11 Foreigners Obtain Cambodian Nationality Before the Supreme Court

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

11 Foreigners Obtain Cambodian Nationality Before the Supreme Court

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Cambodia Breaking News (Phnom Penh): On July 8, 2019, Dr. Chiev Keng, the president of the oath and vice-president of the Supreme Court, coordinated the oath ceremony for 11 foreigners to obtain Cambodian nationality.

Lieutenant Auk Samnang, deputy director of nationality department of Ministry of Interior, confirmed that 11 foreigners became Cambodian following the principles and procedures of nationality law, following articles 11 and article 27 of the law on nationality for all foreigners.
To obtain Cambodian nationality through royal decree, the foreigners must make a vow in front of the Supreme Court. In exchange, they then become citizens of Cambodia.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 11 Foreigners Obtain Cambodian Nationality Before the Supreme Court

Post by Brody » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:11 pm

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 pm
the foreigners must make a vow in front of the Supreme Court. In exchange, they then become citizens of Cambodia.
Wow, that's all?

I wonder how many are Chinese? What is the vow, to immediately commence buying up land at extortionate prices?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Haha, no, that's not all that is required, they have to go through the application process. I guarantee all of these received their Citizenship via investment or donation.

By the looks of it, they're all Chinese. Every time I've been to the Department of Identification it is full of Chinese, all being handled by a Chinese speaking Khmer fixer.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Two are Malaysian Chinese. (I just know. Ok!)
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:14 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Haha, no, that's not all that is required, they have to go through the application process. I guarantee all of these received their Citizenship via investment or donation.

By the looks of it, they're all Chinese. Every time I've been to the Department of Identification it is full of Chinese, all being handled by a Chinese speaking Khmer fixer.
AFAIK it's USD300,000 for the donation. The fixer gets $180,000.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

More like $1 mill’.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic