Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38047
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2166
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm

December 16, 2019
Garment workers protest following factory closure
Nearly 200 workers for Hong Xing garment factory in Meanchey district are protesting over unpaid wages and missing seniority benefits after the company shut down last week.

Hin Sokroeun, a worker, said the company on December 9 paid the workers $100 each for November and announced the factory’s closure.

Ms Sokroeun said workers are protesting because not only are they missing the rest of their November salaries, but also seniority benefits.

“On December 9, the company told workers there will be no more work, that these doors are now closed,” she said. “The workers have been sleeping in front of the factory because we are afraid the company will move their goods and machines without paying missing wages.”

Ms Sokroeun said the company told workers they would have new employers at the factory, but she has not heard anything new since.

“We have not seen our employers nor received new information,” Ms Sokroeun said. “This is why workers are guarding the factory day and night.”

Chin Sony, a legal official for Cambodia Workers Labour Federation Union, yesterday said Hong Xing belonged to a Chinese national. Mr Sony said his union has observed that the company did not pay the workers their wages and benefits.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50670344/g ... y-closure/
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Mishmash » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:55 am

My niece's factory in chom chao closed 2 weeks ago... on payday of course!! everyone went to work and the owner had run away.. she's working in another factory now - luckily.
User avatar
Arget
Expatriate
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am
Reputation: 1070
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:
Australia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Arget » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am

Has Fresh news complained that the EU threat or EBA is the reason people lost jobs and money yet?
Queef
Expatriate
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 pm
Reputation: 295
New Caledonia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Queef » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:42 am

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm
December 16, 2019
Garment workers protest following factory closure
Nearly 200 workers for Hong Xing garment factory in Meanchey district are protesting over unpaid wages and missing seniority benefits after the company shut down last week.

Hin Sokroeun, a worker, said the company on December 9 paid the workers $100 each for November and announced the factory’s closure.

Ms Sokroeun said workers are protesting because not only are they missing the rest of their November salaries, but also seniority benefits.

“On December 9, the company told workers there will be no more work, that these doors are now closed,” she said. “The workers have been sleeping in front of the factory because we are afraid the company will move their goods and machines without paying missing wages.”

Ms Sokroeun said the company told workers they would have new employers at the factory, but she has not heard anything new since.

“We have not seen our employers nor received new information,” Ms Sokroeun said. “This is why workers are guarding the factory day and night.”

Chin Sony, a legal official for Cambodia Workers Labour Federation Union, yesterday said Hong Xing belonged to a Chinese national. Mr Sony said his union has observed that the company did not pay the workers their wages and benefits.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50670344/g ... y-closure/
CEO, could you please keep us updated on garment factories closures (create a new thread or what not)?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am
Reputation: 162
Cambodia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by canucklhead » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Arget wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am
Has Fresh news complained that the EU threat or EBA is the reason people lost jobs and money yet?
Only the beginning. Though probably due more to US trade war with China.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am
Reputation: 1076
United States of America

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Anthony's Weiner » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm

canucklhead wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Arget wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am
Has Fresh news complained that the EU threat or EBA is the reason people lost jobs and money yet?
Only the beginning. Though probably due more to US trade war with China.
The case of Cambodia is a severe one because it would directly affect the lives of two million Cambodians who depend on the 750,000 workers in garment factories throughout the country. These workforces are pivotal for the country's economic health and revenue. Textile products are Cambodia's No.1 export to the EU, representing nearly 40% of the country's total exports -- worth around US$5.8 billion (175.33 billion baht) last year. With the EBA sanctions, Cambodia could suffer a major man-made humanitarian crisis.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... an-eu-ties
The European Union (EU) represents the largest market for Cambodian garment exports, accounting for approximately 40 percent of the total manufacturing, followed by the United States ( 30 percent), Canada (9 percent), and Japan (4 percent).

With 83% of the textile industries exports going to the EU, the USA, Canada and Japan I don t think that Trump's spat with China has anything to do with it. Trump can be given credit for the US-China trade war being cited by employers as one of the major reasons for their firing many of the 53,480 American employees let go in August though.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am
Reputation: 162
Cambodia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by canucklhead » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm

The factories are mostly owned by chinese. When the orders dry up the subcontractors will be shuttered.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am
Reputation: 1076
United States of America

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Anthony's Weiner » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:44 pm

canucklhead wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm
The factories are mostly owned by chinese. When the orders dry up the subcontractors will be shuttered.
Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysian and South Korean owned firms are untariffed. Cambodian workers that work for Chinese owned firms are what Trump would refer to as collateral damage, that is unintended victims of his policy. Much like the 24% surge in American farm bancrupties in Sept or the increase in suicides amongst farmers this past year. The USA has collected 63 billion dollars in tariffs on Chinese goods as of June this year and has returned 28 billion primarily to large agricultural businesses. The tariffs are paid by American consumers not the Chinese exporter as he likes to suggest and really is nothing more than a tax on all Americans to subsidize the wealthy.

"Highlighting an uneven distribution of the bailout, which was designed to help offset effects of the U.S.-China trade war, the Environmental Working Group said the top 1% of aid recipients received an average of more than $180,000 while the bottom 80% were paid less than $5,000 in aid." https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1UP28K
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8151
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2336
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by Duncan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:30 pm

canucklhead wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Arget wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 am
Has Fresh news complained that the EU threat or EBA is the reason people lost jobs and money yet?
Only the beginning. Though probably due more to US trade war with China.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cambodia pays it's workers in USA $ and is the main currency used here. With the USA $ being so strong there is no way Cambodia can devalue the currency used,,, unlike other countries which can devalue their currency to make their products cheaper when they sell it overseas.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 38047
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2166
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Hong Xing Factory Closes Leaving Unpaid Workers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am

UPDATE: More than one month after the Hong Xing Garment Factory closed its doors and the owner fled to China, workers are still sleeping in front of the factory, protesting, and demanding to be paid their wages in full.

January 14, 2020
District authorities pledge to help workers seeking unpaid wages
Authorities in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district yesterday pledged to help find a solution for workers of Hong Xing garment factory who have been protesting over unpaid wages and missing seniority benefits after the company shut down last month.

Nearly 200 workers of the factory in Stung Meanchey commune have been protesting since December 9 after their employer fled without paying them their dues.

District deputy governor Dy Rath Khemrun yesterday intervened and said he had received a petition by the workers and pledged to find a solution soon.

He said that the district administration will seek a meeting with Labour Ministry officials and the company management to find a solution.

“We will have meeting with labour officials and the company management soon to find a solution for the workers,” he said. “We suggest the workers do not worry and give us time to find solutions.”

Mr Rath Khemrun said that the district authorities have previously found solutions in many similar cases involving garment workers.
“We suggest that the workers find other jobs to support their livelihoods while waiting for a solution,” he added.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50679404/d ... paid-wages
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post