What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in sihanoukville, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
User avatar
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am
Reputation: 12
Nigeria

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Garry.Crabtree » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:45 am

I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.


Oh, don't tell the wife any of this…..
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
User avatar
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:26 am
Reputation: 2984
Location: Behind you.
Australia

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 am

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.


Oh, don't tell the wife any of this…..

That's kind of funny.

Remedy
Take your fancy French coffee machine to the cafe/coffee shop you enjoy drinking coffee at most and give it to them on the proviso you never have to pay for coffee there again.

You will be doing them and yourself a great service. Kind of the Kofe Anan of cafes.
The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.
Joker Poker
Expatriate
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Reputation: 126

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Joker Poker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 am

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.


Oh, don't tell the wife any of this…..
Yeah, I so get this!
User avatar
JBTrain
Expatriate
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm
Reputation: 4
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by JBTrain » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 am

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I went through the same thing. 2 years ago I was complaining about the quality of the coffee here and my wife somehow managed to persuade me to buy a machine from France and ship the damn thing here.

The coffee now at home (illy I think) is the bet I can get in town but I don't want to drink it there, I want to go outside and experience the coffee shop "thing". I now have the worst of both worlds as I pay 4$ for a shitty coffee when I can have a better cup at home for a third of the price but sit in my home office on my own.


Oh, don't tell the wife any of this…..
I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
Using Tapatalk
User avatar
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am
Reputation: 12
Nigeria

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Garry.Crabtree » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 am

I agree but i have no say in anything that goes on in my own house. My wife (non Khmer) is also a coffee drinker so she gets what she wants, regardless of what i say or want.

Now if only I could get her to agree to a hooker jar.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
User avatar
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Posts: 6077
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Reputation: 185
Location: The Kremlin
Russia

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by vladimir » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:39 am

Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

The buffet is pretty good, too, and I had one of the best omelettes I ever tasted there.

http://hagarcatering.com/index.php/hagar-restaurant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Joker Poker
Expatriate
Posts: 1344
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Reputation: 126

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Joker Poker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 pm

JBTrain wrote: I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
This sounds great, is there any place that you know using these Lao beans in their espressos?
vladimir wrote:Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

The buffet is pretty good, too, and I had one of the best omelettes I ever tasted there.

http://hagarcatering.com/index.php/hagar-restaurant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boncafe doesn't do it for me, but I did slip into the Tin Tin Hotel on 51 for one this morning, coffee okayish, but really overpriced for Boncafe at $2.50, some great eye-candy. There were 3 customers and I counted 12 staff milling around - there were quite likely a few more than I could't see.
User avatar
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Posts: 11330
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am
Reputation: 2087
United States of America

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by frank lee bent » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:49 pm

i bet the illy is a long time off the roaster.

do they quench the Lao beans with lard at the end of roast? or is that one of those urban myths?

the mondulkiri guys seem clueless- advancing the opinion that robusta is superior to arabica.
User avatar
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Posts: 10598
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 am
Reputation: 1026
Australia

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by StroppyChops » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm a coffee snob, but seriously, the Khmer iced coffee (not with milk) is some of the best I've had. Not that fake syrup some of them use, but the pressed stuff our regular girl uses is truly good.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
User avatar
JBTrain
Expatriate
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm
Reputation: 4
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by JBTrain » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Joker Poker wrote:
JBTrain wrote: I wouldn't think of buying llly coffee here for home use. I don't know how much it is here, in the US it's north of $50/kilo WHEN YOU CAN BUY FUCKING AMAZING LAO beans locally for $7/kilo this is, if you'll excuse me, just plain stupid. Really. Spend that savings on a latte at Brown's or hookers or a pesto pizza st Larry's or tip the girls at Garage, you don't need Neil Silver to run the numbers in this one.
This sounds great, is there any place that you know using these Lao beans in their espressos?
vladimir wrote:Hagar Restaurant. St. 310. Boncafe.About $1.50 Lovely.

The buffet is pretty good, too, and I had one of the best omelettes I ever tasted there.

http://hagarcatering.com/index.php/hagar-restaurant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boncafe doesn't do it for me, but I did slip into the Tin Tin Hotel on 51 for one this morning, coffee okayish, but really overpriced for Boncafe at $2.50, some great eye-candy. There were 3 customers and I counted 12 staff milling around - there were quite likely a few more than I could't see.
The Shop used to, which is how I knew to look for the beans, not sure if they still do. I'm guessing the Three Corner Roasters coffees are being used as fresh roasted beans are available and it's politically correct to use the local Cambodian product.
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clutchcargo, hmmmokay, Nav and 70 guests