Sihanoukville Demolition and Devlopment

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sihanoukville Demolition and Devlopment

Post by Eros »

OrangeDragon wrote:The road to PP has been being expanded steadily. Last time I drove it there were 2 lanes each way for about 50% of it, and construction being done on the rest.

If I were to guess, I'd estimate a full 4 lane highway by the end of 2014.

(though they really need to go through where the markets are on the way and start fining people setting up their stalls on the traffic lanes. or just approve driving over them.)
I just did the drive down and back on the weekend.

All up There are 2 lanes (each way) for about 5% of the journey... maybe less. And road widening construction going on for about another 5% currently. Even when there are 4 lanes you get assholes driving in the middle of the two lanes blocking you from passing!!! :fool:

At this rate they will have a 4 lane highway in 2025. Then the road will be full of potholes the following year.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

My guess is that it's halfway between OD's & Eros' figures & timeline. Back up to PP Sat. & back down Sun. I'll pay attention.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i head back day after tomorrow... i'll get a mapping app on my phone and mark out the 4 lane segments.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

meh- the roads are good enough for tanks and APC coming down from china
a lot of the rural roads are built with chinese money.
they just pour the hot top onto a bit of rolled gravel.
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Eros »

Not hard to work out, roughly a 3 hour journey, roughly 15 mins total of interrupted double lanes, the longest being around that Kampong Speu area or whatever its called.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Looks like more parking for the tuk-tuk/motor mafia. With all the new hotels and business's on that street, where is the sewage going? It just doesn't disappear by magic. (hint: liquid/semi-liquid flows downhill.) It kind of reminds me of the picture of a two story "outhouse."
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

straight into the water table for sure
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

The worst I've seen was Khmer New Years down by Khin's Shack at the E end of Ochetuel. The public toilets were way over taxed and the parking lots were giant lakes of piss & shit. We wanted to get some scallops & clams at Khin's, but we lost our appetites for some reason.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the usn seabees built some treatment lagoons but nothing goes in there i hear.
wonder what the big hotels do?
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

frank lee bent wrote:the usn seabees built some treatment lagoons but nothing goes in there i hear.
wonder what the big hotels do?
I've seen them. They're 1/2 way to Otres. Don't know if they're operational.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic