CALTEX Gas Stations have been Closed for a week?

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
General Mackevili
GONK
United States of America

CALTEX Gas Stations have been Closed for a week?

Postby General Mackevili » Tue May 20, 2014 12:13 am

Drove past one today, and noticed it was all boarded up and had what looked like police tape all around it.

Looked like one motodope decided he wanted to take some of the tape with him and he was busy rolling one long strand up.

Anyways, I just noticed that today, but apparently the strike has ended and they will be back tomorrow.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/s ... iews-wages" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caltex staff agreed to return to work following a weeklong strike over pay and benefits after being promised a $20 one-off bonus and a wage review on Friday.

Sar Mora, president of the Cambodia Food and Service Workers Federation, said that Caltex’s parent company, Chevron, had promised to assess over a two-month period how much it could pay employees.

About 300 workers in Phnom Penh joined the strike on May 12.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: CALTEX Gas Stations have been Closed for a week?

Postby Sir_Quality_U_Feel » Tue May 20, 2014 12:25 am

I love it " Chevron had promised to assess over a two-month period how much it could pay employees" Chevron is a handful of a few MNCs that make close to if not over 1 billion dollars USD per annual? I think they could peel off a few 100$ bills for a Cambodian worker's bonus.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Postby Soi Dog » Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 am

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I love it " Chevron had promised to assess over a two-month period how much it could pay employees" Chevron is a handful of a few MNCs that make close to if not over 1 billion dollars USD per annual? I think they could peel off a few 100$ bills for a Cambodian worker's bonus.
I'm guessing the local Khmer corporate partner has free reign to set the local pay scales for their distributorships. I doubt Chevron had anything to do with it. How much skill is required to pump gas? Every job is not meant to support a family of four. Those requiring more pay should pursue more in-demand skills.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Palestine

Postby vladimir » Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 am

Soi Dog wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:I love it " Chevron had promised to assess over a two-month period how much it could pay employees" Chevron is a handful of a few MNCs that make close to if not over 1 billion dollars USD per annual? I think they could peel off a few 100$ bills for a Cambodian worker's bonus.
I'm guessing the local Khmer corporate partner has free reign to set the local pay scales for their distributorships. I doubt Chevron had anything to do with it. How much skill is required to pump gas? Every job is not meant to support a family of four. Those requiring more pay should pursue more in-demand skills.
I agree, but what is the pay now?

If it's $65/month, that's not acceptable. Construction workers get close to $5/day (unskilled)
Oh, Carruthers, if you can hear me, wave your antennae.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Postby Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Tue May 20, 2014 7:24 am

Some unskilled construction workers make a bit more than that, but 5$/day works out to roughly 115$/month or so. However, you have to remember that it's physically harder work than pumping gas all day. Pretty much everywhere in the world, gas pumpers don't make much. Still, I'd be curious to know how much they make per month here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
GONK
United States of America

Postby General Mackevili » Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 am

Still closed today. WTF
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Looking for the best deals on hotels and guesthouses in Cambodia?

Book through Agoda:

Phnom Penh
Siem Reap
Sihanoukville
Kampot
Koh Rong
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Postby Felgerkarb » Tue May 20, 2014 11:11 am

The parent company does not set wages. Caltex pays a fee to distribute fuel using Chevron supplied fuel. Talk to the oknha on the Caltex Cambodia board about pay, not Chevron.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
chkwoot
Expatriate
United States of America

Postby chkwoot » Tue May 20, 2014 1:29 pm

A relative of my missus worked there for a few months last year. Got paid $80/mo but had to give a $20 kickback to the manager. He finally quit when the security guard stole some parts off his moto.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Postby Jaap N. » Tue May 20, 2014 1:43 pm

chkwoot wrote:A relative of my missus worked there for a few months last year. Got paid $80/mo but had to give a $20 kickback to the manager. He finally quit when the security guard stole some parts off his moto.
So he was payed a whopping $60 a month? Geez.
Last edited by Jaap N. on Wed May 21, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ali baba
Expatriate

Postby ali baba » Wed May 21, 2014 1:58 pm

I read an interview with a union leader saying that he usually targets firms with partial foreign ownership as they are more responsive to workers' demands. I can't find it online but I'm pretty sure it was in the local papers within the past week.

I was really tempted to drive through all that tape, fist pumping the air and shouting, "Victory!"
Scarier than malaria.

• Advertisement
Booking.com