Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
atst
Expatriate
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Reputation: 1244
New Zealand

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by atst »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm Singapore took all the street sellers and concentrated them into courts and plazas. Maybe that’s next for Sihanoukville?

It would help if the government actually built these places and helped all the street sellers relocate there.
Didn't they take away the main market where locals used to have shops and restaurants and locals shopped
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
Black night is falling, oh I hate to be alone.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am
Reputation: 131

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by rogerrabbit »

atst wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm Singapore took all the street sellers and concentrated them into courts and plazas. Maybe that’s next for Sihanoukville?

It would help if the government actually built these places and helped all the street sellers relocate there.
Didn't they take away the main market where locals used to have shops and restaurants and locals shopped
No they didn't take it away.

Singapore style hawker centers would solve many problems (traffic, trash and still vendors would have place to sell their food). But unfortunately I don't see local gov. doing these as it's much more profitable to build tower building.
User avatar
atst
Expatriate
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Reputation: 1244
New Zealand

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by atst »

rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 pm
atst wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm Singapore took all the street sellers and concentrated them into courts and plazas. Maybe that’s next for Sihanoukville?

It would help if the government actually built these places and helped all the street sellers relocate there.
Didn't they take away the main market where locals used to have shops and restaurants and locals shopped
No they didn't take it away.

Singapore style hawker centers would solve many problems (traffic, trash and still vendors would have place to sell their food). But unfortunately I don't see local gov. doing these as it's much more profitable to build tower building.
Last time I was there they were shutting it about 3 years ago the market was half closed and girl I know had her coffee shop closed on her, at least a few still operate then, good
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
Black night is falling, oh I hate to be alone.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 1:17 am
Reputation: 131

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by rogerrabbit »

atst wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:19 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 pm
atst wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm Singapore took all the street sellers and concentrated them into courts and plazas. Maybe that’s next for Sihanoukville?

It would help if the government actually built these places and helped all the street sellers relocate there.
Didn't they take away the main market where locals used to have shops and restaurants and locals shopped
No they didn't take it away.

Singapore style hawker centers would solve many problems (traffic, trash and still vendors would have place to sell their food). But unfortunately I don't see local gov. doing these as it's much more profitable to build tower building.
Last time I was there they were shutting it about 3 years ago the market was half closed and girl I know had her coffee shop closed on her, at least a few still operate then, good
If you mean Phsar Leu Market I think they did some renovation there few years ago but it is still open and locals selling their stuff in there like before. Few new similar local markets have been opened too in last 2 years.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 9211
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 4881
Burkina Faso

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by John Bingham »

I was at Psah Leu last week, it was the busiest part of the city I saw. The city is a shambles.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 43628
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2650
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Image
Cambodia News, Preah Sihanouk Province: Meanwhile, Preah Sihanouk Province is currently developing infrastructure after the Royal Government dropped a large budget for the construction of 34 roads with 100% concrete and drainage system.
Image
Then the next step is to prepare the installation of lights, tree planting, granite paving, rubber flooring, traffic mapping and security cameras to make the streets safe and easy for locals and national and international tourists who come to visit.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 am
Reputation: 161
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by jaynewcastle »

Then the next step is to prepare the installation of lights, tree planting, granite paving, rubber flooring, traffic mapping and security cameras to make the streets safe and easy for locals and national and Chinese tourists who come to visit. :)
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 2931
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 966

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by newkidontheblock »

The first Belt and Road country with the newly expanded social credit system.

Bye bye hooligans.

Hello model PRC Citizens. Meaning Chinese, Khmer, and Foreigner alike.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 43628
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2650
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville, 1 November 2020.
Image
Full house of tourists and locals on Occheuteal Beach in Sihanoukville today.
Image
Image
Image
Photos Huy Bunleng FB page
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Reputation: 138
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville is a Mess; Authorities React

Post by johnny lightning »

I don't know where these "tourists" are from (China?) but I don't see a single whitey in the lot. Most must be locals, that is local tourists from PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post