Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11472
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2856
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 pm

as on who has had Dengue TWICE now and other if they have had it will really feel this is a hell of a break thru.
here may be hope. French company Sanofi Pasteur is developing a vaccine that may be available as soon as late next year.

The vaccine is effective against all four dengue virus serotypes, said Eric Mansion, Managing Director of Sanofi Pasteur’s Thailand-Myanmar-Laos division.

The first of two pivotal Phase III efficacy studies of the vaccine showed a 56 per cent decrease of dengue cases in 31,000 volunteers throughout Southeast Asia.

“The Phase III clinical study was conducted in Asia amongst children aged 2 to 14 years from dengue endemic areas of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam,” Mr Mansion explained.

“For the first time in a Phase III study, the vaccine demonstrated protection against dengue in Asian children.” - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/special-re ... ad-image-0
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:43 pm

I'd pay for that once it was approved by a western nation.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by vladimir » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 am

StroppyChops wrote:I'd pay for that once it was approved by a western nation.
Unlikely as very few western countries have dengue.

I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by StroppyChops » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 am
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by Born-Confused » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:47 pm

StroppyChops wrote:Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Ummm - Sanofi-Pasteur is at the centre of this trial - this company is probably the largest company in the world devoted to production of vaccines - you probably got some of these before you left for Cambodia.........
The company has centres in different parts of the world for the purpose of trialling their vaccines to tackle diseases where they are most prevalent. So given that dengue is most prevalent in SEA, then their R & D site in Chachoengsao Thailand makes alot of sense.
Vladmir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
That's probably coz you got a different serotype the second time. If you get another hit with a virus of the first, or now even the second....... then that could become a problem with hemorrhagic shock syndrome.
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by vladimir » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:40 pm

The doctor (at SOS, iirc) told me that you can't get the same type twice...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
User avatar
LTO
Expatriate
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:28 pm
Reputation: 7
Location: KH
Contact:

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by LTO » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 pm

vladimir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
My experience as well. Still taught me to be more careful about mosquito bite prevention.

Be good if there was a vaccine but I'll wait for the trial results before celebrating. I've seen too many 'near breakthroughs' on a malaria vaccines over the last three decades to get too excited yet.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by StroppyChops » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Born-Confused wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Ummm - Sanofi-Pasteur is at the centre of this trial - this company is probably the largest company in the world devoted to production of vaccines - you probably got some of these before you left for Cambodia.........
The company has centres in different parts of the world for the purpose of trialling their vaccines to tackle diseases where they are most prevalent. So given that dengue is most prevalent in SEA, then their R & D site in Chachoengsao Thailand makes alot of sense.
Vladmir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
That's probably coz you got a different serotype the second time. If you get another hit with a virus of the first, or now even the second....... then that could become a problem with hemorrhagic shock syndrome.
Just for clarity, you're second quote wasn't me. It's courteous to include a name is a later quote is someone other than the original quotee.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4266
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Reputation: 465
Korea North

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by kiwiincambodia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:59 pm

As another one who has been through it I hope this works.

I wouldn't wish dengue on my worst enemy.
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
User avatar
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 am
Reputation: 2
Australia

Re: Dodging the dengue fever bullet

Post by Born-Confused » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 am

StroppyChops wrote:
Born-Confused wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Sure, but the pharmaceutical companies that stand to benefit from producing those shots in the millions exist in western countries...
Ummm - Sanofi-Pasteur is at the centre of this trial - this company is probably the largest company in the world devoted to production of vaccines - you probably got some of these before you left for Cambodia.........
The company has centres in different parts of the world for the purpose of trialling their vaccines to tackle diseases where they are most prevalent. So given that dengue is most prevalent in SEA, then their R & D site in Chachoengsao Thailand makes alot of sense.
Vladmir wrote:I also have had dengue twice. 2nd time was a breeze.
That's probably coz you got a different serotype the second time. If you get another hit with a virus of the first, or now even the second....... then that could become a problem with hemorrhagic shock syndrome.
Just for clarity, you're second quote wasn't me. It's courteous to include a name is a later quote is someone other than the original quotee.
Is that not what I did? look again!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post