Police Raid House of Surrogate Mothers for Chinese Gang; 40 Arrested in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police Raid House of Surrogate Mothers for Chinese Gang; 40 Arrested in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 21, 2018
Phnom Penh: On the evening of 21 June 2018, police from the Department of Human Trafficking and Protection of Minors led a raid on a house full of pregnant women who are serving as surrogate mothers.
A total of 40 people were detained by police including 36 pregnant women, 2 Khmer women, and also two children. A Chinese man, unofficially named as Liu Quang, who appears to be the mastermind behind the surrogacy operation, was also arrested.

The police confiscated 2 cars, 1 motorbike and took all members of the household down to the Department of Human Trafficking and Protection of Minors for further investigation into the case.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Police Raid House Full of Surrogate Mothers; 40 Arrested

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Thirty six pregnant? That's nothing more than a human puppy farm.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police Raid House Full of Surrogate Mothers; 40 Arrested in Cambodia

Cambodia: 33 pregnant women found in raid on child surrogacy ring
Police say a Chinese manager appears to be the mastermind behind an illegal “rent a womb” operation at two Phnom Penh apartments
Sat 23 Jun 2018 08.16 BST
Thirty-three pregnant Cambodian women who were carrying babies on behalf of Chinese clients have been discovered during a raid on an illegal commercial surrogacy operation, police said on Saturday.

Police arrested the group of pregnant surrogates and five alleged ringleaders in the Phnom Penh raid two days ago in the latest police crackdown on illegal child surrogacy.

Phnom Penh anti-trafficking police chief Keo Thea said one of the five, a Chinese national, appeared to be the mastermind behind the “rent a womb” operation run out of a villa in the capital’s Russey Keo district.

He said police seized passports and other documents and the five would be sent to court on Sunday to be charged under Cambodia’s anti-trafficking laws.

“They are carrying babies for Chinese nationals,” he said, adding that each woman was promised $10,000 for the service.

The case is the second of its kind in Cambodia and the first series of arrests since Australian nurse Tammy Davis-Charles was sentenced to 18 months behind bars, along with two Cambodian colleagues.

One anti-trafficking official, who asked not to be named , confirmed local reports that the Chinese national was named Liu Quang.

The 33 women were housed at the villa and were at various stages of pregnancy, he said. They had been connected to the business through brokers and were sourced from villages in Kandal, Prey Veng and Kampot provinces.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ogacy-ring
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Firefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Police Raid House of Surrogate Mothers for Chinese Gang; 40 Arrested in Cambodia

Post by Firefly »

What going to happen to the sprogs?!
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' Charles Bukowski
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Police Raid House of Surrogate Mothers for Chinese Gang; 40 Arrested in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 am What going to happen to the sprogs?!
Nobody knows. Maybe there will be a financial agreement.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thirty-three pregnant Cambodian women discovered in surrogacy raid
Reuters | Jun 23, 2018 12:20AM ET
PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Thirty-three pregnant Cambodian women who were carrying babies on behalf of Chinese clients have been discovered during a raid on an illegal commercial surrogacy operation, police said on Saturday.

Five people, including a Chinese manager, were arrested following raids at two apartments in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh, police said.

Cambodia had been a popular international destination for infertile couples looking to have babies through commercial surrogacy even though it is was made illegal in 2016.

Keo Thea, director of Phnom Penh's anti-trafficking office, told Reuters on Saturday that five people, including four Cambodian women and the male Chinese manager, had been detained during a police raid on Thursday.

"Our authorities have charged them with human trafficking and being intermediaries in surrogacy," Keo Thea said.

The pregnant women would not face charges at the moment, he said.

"They are carrying babies for Chinese nationals," he said, adding that each woman was promised $10,000 for the service.

Once a woman becomes pregnant she receives $500. When the baby is delivered the terms of her agreement are that she will be paid $300 a month until the full $10,000 is paid off, Keo Thea said.

Keo Thea said the surrogacy operation had already provided about 20 babies to clients in China.
https://m.investing.com/news/world-news ... ?ampMode=1

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

People want to have babies but they can't so they turn to surrogacy - no blame in that.
How is this trafficking? Fucking pigs probably just wanted a piece of the action.

My problem is just the opposite; I suffer from excessive virility. Back in the day, if I even looked at a woman hard enough, she'd get pregnant. I have 7 kids, 6 of whom survived. I had my first in my 20s and my latest, a fat beautiful healthy boy, at 57 y/o.

My only regret is none of wives had any money and my dad always told me, it's just as easy to love a rich woman as a poor woman.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

How are the women impregnated? AI or au natural? That would be payments of $300/month for almost 3 years. They trust that the Chinese will continue to pay? They got the baby, why wouldn't they pay in full at that time? Warranty?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AmericanSteve wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm People want to have babies but they can't so they turn to surrogacy - no blame in that.
How is this trafficking? Fucking pigs probably just wanted a piece of the action.
Surrogacy is illegal in Cambodia. According to the law, surrogacy is the same as selling your baby = human trafficking.

There is an Australian who is still in jail (AFAIK) for running a surrogacy business here : newsworthy/australian-nurse-arrested-un ... cy%20tammy

If it is legal in China, why do they come to Cambodia ?
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

36 pregnant women! Word on the street is it's the same father. Jamie someone, I didn't catch the last name.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic