197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 44453
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2751
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Image
Banteay Meanchey, Cambodia News: On November 19, 2019, Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police under General Ath Kemm cracked down on an online gambling operation situated in Poipet City, arresting over 200 men and women. Most of those arrested were Thai nationals.

Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police Chief Lieutenant General Ath Khem said that a joint force led by His Excellency General Keo Vanthan, Deputy Director General of Immigration, in cooperation with the Anti-Gambling Department inspected two locations for suspected online gambling in Poipet, Banteay Meanchey province.
Police arrested 209 foreigners and 12 Khmers:
- 183 Thai nationals

- 3 Indians,

- 2 Malaysians

- 2 Indonesians

- 2 Taiwanese

- 5 Laos,

- 12 Khmer, 6 females.
The commissioner added that after the inspection, the mixed forces allowed 12 Cambodian nationals, six of them women, to return to their homes. The 197 foreigners were detained and sent to Siem Reap eviction office for further proceedings.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 44453
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2751
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Image
Siem Reap: On 22 November 2019, Lt. Gen. Vathanak Mongkol, director of the Department of Investigation and Procedure, said that 197 foreigners, including 123 women, were arrested for working in an illegal online gambling operation, and were taken into custody by Poipet police officials.
Image
Image
Image
Image
The Poipet online gambling center was manned by more than 200 people. All the suspects have been sent to Siem Reap Immigration Headquarters to have their cases processed before they are deported back to their countries. Most of the suspects are Thai nationals who have already been sent back across the border to Thailand by bus.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Reputation: 145
Cambodia

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by Tarndog »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm Image
Banteay Meanchey, Cambodia News: On November 19, 2019, Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police under General Ath Kemm cracked down on an online gambling operation situated in Poipet City, arresting over 200 men and women. Most of those arrested were Thai nationals.

Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police Chief Lieutenant General Ath Khem said that a joint force led by His Excellency General Keo Vanthan, Deputy Director General of Immigration, in cooperation with the Anti-Gambling Department inspected two locations for suspected online gambling in Poipet, Banteay Meanchey province.
Police arrested 209 foreigners and 12 Khmers:
- 183 Thai nationals

- 3 Indians,

- 2 Malaysians

- 2 Indonesians

- 2 Taiwanese

- 5 Laos,

- 12 Khmer, 6 females.
The commissioner added that after the inspection, the mixed forces allowed 12 Cambodian nationals, six of them women, to return to their homes. The 197 foreigners were detained and sent to Siem Reap eviction office for further proceedings.
Why are only Khmer allowed to go free?
User avatar
deviantinfamous
Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Reputation: 4
Finland

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by deviantinfamous »

Hi, I used to work in this office. Those 5 Laotians? They're Filipinos.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 8150
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 2346
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by Duncan »

deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm Hi, I used to work in this office. Those 5 Laotians? They're Filipinos.

Wow, sounds like you got out of there just in time. Tell us some more .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
deviantinfamous
Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Reputation: 4
Finland

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by deviantinfamous »

Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:28 pm
deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm Hi, I used to work in this office. Those 5 Laotians? They're Filipinos.

Wow, sounds like you got out of there just in time. Tell us some more .
Yeah I resigned last September 2019 (worked there for 15 months) when I learned Cambodia decided not to renew the licenses of online casino operators in the country. I warned my fellow Filipinos to leave but they were confident that the company would take care of them. Now this...

They were able to say that because my (former) employer was fairly successful in dodging (and paying off) the Cambodian Immigration police. They conducted several raids back in July and August 2019. Our company provided us with another apartment to stay in while police raided our original staff housing. There was even a time we were asked to come in early at work (like 6am) because they will shut the steel barricades of the building so immigration police can't get in. No one was allowed in or out until 7pm later in the day.

This company is called LNW Asia, posing as a Real Estate company in Cambodia/Thailand. But it's just a front for an online casino - they own GCLUB. A popular online casino in Thailand.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 44453
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2751
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:28 pm
deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm Hi, I used to work in this office. Those 5 Laotians? They're Filipinos.

