Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by StroppyChops » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 9259
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 1216
Tokelau

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by Anchor Moy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm

StroppyChops wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm
I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
I don't think it will be applied to anyone anytime soon. IMO, for the moment this is just a declaration of intention.
You know how things work here. Just because it's announced, doesn't mean it will happen next week.

Not saying this won't ever happen, but in the KOW you announce the idea first, then think about the implications, then work out if it's doable.
Announcement: Barcodes are to be put on all vehicle licence plates so they are all traceable.
Implications: All vehicles will be registered and relayed to a central data base that all traffic policemen will be able to access.
That should be more than enough to go on with.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1015
Australia

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by StroppyChops » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm
I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
I don't think it will be applied to anyone anytime soon. IMO, for the moment this is just a declaration of intention.
You know how things work here. Just because it's announced, doesn't mean it will happen next week.

Not saying this won't ever happen, but in the KOW you announce the idea first, then think about the implications, then work out if it's doable.
Announcement: Barcodes are to be put on all vehicle licence plates so they are all traceable.
Implications: All vehicles will be registered and relayed to a central data base that all traffic policemen will be able to access.
That should be more than enough to go on with.
I think you're right. Give it another few years and they might start making headway with the new EOS categories.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 408
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by cptrelentless » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 am

They've got a database, for what it's worth. I renewed my tax with just the vehicle registration card, rather than a pile of paperwork. It might contain even 10% of vehicles on the road. If they do tax stops again next year maybe they'll get more registered. Aren't the Number plates in the US only state based? I seem to recall seeing stuff on TV about them not being able to check out of state plates. And, uh yeah, why not have unique strings of numbers and letters and then use that as a vehicle identifier? Even if your address is just village 3 and utterly useless for locating the owner without a general search

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 108

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by Luigi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:18 am

cptrelentless wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 am
They've got a database, for what it's worth. I renewed my tax with just the vehicle registration card, rather than a pile of paperwork. It might contain even 10% of vehicles on the road. If they do tax stops again next year maybe they'll get more registered. Aren't the Number plates in the US only state based? I seem to recall seeing stuff on TV about them not being able to check out of state plates. And, uh yeah, why not have unique strings of numbers and letters and then use that as a vehicle identifier? Even if your address is just village 3 and utterly useless for locating the owner without a general search

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
To the best of my knowledge that is true. But there is a caveat. Your DL reveals all. Even your podunk Iowa town cop has access to the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) . Just a few clicks & they have your entire law enforcement encounters since juvie hall. Even my jay walking ticket!

How this translates to law enforcement here is a no-brainer. It doesn't. Maybe someday they will be able to determine if you have an outstanding warrant or unpaid fine. I doubt most of us will be alive to see that happen. Just as well. I think the pay as you go plan actually works rather well. Cuts down paperwork. :popcorn:
one_dolla
Expatriate
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am
Reputation: 29

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by one_dolla » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Driving Licenses now come with much less visible info... but have a QR code ... which I scanned and it gave up more info about me
Luigi
Expatriate
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm
Reputation: 108

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by Luigi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:41 pm

one_dolla wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm
Driving Licenses now come with much less visible info... but have a QR code ... which I scanned and it gave up more info about me
DL from where?
one_dolla
Expatriate
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am
Reputation: 29

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by one_dolla » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:29 am

Cambodia
User avatar
mauser765
Expatriate
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:57 am
Reputation: 56
Albania

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by mauser765 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Can't wait for some guy to tape a code from a Mars Bar onto his plate and watch the befuddlement
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Arget
Expatriate
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am
Reputation: 692
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:
Australia

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by Arget » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Great idea but what about the gifted ones who don't use number plates?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bittermelon, Jack mehoff, la8rat, Longy, samrong01, SuperFlyingChinaman, YeP and 498 guests