SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2280
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 274
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by cptrelentless » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 107

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by Luigi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:58 am

cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2280
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 274
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by cptrelentless » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Luigi wrote:
cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
Either get pregnant or pretend you did by borrowing someone else's scan, have that shit aborted because you don't want it dragging you down, tell them you're moving out to the village to be looked after by the family and there's no reception. At some point tell them it died. About seven or eight months later, usually. The more of a soft touch they are the more cash you get, and you can string out some further sympathy at the end if you are particularly skilled in manipulation. I think she's freezing her ass off in Finland now, some other sucker married her. The other trick, by a different person, is wait until your partner has bought a house and they're asleep. Take a thumb print, make sure you clean the thumb afterwards, noob, and hock that bad boy for some gambling dollars. This is your shit or bust play, though.
[email protected]
Tourist
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm

cptrelentless wrote:
Luigi wrote:
cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
Either get pregnant or pretend you did by borrowing someone else's scan, have that shit aborted because you don't want it dragging you down, tell them you're moving out to the village to be looked after by the family and there's no reception. At some point tell them it died. About seven or eight months later, usually. The more of a soft touch they are the more cash you get, and you can string out some further sympathy at the end if you are particularly skilled in manipulation. I think she's freezing her ass off in Finland now, some other sucker married her. The other trick, by a different person, is wait until your partner has bought a house and they're asleep. Take a thumb print, make sure you clean the thumb afterwards, noob, and hock that bad boy for some gambling dollars. This is your shit or bust play, though.
Funny how the first one actually works and I have seen it in action many times, third worlders really take kindness for weakness if it's cashing out.

no soul what so ever.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 7669
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 922
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by phuketrichard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm

if it aint broke... why fix it
ie there are always new tourists everyday that dont know the scam, so it will continue to be used,

same as the Filipino card scams
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 107

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by Luigi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm

cptrelentless wrote:
Luigi wrote:
cptrelentless wrote:I don't wish to sound like a bitter old misogynist expat, here we go anyhow, but she's missing a trick. For the cost a few sim cards and burner phones you can earn 50k+ p/a tax free. My wife's "friend" Taing must have been raking in 4-5k a month US$, plus freelance work on top. This scam nets, what, 15-20 bucks a day. Surely that is feminist empowerment?
I would like to meet you're wife's friend Taing. Or perhaps you can tell us directly how that scam works.
Either get pregnant or pretend you did by borrowing someone else's scan, have that shit aborted because you don't want it dragging you down, tell them you're moving out to the village to be looked after by the family and there's no reception. At some point tell them it died. About seven or eight months later, usually. The more of a soft touch they are the more cash you get, and you can string out some further sympathy at the end if you are particularly skilled in manipulation. I think she's freezing her ass off in Finland now, some other sucker married her. The other trick, by a different person, is wait until your partner has bought a house and they're asleep. Take a thumb print, make sure you clean the thumb afterwards, noob, and hock that bad boy for some gambling dollars. This is your shit or bust play, though.
WOW! Just fukin WOW! And I was naive enough to think I had been around the block once or twice. Crime, scams, cons have never been my forte. I'm too stupid, lousy liar & I have a conscience for reasons I do not know. I thought having been through three world wars & watching goats fukin in the Chetumal market would prepare me for S.E.A. WOW! :popcorn:
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 7669
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 922
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by phuketrichard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm

3 world wars>

when was the third???
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 3795
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 532
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by hanno » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm

phuketrichard wrote:if it aint broke... why fix it
ie there are always new tourists everyday that dont know the scam, so it will continue to be used,

same as the Filipino card scams
Actually, the golden days for the milk scammers are long gone. Very few people fall for it these days and many guesthouses and hotels warn their guests about it. Police pushed them out for a few months but they seem to have good connections.
Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 107

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by Luigi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 pm

phuketrichard wrote:3 world wars>

when was the third???
If you gotta ask you weren't there.
User avatar
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm
Reputation: 377
Australia

Re: SIEM REAP: milk powder scam is still working...

Post by rozzieoz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:13 pm

boozyoldman wrote:The HUY MENG MINIMART is the name of the establishment in on the scam.

A picket line of yappy feminists on the sidewalk
in front of this establishment for a few hours every evening would see the scam ended.
I'm probably going to regret asking this but why is this a job for feminists in particular?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post