Wow, sounds like you got out of there just in time. Tell us some more .
Yeah I resigned last September 2019 (worked there for 15 months) when I learned Cambodia decided not to renew the licenses of online casino operators in the country. I warned my fellow Filipinos to leave but they were confident that the company would take care of them. Now this...

They were able to say that because my (former) employer was fairly successful in dodging (and paying off) the Cambodian Immigration police. They conducted several raids back in July and August 2019. Our company provided us with another apartment to stay in while police raided our original staff housing. There was even a time we were asked to come in early at work (like 6am) because they will shut the steel barricades of the building so immigration police can't get in. No one was allowed in or out until 7pm later in the day.

This company is called LNW Asia, posing as a Real Estate company in Cambodia/Thailand. But it's just a front for an online casino - they own GCLUB. A popular online casino in Thailand.
Would that have anything to do with this ?
DFA: Filipinos with employment agency problems in Cambodia to return home
INQUIRER.net / 07:00 PM November 23, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — Some Filipinos imprisoned in Siem Reap, Cambodia over legitimacy issues of their employment agency will finally return home, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddy Boy” Locsin Jr. said Saturday.

In a tweet on Friday night, Locsin reported about unidentified Filipinos who went to Siem Reap but got arrested because of problems on a job agency.

“Some Filipinos who went there for a job were arrested because the job agency had lost its license. I want them free and back home. ATN is on it but I want it diplomatic level. The [DFA-Office of Asian and Pacific Affairs] has been ordered to make it so,” Locsin said.

This afternoon, Locsin broke the news that Filipinos are on their way home, saying “it’s what we do best: we bring them back.”
Sought for comment from the Department of Foreign Affairs, the department said the government is still gathering details from “relevant offices.”
newsworthy/filipinos-arrested-siem-reap ... ml#p379495
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
User avatar
deviantinfamous
Tourist
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Reputation: 4
Finland

Re: 197 Foreigners Arrested in Poipet Online Gambling Operation

Post by deviantinfamous »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 pm
deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:28 pm
deviantinfamous wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm Hi, I used to work in this office. Those 5 Laotians? They're Filipinos.

Wow, sounds like you got out of there just in time. Tell us some more .
Yeah I resigned last September 2019 (worked there for 15 months) when I learned Cambodia decided not to renew the licenses of online casino operators in the country. I warned my fellow Filipinos to leave but they were confident that the company would take care of them. Now this...

They were able to say that because my (former) employer was fairly successful in dodging (and paying off) the Cambodian Immigration police. They conducted several raids back in July and August 2019. Our company provided us with another apartment to stay in while police raided our original staff housing. There was even a time we were asked to come in early at work (like 6am) because they will shut the steel barricades of the building so immigration police can't get in. No one was allowed in or out until 7pm later in the day.

This company is called LNW Asia, posing as a Real Estate company in Cambodia/Thailand. But it's just a front for an online casino - they own GCLUB. A popular online casino in Thailand.
Would that have anything to do with this ?
DFA: Filipinos with employment agency problems in Cambodia to return home
INQUIRER.net / 07:00 PM November 23, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — Some Filipinos imprisoned in Siem Reap, Cambodia over legitimacy issues of their employment agency will finally return home, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddy Boy” Locsin Jr. said Saturday.

In a tweet on Friday night, Locsin reported about unidentified Filipinos who went to Siem Reap but got arrested because of problems on a job agency.

“Some Filipinos who went there for a job were arrested because the job agency had lost its license. I want them free and back home. ATN is on it but I want it diplomatic level. The [DFA-Office of Asian and Pacific Affairs] has been ordered to make it so,” Locsin said.

This afternoon, Locsin broke the news that Filipinos are on their way home, saying “it’s what we do best: we bring them back.”
Sought for comment from the Department of Foreign Affairs, the department said the government is still gathering details from “relevant offices.”
newsworthy/filipinos-arrested-siem-reap ... ml#p379495
Yes. Those are related.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post