Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:30 pm

John Bingham wrote:
According to the Khmer Times, prices of such products like masks, gloves, hand sanitisers and drugs skyrocket due to novel coronavirus fears.
I've seen hand sanitizer, gloves and masks on sale in loads of places and haven't noticed any huge prices. I've bought pharmaceuticals recently too and the price was normal.
Prices have definitely gone up. Around double for hand sanitizer, same for masks but now that the PM ordered it, mask prices have gone back down.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Kammekor wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 pm
rexwell wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:27 pm
Quito is cooler than PP because it is above 9000 feet. Where the bodies are stacking up is at Guayaquil which is about 4 feet above sea level. It gets warm there too, Currently 27C but 32C is average for this time of year and 37C is a record high for March\April. Similar to Cambodia.
No, not similar. Not even the same group (Guayaquil: dry, Phnom Penh: tropical) of climates. Please see for yourself.

Guayaquil

Phnom Penh
True. I didn't take into account the rainfall. It's been very wet in Guayaquil since the virus has been out of China. I wonder if high rainfall makes a difference to the contagiousness of the virus.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm

rexwell wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 pm

True. I didn't take into account the rainfall. It's been very wet in Guayaquil since the virus has been out of China. I wonder if high rainfall makes a difference to the contagiousness of the virus.
There's two main differences between Phnom Penh and Guayaquil in this time of year:

1. The rainy season (and thus the amount of sunlight (UVA and UVB) during certain times of the year) is ending in Guayaquil but has to start in Phnom Penh.
2. The temperature, the average year temp. is over 2 degrees C higher in Phnom Penh. The difference is even larger at the end of Phnom Penh's dry season. No moderation of large ocean nearby (which Guayaquil has).

Wheather or not this effects the virus I don't know, but it seems to. I don;t see piles of dead bodies in Phnom Penh (yet). Maybe the tables will turn in May?
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Is it because hot, sunny, and dry climates seem to have the lowest cases of transmission and cold, lo UV and wet climates have the worst or is it because Cambodia is special? I have been saying for months, wait til the end of the month and we'll see. Still luckily nothing yet. Of course, Cambodia doesn't have 5G!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 pm

rexwell wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:14 pm
Is it because hot, sunny, and dry climates seem to have the lowest cases of transmission and cold, lo UV and wet climates have the worst or is it because Cambodia is special? I have been saying for months, wait til the end of the month and we'll see. Still luckily nothing yet. Of course, Cambodia doesn't have 5G!

Is that another new virus ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Duncan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 pm
rexwell wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Is that another new virus ?

The theory that some conspirators share is that viruses are transmitted over 5G network. Also, 5G signals make our immune system weaken therefore all the covid-19 infectors, See flatearthers....crazyfu...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 pm

There is still no data that says this will be seasonal( it hasn't been around long enough). Some coronaviruses are and some are not.
Conscience can be a terrible thing. So I hear. Not if you're something like me, of course. I don't give a fuck. Iain M Banks
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:25 pm

Lots more people out of work...

Cambodia to Close Massage and Spa Nationwide to Fight Covid-19
07/04/20 21:44
Phnom Penh (FN), Apr. 7 – Cambodia announced to close all massages and spas nationwide with immediate effect to fight Covid-19, according to the Ministry of Tourism’s letter dated 7 April 2020 addressed to governors and heads of tourism departments nationwide.

As of 7 April 2020, Cambodia has confirmed 115 cases of Covid-19 so far; 58 recovered in total.
=FRESH NEWS
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 am

To those on the ground

are ktv's still open
are the bars on 108,130, 136 and elsewhere, still open
do expats still frequent these places, ( as there must not be any tourists there now) ?
Still plenty of restaurants open
Supermarkets stocked ( Aeon,etc)

Just wondering how it is there nowadays
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:12 am

dont now about ktv hate karaoke

some bars still open but discretely

supermarkets stocked but was at makro last week and some items sold out, tinned stuff
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic