymore. So I was arrested and went to court the next day. My appointed attorney told me that I would be given 6 months when I asked what would happen if I plead innocent. Being incarcerated as a kid and hearing that you won't get out carries a bit of weight.

If I plead guilty 6 months probation and get out of jail today card was the reward. This is a little wrong for a few reasons. The punishment for making a declaration of innocence basically exceeded the penalty for being guilty. It is a basic level of extortion to induce a plea. Then we have the whole conundrum of the probation, drug rehab, prison industry.

OD is right that probation is certainly a ticket to further problems. So matters later for me that had occurred turned into more severe offenses that were punishable by violations. They sent me to residential treatment homes, group homes, and drug rehab that I lied to get into because you were allowed to smoke.

Eventually after around three years of running away and being round up for really no great reason I was referred to a residential group home for "troubled youth". No criminal charges were filed to be committed in this way. I ran away a few times and was always caught and returned. The term of what I can only consider incarceration although legally speaking was considered something more like custodial care was one year.

So I broke into my Mother's house and stole her car keys when I knew she was away on a trip. Managed to drive 150 miles to the Twin cities and eventually got rounded up again. The sentence I received for two felonies earned me 3 months in detention. So I would have done a year without committing any real crime but after committing a few felonies came out of it after 3 months. So basically the detention centers and state are farming out beds to make way for new customers.

It was worse to be a girl in this system as they typically offend less often and there are more available beds in segregated institutions for youthful offenders. The 3 months I got would have been around 9 months if you were a girl, at least during that period of time.


TLDR Justice is just a business and troubled child gets one year and convicted felons get 3 months. It is very much about available bed space and budgetary constraints when it comes to these matters, but fry the pizza guy anyway!
Sounds like my teenage years. 13-18, reform school, halfway house , boys ranch ,foster homes, probation, run away, hitch hike all over the US, get caught, run away again and so on. Feel ya. Hitching around the country was pretty fun though, lots of adventures. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post